Mount Beacon Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(693)
Mount Beacon Park

Mount Beacon Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Beacon, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,791 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Note: This trail is currently closed due to COVID-19. This route starts at Mt. Beacon Park. It ascends for a while on the Casino Trail, then takes an unnamed trail (yellow) which cuts over to the Fishkill Ridge Trail (white), onto which you make a right turn. Shortly after you cross Dry Brook, you reach the base of Rainbow Falls (a cascade). Continue up the Fishkill Ridge Trail until it crosses a dirt utility road, shortly after which you turn right onto an unblazed woods road, which, in a little while, is joined from the right by an unnamed trail (blue). Turn right at the intersection with the Wilkinson Trail (yellow), which ascends to Scofield Ridge where there are periodic views, initially to east, but later to the south (including NYC). Where the Wilkinson Trail meets the Casino Trail (red), take a right turn onto the latter. In about 1/4 mile, turn left onto the Breakneck Ridge Trail (white), climbing up to the Beacon fire tower, with its incredible panoramic views. Take the old route of the Breakneck Trail down to the Casino Trail (red), onto which you turn left. Follow this trail past the ruins of the casino (great views to the NW) as well as the hoist machinery for the incline railroad, then continue down to your starting point at Mt. Beacon Park.

amazing trail, very tough but worth it ! go around the backside of the top structure and you will be taken to a very serene beacon reservoir keep going on the yellow trail down the mountain in the woods to amazing waterfalls

closed

Great trail!

nice trail, but the part leading up to the fire tower is overwhelmed with hikers.

The trail is open, a previous review mentioned that the trail is closed due to a fire, but only Breakneck Ridge is closed, this trail is open.

This was a memorable hike. I found it to be closer to 8 miles. I did it clockwise. As you begin, you travel up a steep wide path, then you reach an endless staircase..killer, then head left. The hike now starts and consists of so many uphill climbs, but each one rewards you with a beautiful view. The views are endless and the waterfall is also nice. Toward the end of this hike, you will reach the Mt beacon overlook area...there were lots of ppl here and it’s a cool spot to hang out. The end of the hike is obviously allllll downhill. Took me 5 hours but I stopped to enjoy the views many times. I loved this hike and it hard but rewarding. As I hiked, I noticed smoke coming from a mountain in the distance ... sure enough, the mountain is on fire and now the area is closed. Sad. I’m grateful to have done it before this tragedy.

icy

a bit of ice on the north part of the loop (yellow trail) but nothing you couldn't get around if not wearing traction.

icy

Our first trip up the Mountain was very unexpected. we made it up to the one mile point. Rocks galore, ice and mud on the trail. we've only been Hiking for 3 weeks.

icy

Well, my plan was to hike the whole trail, starting from Pocket Rd. Since I got a late start , I didn’t feel comfortable doing the whole loop. I felt as though I would run out of daylight. I cut down the black dashed trail to the reservoir and then took the yellow and white trail back to my car. Passed a total of four people the whole time. Very scenic, snow-covered, And a good work out. Next time I will start a lot earlier so that I have time to do the whole loop.