Mount Beacon Trail

Mount Beacon Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Beacon, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Some trails intersect with other trails, which can get confusing. Otherwise an amazing and beautiful hike. While it can be tempting to just hit the overlook, doing this entire loop is well worth it!

This trail was tough in the beginning, but excellent. The trail map said it would be 8.2 miles, but the app recorded 6.2 miles. Nevertheless, this hike was great with beautiful views and a waterfall.

Awesome f*cking trail!

I don't understand why people think it's uninteresting.
Probably because they didn't do the whole loop.
Super worth it, long enough, several views and a waterfall.
My suggestion: start from the waterfall side, so that you get the best views at the end of the hike.
Careful when the yellow trail crosses the blue trail. You won't stay in the blue for long and you actually will go for a bit on an unmarked trail!
As long as you use the app you will be ok.
I was by myself and had the best time!

Miserable up: uninteresting, plodding, and loose gravel and stone (slip, slide, soar/sore). The ruins are interesting but getting a photo may take a minute because other hikers decided to picnic on them. Would have rather hiked Breakneck a few more times.

For the firetower: follow the red blazes until you see white blazes on your right and take that to the tower. Also, no scrambles, at least not from the trail head to the tower.

Hiked the red trail only to the fire tower and back. Nice steady heart-massaging climb with the big vista reward at the top. Hudson Highlands is one of the beauty spots of the world. Downside is it's a bit crowded, too much litter and graffiti, and the loose stone path can be tough on the way down.

Average hike. I have hiked a lot in the New England area and they have fantastic hikes there. This was a good hike till the top of the fire tower. After that, it levels (almost flat) and there isn’t much to offer. Also, I saw a 3-4 feet snake right on the trail which was pretty scary.

I only hiked to the fire tower and back. The views at the overlook and the fire tower are well worth the steep journey up. Lots of unmarked trails so be sure to pay close attention to the markers.

Some tough rocky terrain and some flat hill incline and descents.. also a few different trail and lengths you can go on, fishing spots, all in all a well rounded hike

awesome trail to get the heart rate going. it's a steep incline but well worth it once you get to the fire tower!

Great trail, intense when going uphill but the views are absolutely worth it

It was a great hike with superb scenic on the top. But be aware of stairs and immediate inclining hill (with lots of rocks) in the beginning, which sadly made our friends gave up the hike...

I started on the red trail. Now let me warn you right now, this hike is extremely difficult because of how steep, rocky and narrow the trails are. I did the entire loop and if it wasn’t for my phone gps guiding me I’d be getting lost. It’s like a maze. The good side of this was the views from the tower. I have never seen anything so beautiful in my entire life. Plus, I got caught in the rain and mist! I was so tired close to the end, sleepy, hungry and in pain lol.

This was an enjoyable hike. Some of the views are breathtaking.
If I were to do it again, I will just do the red trail to the fire tower and back, as thats where the best views are. The yellow trail was long and did not offer much in terms of scenery.

I loved this hike! I'm an asthmatic and I forgot my inhaler, so I had to take frequent stops, but the view from the top was completely worth it. Absolutely breathtaking!

Good hike that’s accessible from NYC by train. I’m a decently fit 20-something and found the hike up to be challenging. Nice views but very busy - you won’t be the only one on this hike during the summer. We only went to the fire tower, and we were briefly turned around when trail markers disappeared. Pay attention to the path, and make sure you hook back in to the red trail on the way back from the tower! If all else fails, there is service and the trail is marked on Maps.

Beautiful views. Really good exercise. Well traveled. Good times!!

Difficult but worth it once completed!

I’m a novice hiker and Mt. Beacon was my first hike ever... since trying it a few years ago I’ve been on other hikes and I never considered Mt. Beacon to be hard. It’s a moderate hike up the rocks but you don’t need to use all 4 like in a more challenging hikes.

You can't see it on this map, but at mile 2.3 where you're supposed to go left on yellow, the red trail actually continues south. Easy to miss that turn on yellow - keep your eyes peeled! And if red markers go from small circles to big squares, you've gone too far. Great route, once you get past traffic to the fire tower.

It’s a great trail and the views would of been great if the weather allowed. However the trail markers disappeared at one point so I was unable to do the complete loop.

Awesome trail, great workout. My GF and I hiked about 10 miles through here, some great views! We took a few people's suggestions below, and went clockwise, there were barely any people for most of the trail thanks to that. Only gripe was the bugs, jeez there were so many flies attacking me! Even with dousing myself in off multiple times.

Beautiful landscape, particularly when the trees have foliage on them, like yesterday! Fair warning though - we had a hard time figuring out which color trail markers to follow because there wasn't a map at the trailhead! We got lost several times and noticed a bunch of people around us seemed lost as well - doubling back the way they came and looking confused.

loved the views from the top. definitely worth the hike

Some of the most amazing views I have ever had the pleasure of taking in. A good, strenuous hike with major payoffs. A good amount of people were on the trail along with me despite being early on a Tuesday morning.

Hiked this last weekend, and it was great! Took my Eno up, hung it, and relaxed at the top for a couple hours. Beautiful

Only made it as far as the fire tower, due to snowy conditions. The start of the hike up to the casino is brutal and almost totally uphill. Nice views from there, but the real money shot is the fire tower, with 360 degree views of the Hudson, the Catskills, a beautiful little lake. Fire tower could use some repairs and it's a little daunting to climb, but the view is worth it! Unfortunately knuckleheads gave coveted it and some of the nearby rocks in graffiti (same with the incline railway ruins). Also some litter on the trail here and there. People ain't no good. The descent was tricky, very steep in places so we really had to watch our footing on the snow. Probably needed winter boots. Would like to come back to hike the full loop when conditions are less difficult.

Went there recently with my son while the trails were snow covered. A bit challenging due to the ground conditions but worth the hike to see the view from the top. We went up to the Wheel House and plateau and didn’t go to the Fire Tower which was about a mile further hike. We plan on going back in the warmer months and explore more of this areas.

It’s not a difficult hike but can be a long one. There is a lake near the mountain top though it is off the main trail route but worth the detour. This trail is recommended for those who are new into hiking or still developing likings for it.

it's a well balanced hike with less crowd than neighbouring Breakneck Ridge.