Mount Jo Loop Trail

Mount Jo Loop Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mount Jo stands 700 ft. over Heart Lake near ADK Loj south of Lake Placid in the heart of the High Peaks Zone of the Adirondacks. Mt. Jo has two trails that lead to its summit. The summit offers spectacular views of the High Peaks and the MacIntyre range and is a great hike for the kids. This is a very short two mile loop hike that will bring you to the top of a wonderful little peak above Heart Lake with just over 600 feet of climbing. It's a great hike for little kids or an older family member who you would like to get into the outdoors. It's also a good hike if you have time and energy after another shorter 46er hike like Phelps or maybe Tabletop.

I hiked this trail on the same day I was driving home, so I didn’t want to over do it. I had done Porter and Cascade Mountains the day before. It took me 50 minutes to reach the peak as I’m a bit slower, but I’m a firm believer in “ stop and smell the coffee “ motto. I’m still new to this hiking in the peaks region, and am planning my next trip already!

Great short hike with amazing views of the High Peaks. Short Trail is challenging enough to get you sweating on the way up even though this isn’t a high peak.

Great hike! Definitely take the short trail up and long trail down. The views are amazing. Took my two dogs up the mountain and they loved it too.

For how short a hike that this was, I am really impressed with the payoff view at the summit. My wife and I did the short trail up and the long trail down. They both take about the same time to ascend; around an hour, but we were working pretty hard on the way up the short trail.
This is a trail that is good for everyone. We saw older folks and young kids making their way up.

This was me and my wife's first real hiking experience. We are fairly active, her more then myself, and we brought our 18 month old daughter. If we would have had a better child carrier for her it would have been much better but all in all it was not too hard of a hike. We took the short trail up and the long trail down which I would definitely recommend, the long trail is much easier on your legs. Beautiful summit for a short hike! I think it took is about 2 hours total including the 15-20 minutes we took on the summit to hang out. We went mid-day on September 26th and only saw about 10 other people the entire hike and only had to share the summit with one other person for a short while, but I think we got lucky.

Incredible views, moderate and enjoyable hiking trail to summit.

Completed this hike along with my 2 Siberian Huskies. Started out a little earlier in the morning and didn't encounter anyone until the summit. Took the long trail up and the short trail down. A nice length trail for someone who hikes with dogs and a beautiful view at the top for all

One of the most beautiful summit views I have ever experienced in the ADKs, IMHO. If you want a taste of the Adirondacks or just want a nice hike, this mountain is a great choice! Small summit but great views of the High Peaks above and Heart Lake below. Took the time to hike up the long (easier) trail and also down with my SIL, Monday, September 11. Already looking forward to hiking this again!

I climbed this in early September. It was raining on the beginning. We took the short trail up. It was a climb. And you needed to make sure of your footing. The summit views were rewarding. On the way down, we took the long trail. It was worth it. I would recommend to all.

I hiked this in mid-August and it was the first mountain I've ever climbed. I took the short, steep trail up and the long trail down, which I would recommend. It was a bit challenging near the summit, but not exhausting or discouraging, perfect for a beginning hiker. The views are amazing, especially for such a short, fairly easy hike. I took my small dog and she enjoyed it too. She was able to climb up the short trail without assistance. There was a volunteer at the top who answered questions about the mountain and pointed out which of the High Peaks were visible from the summit. There were several other people hiking that day, and it was nice chatting with them along the way and on the summit. Took about 2 hours round trip. I would definitely recommend this trail to anyone.

Climb Mt Jo over 30 times over the years and the summit view never disappoints.