Mount Jo Loop Trail

Mount Jo Loop Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mount Jo stands 700 ft. over Heart Lake near ADK Loj south of Lake Placid in the heart of the High Peaks Zone of the Adirondacks. Mt. Jo has two trails that lead to its summit. The summit offers spectacular views of the High Peaks and the MacIntyre range and is a great hike for the kids. This is a very short two mile loop hike that will bring you to the top of a wonderful little peak above Heart Lake with just over 600 feet of climbing. It's a great hike for little kids or an older family member who you would like to get into the outdoors. It's also a good hike if you have time and energy after another shorter 46er hike like Phelps or maybe Tabletop.

Use the “short” at least for half the hike.

My husband, son and I hiked this trail up and back in 1.5 hours. Took the short trail up and long trail back. Small summit, but still beautiful. Our almost 5 year old had no issues at all navigating the climb. We avoided the crowds by starting out around 4PM on a Saturday. Nice hike overall. Enjoyed the quiet and views of the trail throughout.

Definitely not an easy trail for some, but my 8 year old made it through. I suggest the Short, steep, rocky trail up, and then the Long, less rocky, less rough on the knees way down. I can't imagine the short trail down with all those rocks. View was not great, weather wasn't clear (hence only four stars). Not a lot of room up top, but a decent amount to chill for a bit.

Great trail for beginners and families with kids. Suggest taking the long trail up and the short trail down.

Great hike, but pretty crowded on the trail. I would only recommend for weekday when it’s slightly less busy. Parking lot fills up early on the weekend.

Challenging relatively short hike with a wonderful view at the top. We took the longer route up and back. Some areas with rocks to navigate and some wooden ladders to reach the summit. There were some slippery rocks due to recent rain but overall the hike is very do-able with some careful attention to footing. We added on the south camp loop around the lake which was easy.

Followed previous reviewers advice and went up short trail first and took longer trail down.A lot of rocks heading up but nothing too hard.We were fortunate enough that today there was only about 5 people on the trail besides ourselves so it was nice and quiet and we got to enjoy the summit.

My first hike ever, it was *amazing*! Great difficulty.

Beautiful views! Easy hike!

Best bang for your buck hike in the Adirondacks. Good for the whole family, amazing summit views. Short trail is steeper, long is more gradual. Perfect for an afternoon or early morning hike.

Beautiful views at the summit. We went up the steeper, shorter trail and came back down the longer way. I would recommend this to save your knees.

This is a nice hike if you want to stay close to home. It was extremely hot when I was on the Lake and wanted to be close for comfort so this was a great choice. The short ascent is relatively challenging but rewarding at the top as you’ll have views of some of the high peaks to the south and the lake and some nice views to the east. I chose to go back down the way I came but the loop is a more gradual decent. Total moving time can be anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour or two depending on your pace.

t

Fantastic loop to do if you wanted to squeeze one in after a long day! The views were amazing, was pretty easy but there are steep parts that can be difficult for a novice hiker.

Take the shorter steeper trail up and the longer trail down to save your knees. There are definitely some steep sections with little shade leaving you exposed to the sun. Wonderful view at the summit making it one of my favorite hikes in the region. If you are a camper check out the heart lake campground!

Loved this trail. Not too crowded on Memorial weekend. A few muddy areas. Easy on some sections but definitely steep on the “short” side. I recommend going up the long side and down the short. It’s a beautiful view from the top with some nice stair/ladder sections to help you get up to the summit. Not as many bugs as on other trails. $5 for members, $10 for nonmembers to park but lots of trails are available once you’re there.

The trail was great, extremely well groomed, however I felt 10 dollars to park was a bit ridiculous.

We really enjoyed this hike. Had our dog with us and she made the climb with no problems as well. We went up the short trail and down the long. Really enjoyed the views! All of the ice mentioned previously is gone now.

ﹰGreat trail ! -- we went up the short trail and down the long trail --- both trails COVERED in ice. spikes on your shoes are an absolute must! Short trail has a few steep pitches with larger boulders - long trail is more mellow but even more ice right now -- long trail also follow a stream so be careful not to get your shoes too wet!

the was an easy climb with a wonderful view. there are no views till the summit though. for snowshoeing stick to the long trail. the short trail is not good oon snowshoes.

Did this in snowshoes. Up short trail, down long trail. The sun was out when I got to the summit so I took a short nap. Out and back within two hours. Took my time. Pretty icicles along the trail.

We took the long trail up and down on 3/17/18 with our Golden Retriever. Beautiful winter hike. Most people were using snowshoes but we used crampons and had no issues. There are definitely some steep icy areas that would be difficult to pass with just hiking boots. We recommend Pawz disposable waterproof dog booties if you’re bringing your pup. They make life easy and avoid having to worry about injured paws. The hike up was a little bit harder and icier then we anticipated but it was still lots of fun and the views from the summit were well worth it. The hike down was slightly sketchy and quick due to some slipping and sliding but it was an absolute blast. I’d definitely recommend this hike to anyone looking for a quick easy/moderate winter hike.

Did this on Sunday. Wow, it was icy ! In winter snowshoes are a must and for what it’s worth it would have been impossible with my dog. Nice view and the loop made for an interesting hike both in and out.

Amazing view during the winter and an even more interesting hike up after a snow fall so beautiful

Not the best trail for snowshoeing as there’s a lot of rocks and not a lot of snow to cover them. The view is nice and the hike didn’t take us super long (about 1.5h).

Took the short trail, make sure you’re warm! -8F at the top. Might need snow shoes if going the long way. Lots of snow on the trail right now.

Quick, easy hike with great views.

I hiked this trail on the same day I was driving home, so I didn’t want to over do it. I had done Porter and Cascade Mountains the day before. It took me 50 minutes to reach the peak as I’m a bit slower, but I’m a firm believer in “ stop and smell the coffee “ motto. I’m still new to this hiking in the peaks region, and am planning my next trip already!

Great short hike with amazing views of the High Peaks. Short Trail is challenging enough to get you sweating on the way up even though this isn’t a high peak.

Great hike! Definitely take the short trail up and long trail down. The views are amazing. Took my two dogs up the mountain and they loved it too.