Mount Marshall via the Calamity Brook Trail

Mount Marshall via the Calamity Brook Trail is a 13.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Elba, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Climb this trail-less peak from Upper Works to claim another 46er and the southernmost peak of the MacIntyre Range. Mt. Marshall is the most southern peak of the beautiful MacIntyre Range but unfortunately it is a bit removed from the next peak, Iroquois Pek, so it does not have any maintained trials to its summit. The clearest herdpath to the top is to follow Herbert Brook from the Flowed Lands just between the Flowed Lands and Lake Colden. You'll have great views up towards Colden on your trip to the base of Herbert Brook but unfortunately the summit of Marshall is wooded with limited views.

I gave this 4 stars even though I do not want to hike again because the hike to Marshall is beautiful. I have no desire to summit again as there is no view. We hiked this as part of a Labor Day backpacking trip. Hiked in 6 miles Friday night to the Allen Marcy junction then hiked Saturday to Allen and Sunday to Marshall. Marshall hike passed Hanging Spears Falls which was incredibly beautiful. Flowed Lands amazing. Difficult climb for us as it was rainy and cold thanks to the Hurricane Harvey aftermath. Overall not a difficult climb comparably. This was 42/46 Peaks hiked for me and definitely not near the toughest just long. I would definitely return to the first part to Hanging Spears Falls and Flowed Lands. If you are not seeking 46er status I would skip the summit and just hike to these two spots.

This was my second time hiking this mountain. It wasn't a bad hike just there was a maze of trails that you had to be careful on which one to take. The summit was socked in clouds but overall a decent hike.

It was a long wet day in the dacks. I wouldn't expect anything else. I parked at Upper Works and walked in. Nothing hard or crazy. Slow and steady assent to the flowed lands. Lots of mud and rain. After the second trail register it was only maybe 30 minutes to cairn which are right at the second lean-tos. From there it is about 60-90 minutes up to the summit. Pay attention because the trail crosses the stream several times and there are several heard paths leading up the mountain. The day I went there were no views.

It was terribly wet and rainy on the day I had climbed. I ascended via Cold Brook herd path from the loj- just after Avalanche Pass. It was probably the best decision I had made... despite it adding about .8 to the hike. What very little the mountain offers in terms of view was even less appreciated on such a rainy, cloudy day. The highlight of the trip was the hike up the cold brook herd path.

Just at the height-of-land between Iroquois and Marshall about 1/4 mile from the cairn to take you up Marshall, I had spotted something White to my left about 100 yards from the herd path in the woods. Walking out there to investigate, I stumbled upon the wreckage from a downed plane. Relatively untouched from (what I would later find out) 1969.

Definitely one of the coolest finds for me in the High Peaks yet!

I have hiked all 46 high peak in the summer and half of them in the winter. It's about a 2 star hike in the summer only because the creek on the way up is somewhat nice. That being said this is by far the worst hike in the adirondacks. It is long and boring, the last 2 miles are one of the worst trails in the adirondacks and when you finally get to the top there isn't much of a view at all just a board that says mount marshall and lots of trees blocking a view of anything. Only do this hike if you are going for all 46 of the adirondack high peaks and don't worry about nice weather because like I said there isn't much to see on this mountain at all.

The hike in was very easy going. We noticed that there was a lot of blow down everywhere on and off the trail. While hiking we ran into rain then as we got further up in elevation it turned to freezing rain. After all that it started to snow lightly. The hike up to the summit was strenuous, it was too strenuous for one of the members of the group that we had to turn around with about a mile left to go to the summit. I will do this hike again.
*Update 11-18-16*
We hiked up to the summit on a very nice November day. A lot of the blowdown was cleared off the trail, but very close to the summit you needed microspikes cause everything was iced over. As we were climbing, we had nice views of Iroquois. It was warm on the summit today. The trails were very muddy.

Easy 4 miles or so to the Flowed Lands. Head around FL toward Colden Dam and just after the Herbert Brook bridge pick up the herdpath up Marshall on the left. Easy to follow, just look for the cairns. Beautiful trail, but very muddy. Typical ADK :)

Sunday, September 18, 2016