Mount Jo Loop Trail

Mount Jo Loop Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mount Jo stands 700 ft. over Heart Lake near ADK Loj south of Lake Placid in the heart of the High Peaks Zone of the Adirondacks. Mt. Jo has two trails that lead to its summit. The summit offers spectacular views of the High Peaks and the MacIntyre range and is a great hike for the kids. This is a very short two mile loop hike that will bring you to the top of a wonderful little peak above Heart Lake with just over 600 feet of climbing. It's a great hike for little kids or an older family member who you would like to get into the outdoors. It's also a good hike if you have time and energy after another shorter 46er hike like Phelps or maybe Tabletop.

Took the short trail, make sure you’re warm! -8F at the top. Might need snow shoes if going the long way. Lots of snow on the trail right now.

Quick, easy hike with great views.

I hiked this trail on the same day I was driving home, so I didn’t want to over do it. I had done Porter and Cascade Mountains the day before. It took me 50 minutes to reach the peak as I’m a bit slower, but I’m a firm believer in “ stop and smell the coffee “ motto. I’m still new to this hiking in the peaks region, and am planning my next trip already!

Great short hike with amazing views of the High Peaks. Short Trail is challenging enough to get you sweating on the way up even though this isn’t a high peak.

Great hike! Definitely take the short trail up and long trail down. The views are amazing. Took my two dogs up the mountain and they loved it too.

For how short a hike that this was, I am really impressed with the payoff view at the summit. My wife and I did the short trail up and the long trail down. They both take about the same time to ascend; around an hour, but we were working pretty hard on the way up the short trail.
This is a trail that is good for everyone. We saw older folks and young kids making their way up.

This was me and my wife's first real hiking experience. We are fairly active, her more then myself, and we brought our 18 month old daughter. If we would have had a better child carrier for her it would have been much better but all in all it was not too hard of a hike. We took the short trail up and the long trail down which I would definitely recommend, the long trail is much easier on your legs. Beautiful summit for a short hike! I think it took is about 2 hours total including the 15-20 minutes we took on the summit to hang out. We went mid-day on September 26th and only saw about 10 other people the entire hike and only had to share the summit with one other person for a short while, but I think we got lucky.

Incredible views, moderate and enjoyable hiking trail to summit.

Completed this hike along with my 2 Siberian Huskies. Started out a little earlier in the morning and didn't encounter anyone until the summit. Took the long trail up and the short trail down. A nice length trail for someone who hikes with dogs and a beautiful view at the top for all

One of the most beautiful summit views I have ever experienced in the ADKs, IMHO. If you want a taste of the Adirondacks or just want a nice hike, this mountain is a great choice! Small summit but great views of the High Peaks above and Heart Lake below. Took the time to hike up the long (easier) trail and also down with my SIL, Monday, September 11. Already looking forward to hiking this again!

I climbed this in early September. It was raining on the beginning. We took the short trail up. It was a climb. And you needed to make sure of your footing. The summit views were rewarding. On the way down, we took the long trail. It was worth it. I would recommend to all.

I hiked this in mid-August and it was the first mountain I've ever climbed. I took the short, steep trail up and the long trail down, which I would recommend. It was a bit challenging near the summit, but not exhausting or discouraging, perfect for a beginning hiker. The views are amazing, especially for such a short, fairly easy hike. I took my small dog and she enjoyed it too. She was able to climb up the short trail without assistance. There was a volunteer at the top who answered questions about the mountain and pointed out which of the High Peaks were visible from the summit. There were several other people hiking that day, and it was nice chatting with them along the way and on the summit. Took about 2 hours round trip. I would definitely recommend this trail to anyone.

Climb Mt Jo over 30 times over the years and the summit view never disappoints.

Disappointed with the obscured view of Heart Lake from the summit and the crowd of people at the top, the lack of light throughout the hike, over worn trails, too many people- not 5mins of silence before the sound of chatter overtook the trail. We took the short trail up and long trail down- a lot of rocks and clambering- definitely on the hard end of moderate. There are better hikes to prioritize than this one. Seems like this hike has been recommended for children, dogs and elderly and it's not appropriate for either but overrun by all 3 groups.

This is a great hike for a family if you want to get a "Highpeak's" experience, without having to actually climb a Highpeak. We took the longer trail to get to the top, taking approximately one hour to ascend and one hour to descend. Our group included age ranges from five years old to 68 years old. The views from the summit were exactly what you would expect for being in the high peaks region. There was no Geo desk on top of the mountain that we noticed. There were no areas to fill any water along this trail. The parking was at the Adirondack loj so as usual, parking can be a challenge and is $10 if you stay in the lot. There was a small little cabin area for kids to explore with different items from the local forest before you get to the trailhead and our kids enjoyed that.

Overall a relatively easy hike with a phenomenal view from the summit for such little effort. Definitely recommend it if you have a young family.

Great scenic trail. Good place for the whole family to experience what hiking is like. Gives you a good feel for what an Adirondack hike is like. Great views of the high peaks and heart lake from the summit.

The only downside to the hike was that it was like being at the mall. Noisy and crowded.

Short and sweet! Definitely would recommend going up the short/steep way and down the long way; it's easier on the knees that way.

Great trail for first-time little girl hikers. 4, 6 and 8. Went up the short route, down the long. Short is some significant crawling up rocks but not bad at all. Beautiful view from the top. Great bang for the buck hike.

This is a hidden gem and one of the best views of the Great Range that you can find for minimal effort. A great hike to introduce a first timer to the Daks for what a High Peak climb feels like. Loved it and so did my 8 & 6 year old.

I would not consider this hike as easy because it ends up being very steep, but the good thing is it's only for a short while. Once you really start feeling it in your legs is about when you reach the summit. The views at the top are so so worth it too. Took me about an hour round trip, I went up the easier/longer way and down the harder/shorter way. Which I would definitely recommend doing it this way as the short way is VERY steep and honestly not much shorter. Bring your bathing suit to go on the beach and swim in heart lake after your hike! This will make for a great day :)