Mount Marcy from Adirondak Lodge

Mount Marcy from Adirondak Lodge is a 13.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newcomb, New York that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mount Marcy can be very demanding due to its length. The trail is heavily trafficked and can be rough on weak ankles. Bring warm layers!! From the Adirondak Lodge or near it, the trail is easy until you reach Marcy Dam. The trail is mostly boulders, so it makes for a nice rock-hopping day. Stop and rest by Phelps Brook and Indian Falls, and refill water bottles because there are no streams the rest of the way. The hiking gets harder as you get closer to the summit, and the last push is bedrock that feels steeper than it is.

This is a fantastic trail, bit long, but still great! The last part of the ascent with alpine nature is beautiful!

I also enjoyed explanations provided by the volunteer on top of the mountain! Great job!

Awesome trail! My group did the hike up and down Mt Marcy with backpacks full of gear. It wasn't easy, but deffinetly doable. And the views are just gorgeous! We did it on a quite, sunny day, but I can imagine it gets pretty windy out there. Bring bug spray, or you'll get eaten alive.

very hard work for me to get to the top. not an experienced hiker (now i am) - my first high peak and got the biggest one off the list. i feel accomplished but wasn't easy. the hardest part is when you're approaching the mountain and you have to climb up those steep rocks. seems impossible but you'll get it done. would suggest stopping at the indian falls (really gorgeous view) for a snack. accidentally went up the ski some how (don't ask, idk how i did that) which was .2 miles longer & WAY steeper as u can imagine

Drove 2 hours and did this as a day hike. I'm in decent shape and do 10-15 mile hikes on a regular basis but the unrelenting incline of Mt Marcy left me sore the next day. The views are absolutely spectacular though and the feeling of accomplishment when you hit the summit can't be put into words. You are literally eye level with the clouds. Be sure to start the hike early as it takes most people 5-7 hours to summit. I started at 6am and finished at 6pm (with 2, 20 minute breaks at Indian falls which are worth stopping at and a 30 minute break at the top). If doing this as a day hike I suggest you carry plenty of water or a water filter, food for a few light meals, and warm clothing. The Peak was 30f with the wind chill while below the tree line was 70f. It gets cold fast. 10/10 would do again.

Very good hike, make sure you leave well before lunch if you wanna be able to take your time. There is a waterfall about halfway up that you can go to for a great break. Breathtaking view and I will be back to do it again.

There are some great views on this trail; as well as a fair mix of hiking / climbing. This trail is pretty unforgiving on the knees. I'm active military, in great shape, and still had a difficult time with this one. Felt like I got hit by a train when I woke up the morning after. Waterproof and non-slip boots are a must, and extra socks just in case. Recommend hiking poles, but not necessary. It took me and my friend about 10 hours to complete it with about an hour of rest total.

My favorite mountain yet!!

Hiked on 7/1/17. I'd first like to say that from reading other reviews my bf and I were expecting this to be extremely hard day. However, what we found was it to be a moderate hike with it slightly difficult towards the summit. We have hiked a few times this year in the White Mountains and found those to be quite more challenging. It took us 3 hours to the summit with no stops and some hustle. Very gradual trail with a nice wide path. It got rocky after the dam but again nowhere near what we were expecting. The views were amazing on this gorgeous day. We stayed up there for 40 minutes and practically jogged our way down. Stopped by the Falls on way down for about 30 minutes. If you're in good shape and have hiked a few mountains you'll find Marcy to be a great day. Took us 7 hours total with a little over an hour of rest. We booked a campsite for $45 which was awesome. Showers/bathrooms available and access to an amazing lake. Our advice is to definitely put this one on the list! If you're not an avid hiker just give yourself more time but it's not too technical so a good one for just about anyone taking the time to read this review. Happy hiking!!

Great hike. The trail is well maintained. The hike up is almost as beautiful as the summit. The only downfall is that it is well traveled and may be crowded.

This was my first high peak and only my 3rd completed hike. It was the most difficult day of my life, mentally and physically. I've had foot surgery and I have mild tachycardia so it was definitely a challenge. The rock scrambling at the end was tough and the trip back down seemed to take forever!!!! Lol
I'm incredibly proud of myself and my friend who went with me and the views are most certainly worth it!!! Be prepared for a tough day

Great hike with the summit making it worth the distance. Left ADK Loj around 0645 and there was barely anyone on the trail or at the summit when I arrived (1028). Passed a dozen or so parties on the way down.
Mostly bouldering or using medium to large rocks to ascend past Indian Falls. The rocks, when wet, can make for a tricky descent. Make sure the tread on your boots is not worn down.
Not for novice or out of shape hikers but not a technically challenging climb either. Hiking stick or trekking poles can help with the climb and descent.

This is a very well marked trail, follow the blue trail markers up to Marcy. There is a part of the trail that was closed off today and a very muddy detour trail was in place. I recommend any first time hikers stopping at Indian Falls on the way up, it's a quick few extra steps and worth the view. Summit was beautiful today.

Only reason it's 4 stars instead of 5, is due to the weather on 7/15/17; rainy, cloudy, and no views, although it was cool to seem like we were on the edge of the world being in the clouds. BUT awesome hike, moderately challenging for fit person, fun scrambles, great flora to view on the way. Great mixed test of strength and stamina for a beginner. Will definitely do again to get the views missed out on yesterday.