Mount Marcy from Johns Brook Lodge

Mount Marcy from Johns Brook Lodge is a 16.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Mt. Marcy is the Highpoint of New York State. This is actually the slightly longer approach to Mt. Marcy but many people think it is a better one because it offers a loop hike at the end using two different trails. If you were to do a loop hike from heart lake you would need to climb over a pass behind Colden and descend quite a bit before ascending Marcy (more elevation change). Also, going this way allows you to camp overnight in the amazing Johns Brook Lodge area where there are plenty of campsites and some great swimming holes in the nearby river of the same name. This is difficult full day but if you want to make it an easy hike you could camp and leave your camp gear around Johns Brook or along several of the lean-to's you will pass by on the Phelps Trail.

There are some great views on this trail; as well as a fair mix of hiking / climbing. This trail is pretty unforgiving on the knees. I'm active military, in great shape, and still had a difficult time with this one. Felt like I got hit by a train when I woke up the morning after. Waterproof and non-slip boots are a must, and extra socks just in case. Recommend hiking poles, but not necessary. It took me and my friend about 10 hours to complete it with about an hour of rest total.

Beautiful and fun hike if you are up to the challenge! Get there early because the parking lot fills up quickly (at least on Saturdays). Round trip, Including a long stop at the summit, It took a friend and I 9.5 hours to complete the hike. We are both very fit, experienced hikers. The first two-thirds of the trail are very easy but the last third is very difficult. My advice: be prepared and give yourself PLENTY of time, especially if you are not in good physical condition!

Hard, but so worth the struggle. Marcy makes you work for it! Very hard on knees and ankles on the descent... bring good poles & use them well!

Great trail. Kinda sucks in December during a blizzard though.

Monday, June 06, 2016

not as bad as I thought. definitely put up a fight going back down.

Monday, September 28, 2015

Fantastic! Did it two years ago and planning on doing it again this fall. Don't do like me, pack light. Plenty of places to fill your water bottle so no need to carry a ton. Make sure your boots are waterproof as the trail goes up a stream for a part of it.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Excellent hike on a beautiful day. I was told by the "ADK Summit Guide" at the top that going down would be faster, but I don't think they went on this trail. The first two miles of the descent took me about two hours! I didn't see anyone else on the branches recommended in this guide and from the number of spider webs/lines I walked through I doubt this is the favored path up. Also, there are a few trail blockages by trees that require minuscule detours through the bush. Worth the soreness!
Total took me a little over 9 hours, including about 30-40 minutes at the top.