Mount Marcy from Adirondak Lodge

Mount Marcy from Adirondak Lodge is a 13.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newcomb, New York that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mount Marcy can be very demanding due to its length. The trail is heavily trafficked and can be rough on weak ankles. Bring warm layers!! From the Adirondak Lodge or near it, the trail is easy until you reach Marcy Dam. The trail is mostly boulders, so it makes for a nice rock-hopping day. Stop and rest by Phelps Brook and Indian Falls, and refill water bottles because there are no streams the rest of the way. The hiking gets harder as you get closer to the summit, and the last push is bedrock that feels steeper than it is.

I've only done 4 46ers before doing Marcy today. I was a bit worried but it wasn't as bad as I though! It's very gradual until you get to the top then there's much steeper parts either lots of rocks. Totally manageable and completely worth it! Feet hurt but heart happy :) beautiful views

A lot of bouldering (hiking on rocks), windy at the top, epic view - all around good stuff!

great hike! bring windbreaker!

The last two miles to the summit is rough but an all around great hike

Hike any time of year but always check conditions and be ready for a hard day in the ADK

Did this hike yesterday (5/20) and had perfect weather. The trail had spots of snow towards the top but we did it with out spikes which was more of a pain coming down. The way up went by fast with a gradual incline, took about 5hours with a few stops. On the way back it took us 4 hours including a stop at the falls which was a perfect spot to rest. The hike was long but it was worth the view!!!!

wife and I hiked up to the summit today (5/18), and couldn't have asked for better weather. Started at 730am, and were relaxing on top by 1pm. About a 1/2 mile past Indian Falls though, we encountered a good deal of snow & ice, which lasted on & off until getting above the tree line. While not impossible without micros pikes, would definitely recommend them. Wish we had some haha. Took our sweet time coming down, stopping again for a break at the falls, and got back to the Loj at 6. Not a single cloud at the summit, complete 360° view. Temps in the 80s today, but pretty cool & windy up there. Got hit by some rain on the hike back between the split to Phelps and the trailhead, but nothing crazy. Amazing hike.

Did the hike yesterday with my brother - took us 5 up and 4 down. Visibility was poor at the top, and 2/3 of trail covered in packed snow and ice so spikes were a must. Very challenging but well worth it, especially the different flora you see towards the top. Coming down was hard as the trail is very rocky the last two miles to the dam. Would do it again hopefully with better views. It's very wet and had to cross a stream, my feet were totally submerged, if you can stay dry hats off. All well worth it tho!

I did this mountain as my introduction to Adirondack hiking about a year and a half ago. Though not an easy trail at almost 14 miles, it's also not as hard as some other, shorter trails in the region.

I went on a very cloudy day so I didn't get the views that some of the others here were treated to. My summit consisted of fog and 30 degree windy weather. But no rain at least. Just below the peak, under the clouds, the views are incredible. No words can describe the views.

My favorite part of this trail (probably because the summit was so foggy) was Indian Falls.. a small waterfall about 2/3 or so of the way up. Very peaceful and VERY VERY beautiful. The view from the Marcy dam is also incredible, but from a much lower vantage point.

My advice to anyone who's never been on this trail... be prepared. It was about 65 degrees at the Adirondack Loj when I started and the summit was extremely windy and in the mid 30's about 4 hours later. Also, be prepared for several miles of broken rock hiking. It's not too bad, but if you're not used to it, your feet will be sore on the way back down.

Ultimately, the views are worth the time you put in. I was able to summit from the Loj in about 4 hours or so. However, it was late summer and there was very little mud also. There are camping spots along the way as well if you have a tent. Very enjoyable and peaceful hike.

Haaaaard mountain for a beginner lol well at least for my friends and I. Beautiful sceneries!!!!!

fantastic views! I definitely plan to do it again.

Amazing trail. My first time snowshoeing, great hike!