Learn more

Mount Marcy via Van Hoevenberg Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(781)
High Peaks Wilderness

Mount Marcy via Van Hoevenberg Trail is a 14.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,513 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Mount Marcy peak is the highest point in New York state within the High Peaks Region. This is a challenging hike due to its length. Starting on the Van Hoevenberg Trail from the Adirondack Loj or near Heart Lake, the trail is easy until you reach Marcy Dam. Once you have reached the dam, you begin climbing up rocky terrain, as the trail is mostly boulders, and this persists most of the way from there on. Stop and take a rest by Phelps Brook and Indian Falls to take in some excellent views. You will want to refill water bottles here as there are no streams the rest of the way. The hiking gets harder as you get closer to the summit. The last 1.2 miles is the toughest climb of the hike and the last push is bedrock that feels steeper than it is. However, the payoff from the Mount Marcy Summit is a fantastic view of the Adirondack high peaks, Mont Royal in Montreal, Canada, and the Green Mountains in Vermont all from the highest peak in the state. This is a popular route within the Adirondack Mountains is heavily traveled, well maintained, and very well marked, however it can be rough on weak ankles. Hiking boots with good ankle support are recommended.

fee
flooded

Me and Kevin did it July 2 /2020 , one of the great experience hiking. Trail full of adventure specially final ascend , but it’s worthy . It was a hot day so we ran out of water so please be mindful and have enough water . Up to Indian falls trail is pretty easy and moderate . We started early morning and took whole day to enjoy different points of trail . Parking at the heart lake loj, fee 15 $ . They also have washroom , small coffee shop .

Hiked this today (7/6/2020) and got there 6:45am, overheard a fellow hiker say he got a speeding ticket on the way there.. Weather was beautiful although parts of the trail was wet and muddy from yesterday’s rainstorm. I accidentally took the ski trail and it was not ideal but still OK. Making it to the summit felt great!

I did the trail 5 July. I started around 2 am and made it to the peak around 5:30 am. The first half of the trail was fairly dry. The second half it was like playing the floor is lava on some points to avoid getting stuck in mud or water. At the peak it was pretty chilly and windy. The benefit of starting so early is avoiding traffic on trail and there wear little to no bugs buzzing around.

Great trail - We did it on Jul-03. Started at 9am and it took us approx 9 hrs to finish the hike. Gradual climb and like most people have said, the last section above the tree line is a bit challenging and may require some rock scrambling. There are sections that are muddy so having waterproof shoes or some form of water resistance is good. Lots of bugs, especially as you get higher up the mountain so bring bug spray and personally I would recommend a mesh/net to cover your face/head. I used my neck gaiter but it wasn’t ideal. Overall, it can be a long day so be prepared. We had 5 liters of water and we ran out by the time we got back to the parking lot. It’s a fun hike. Happy trails!!

Very well maintained trail that was much more rocky than I could've prepared for. Did a sunrise hike where we left at 2 am but closer to 12:30 would've been better. Amazing hike and view.

Awesome trail. We started at 7AM and wouldn’t recommend starting much later. Wear high socks, hiking boots and bring plenty of water.

We hiked this trail on 7/1/20. It was raining off and on with some strong gusty winds at the top. I actually enjoyed hiking in the rain. Very few bugs and lightly trafficked ( probably because of the weather). Although a long hike, it wasn’t difficult until the last mile scramble to the top.It is all rock which was slippery because of the rain. The trip down was a little tough on the knees. ( my knees are 67). I used walking sticks which I found helpful. We each brought 4 bottles of water and drank 2( was a cooler day) Highly recommended hiking boots and an extra pair of socks. We had no trouble parking. The fee was $15 , not $10. You need exact change. There are bathrooms at the bottom which are open 24 hours. We had no internet connection at the bottom but a few spots along the way and definitely at the top. It was a wonderful, memorable experience! It took us 10 hours. We probably made an hours worth of stops along the way. I was hiking with a 30 something and probably slowed him down by an hour or more:) Recommend starting early, an extra layer for the top, waterproof hiking shoes and walking sticks for the older hikers. Good luck !

Hiked on 7/2/2020. Recent storms may have taken a toll on the trail: lots of bugs out, especially mosquitoes, and the trail is very muddy between the Marcy Dam and the last ~1 mile scramble. Not physically difficult (just long) but weak knees or ankles will struggle with all the rocks. The last mile scramble is fun and the best part of the trail. The pay lot at the trailhead was full by 7:45am but was able to park at a trail lot ~1 mile away.

I completed this hike on Saturday June 27th. the trail conditions were perfect and the black flies were not all that bad. expect the length in and out to be roughly 14 to 16 miles. the majority of the hike is quite gradual. the mile leading up to the peak is the steepest with rock scrambling. if you need to resupply your water, do it shortly after you cross the Marcy dam bridge. the views are obviously amazing.

first time i did this Amazin moutain. on 06/25/2020. my newphew a friend and myself, start hiking at 6:30am and make it to the submit 8:49am. if you are a beginner just prepare yourself with planty of time, best part and the one that takes all the energy from you is defanelly the last mile of it in my opinion.... but soon is you get to the peak the views from the top are just priceless...... i would recomend bring yourself a rain coat, it helps to keep you worm from the wind and cold,.... be safe

fee

Today was a perfect day to hike the highest peak in New York! This is my 4th time summiting Marcy. I crushed my personal record and was able to complete the entire 14.2 mile trail in just 5 hours. Other than the muddy and wet spots, the conditions of the trail were fantastic today. In my opinion, the last mile to the summit is the toughest stretch but it’s also my favorite. You’re not only dealing with the effects of high altitude on your lungs but you’re forced to scramble and climb your way up massive boulders for 20-30 minutes until you reach the Summit. During my ascent, I ended up missing a turn above Marcy Dam and in my delusional state, I took a ski trail instead.. Don’t do this unless you want to climb through STEEP overgrowth. It eventually leads back to the normal trail but this took me longer and was a careless mistake. Other than that, the views from the top were incredible as always!