Mount Beacon Trail

Mount Beacon Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beacon, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

14 minutes ago

Difficult but worth it once completed!

I’m a novice hiker and Mt. Beacon was my first hike ever... since trying it a few years ago I’ve been on other hikes and I never considered Mt. Beacon to be hard. It’s a moderate hike up the rocks but you don’t need to use all 4 like in a more challenging hikes.

You can't see it on this map, but at mile 2.3 where you're supposed to go left on yellow, the red trail actually continues south. Easy to miss that turn on yellow - keep your eyes peeled! And if red markers go from small circles to big squares, you've gone too far. Great route, once you get past traffic to the fire tower.

It’s a great trail and the views would of been great if the weather allowed. However the trail markers disappeared at one point so I was unable to do the complete loop.

Awesome trail, great workout. My GF and I hiked about 10 miles through here, some great views! We took a few people's suggestions below, and went clockwise, there were barely any people for most of the trail thanks to that. Only gripe was the bugs, jeez there were so many flies attacking me! Even with dousing myself in off multiple times.

Beautiful landscape, particularly when the trees have foliage on them, like yesterday! Fair warning though - we had a hard time figuring out which color trail markers to follow because there wasn't a map at the trailhead! We got lost several times and noticed a bunch of people around us seemed lost as well - doubling back the way they came and looking confused.

loved the views from the top. definitely worth the hike

Some of the most amazing views I have ever had the pleasure of taking in. A good, strenuous hike with major payoffs. A good amount of people were on the trail along with me despite being early on a Tuesday morning.

Hiked this last weekend, and it was great! Took my Eno up, hung it, and relaxed at the top for a couple hours. Beautiful

Only made it as far as the fire tower, due to snowy conditions. The start of the hike up to the casino is brutal and almost totally uphill. Nice views from there, but the real money shot is the fire tower, with 360 degree views of the Hudson, the Catskills, a beautiful little lake. Fire tower could use some repairs and it's a little daunting to climb, but the view is worth it! Unfortunately knuckleheads gave coveted it and some of the nearby rocks in graffiti (same with the incline railway ruins). Also some litter on the trail here and there. People ain't no good. The descent was tricky, very steep in places so we really had to watch our footing on the snow. Probably needed winter boots. Would like to come back to hike the full loop when conditions are less difficult.

Went there recently with my son while the trails were snow covered. A bit challenging due to the ground conditions but worth the hike to see the view from the top. We went up to the Wheel House and plateau and didn’t go to the Fire Tower which was about a mile further hike. We plan on going back in the warmer months and explore more of this areas.

It’s not a difficult hike but can be a long one. There is a lake near the mountain top though it is off the main trail route but worth the detour. This trail is recommended for those who are new into hiking or still developing likings for it.

it's a well balanced hike with less crowd than neighbouring Breakneck Ridge.

Did this loop backwards intentionally. Started heading north and then looped back south to reach the fire tower and casino ruins.

This was an 8 mile hike.

The waterfall was a sight first thing in the morning. The panorama shot looking south toward the fire tower was a heck of a vista as well.

The fire tower and the casino ruins themselves were a bit unremarkable if I’m being honest.

The crowds of day-trippers roaming around the Beacon overlook made me feel out of place after spending the previous 7 hours immersed in nature.

Call me a purist, but it was too much juxtaposition for me.

Anyways, I recommend 7 out of 10.

Beautiful season

Amazing first hike. Can’t believe I went for a hard one. All the way to the top. Beautiful. Exhilarating

-The map is a bit off. The whole loop is actually around 7 miles.
-I recommend going early so you have some time to take pictures, especially in the fire tower.
-The hardest part is the beginning stretch before the firetower, everything gets easier after that.
- Wear long pants! The trail is covered by overgrown plants (yellow trail) so if you are wearing shorts, you will get scratched up
-There will be some steep sections but you get time to catch your breathe afterwards.
-Highly recommend, firetower was very cool and you get to see some random vehicle parts (weird) toward the end and then a waterfall in the end.

Steep with loose gravel. Great views, but a little crowded on the weekends. Well marked and easy to follow the markers.

Hard the first climb untill the flags, after that you are already warmed up!!!

If your looking for huge crowds, littered trails, inexperienced hikers that cut switchbacks.... this might be enjoyable for you.

Great views! Some rock scrambling to keep it interesting! Yellow and white trails were less crowded than the red trail. The waterfall was a NICE surprise! Highly recommend this hike. Almost 9 miles with the water tower.

It's pretty intense, but worth the view

It's pretty intense, but worth the view

Please ensure that you enlarge the map. I did the 8.5mile and had a printed map from alltrails website which was not enlarged and that just has the transition over to yellow instead of white. The white portion of this trail is not on the map unless you enlarge the map to see.

This was a great and strenuous hike. The view from a top the fire tower was great.

steep...

So amazing...

Amazing

Nice views, but be cautious of the loose rocks

Great trail. The first half is somewhat steep uphill and then it gets a lot easier after the wheel house. Fantastic views from halfway up and again at the top.