Moreau Lake Overlooks Trail

Moreau Lake Overlooks Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gansevoort, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a short hike up to some great overlooks over both Moreau Lake to the east and the Hudson River to the west This is an easy hike appropriate for young children or older parents to get them out into the woods for some nice views. The overlook is on Palmertown Mountain.

Great short hike for all levels - very good views at the top... Just do it!

While visiting family who camped at the state park I had to check out the trails. The trail itself has quite a bit of rocks for the short hike it is. Once I got to the overlook I thought it would be more of a “jaw dropping” view. You can sit on the rock and see the lake through the trees. I’ve walked the trails around the water and would recommend overlook. I hiked this with my brother before work and thought it was moderate and did not take us long at all. I think waiting for him to let go from swinging on the vines like a monkey was what took up more time!!

I rate this 2 stars because of the view from the top. Getting there was ridiculous. We paid $2 for the trail map and couldn’t figure it out to save our lives. What should have been a two-mile walk turned into a nine-mile steep hike we were unprepared for. Because we were wearing regular hiking shoes, we tried another route down the mountain and ended up in another park altogether. The park guard refused to take our names and it turned into a race against sundown.

In the winter months, BRING CRAMPONS. We did not, and the guard saw what we were wearing and didn’t warn us otherwise, and had to run/slide down the steep trail where I almost broke my elbow and knee.

The view was incredible, though. Had the map been easier to discern the starting point (ie “you are here” marker), then we would’ve enjoyed it immensely.

Also, bathrooms along all trails are locked. Not sure about that.

Great day and trail system. The steepness near the very top made snowshoeing a challenge. Great views on the overlook.

It's a quick hike and an incredible view of Moreau Lake. A pretty consistent incline, but not difficult. Great spot for pictures and a picnic at the top.

Get a map from New York State website. At least 17 miles of trails. It was fun to do

Very well marked trail, rocky and steep at times, but very pretty. We did it with our 2 kids (2 and 4). It's doable, but demanding.

Nice local hike

Great hike! Quite steep, beautiful view at top. Trail was very dry, even after a lot of rain yesterday.

We took the shorter route from the parking lot near the beach. It's only about 2 miles round trip from this point as you'll pick up the trail halfway through.

But just because it's short doesn't mean it's easy. It's a pretty steady incline the entire time until you reach a pretty nice little lookout.

Great short hike to take if you want a quick sweat before dipping in the lake!

Moderate trail with a steep section as you get to the top. Well worth it if you time it right with great views.

We took the connecting path from within Moreau State Park. It can be steep and rocky in some areas so it's appropriately labelled Moderate but not too difficult for kids and dogs. The view from the top is worth it!

Beautiful and fun hike and rewarded at the lookout with a gorgeous rainbow!

Wonderful hike with a great view at the top. Did it with my kids and dog.

Not sure if I followed the right trail since I ended up walking on the road for some of it and didn't end up at an overlook but it was still a nice hike and will have to try again next time. I like the trails though they are relatively easy to follow and the lake is beautiful to hike near.

Really enjoyed this one! Our first hike of the year, and like other folks said it was fairly steep but a short hike. Views were great but fairly limited (it's an overlook, no 360° views). Entrance fee to the park was $8, which seemed like a bit much considering we were only there a couple hours. Next time we'll plan a day or camping trip.

Great moderate, there is a good map at the entrance for two bucks -- that plus a phone gps makes it easy to navigate! !

just did this trail today after work. It was a bit of a workout but the view at the top was totally worth it. starts out pretty easy until you hit the last 1/3 of the trail where there is steep rocky terrain.

this trail is located on a state forest where "campsites" (more like cabins) are located nearby, so be prepared to pay an entry fee if you go during the summer months. I thought this trail was heavily trafficked with campers, so if you're looking for a quiet hike I'd go elsewhere. Other than that, it was enjoyable!

Friday, February 24, 2017

Pretty easy trail but currently way too icy to summit. You'll be disappointed ☹️. Definitely going to try this again in the Spring!