Mount Marcy from Upper Works Trail

Mount Marcy from Upper Works Trail is a 18.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newcomb, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, snowshoeing, and backpacking and is best used from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 18.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,897 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We left from Upperworks Trailhead 10/14/18 7am and Summited Marcy and back to Upperworks by 7pm. Flowed lands, were SUPER wet. High peaks had a good amount of snow and ice. Gaiters/Bring Crampons. Nice long walk for experienced hikers not much foot traffic, hardly saw anybody. If I had to do it again I would hike in 4.5miles to Lake Colden and set up for the night there, leave overnight gear around leanto and summit grab gear on the way out (weather/direction your hiking depending).

Monday, September 21, 2015

I hiked a 25 mile trail with my brother up to the summit and I have to say that it was filled with almost every backpacking challenge you could think of. It was a gorgeous hike on every type of landscape and ended with a great sense of accomplishment!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!! Advise to hikers: take your hiking poles and plenty of water!!

Monday, October 06, 2014

May have been a bit too ambitious as my first overnight hike but I am so glad I did it. Really felt like I accomplished something and the views were amazing. Lake Colden was beautiful. We stayed in a lean to near the top and I think I'd use the hammocks if we did it again. Took the pup along and she must've slept for two days after.

Sunday, July 06, 2014

Difficulty 5/5 Scenery 5/5 This loop is absolutely breath taking. Indian falls is a wonderful half way break and picture stopping point. Summiting isn't difficult but if you are carrying all your gear for an over night, I'd advise dropping it off at a lean to down near the damn and the the whole loop. I did the whole loop with all my gear (not for the inexperienced, difficult). Summit is windy so be prepared to be chilled. The hike out is even more wonderful with the two lakes and the trail doesn't get any easier. It's a wonderful hike but make sure you are prepared. Highly recommended.

Monday, July 02, 2012

I'd never hiked up to Marcy from the Tahawus Preserve. The bit is lightly forested since it was formerly owned and used by industry and not as interesting as the usual Adirondack hike. After this the forest gets thick, you cross a beautiful rushing river (the Hudson) and start uphill. The day we went it started snowing by mid afternoon. We camped at a lean-to near a lake, and the next day went around the lake on the other side of Mt. Marcy. It was an impressive sight with the white frosting of snow on it. There were beautiful views of both Marcy and the Avalanche Pass.

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

We accessed this trail from the Lake Colden Dam and headded up to the uphill lean-to for the night. Good climb with great areas to get some sun on the brook next to the trail. The uphill lean-to is very enclosed with dense vegitation. The there are several tent sites but in wet weather they will be under water. If you can make it go to the feldspar lean-to it has better access to the streams and is more open than that of the up-hill lean-to. Make sure to have your bear canisters since there was alot of bear tracks on the trails around the lean-tos. The trail climbs at a steady pitch with a few steep sections. But overall a good climb.

Sunday, July 15, 2018