Moreau Lake Overlooks Trail

Moreau Lake Overlooks Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gansevoort, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a short hike up to some great overlooks over both Moreau Lake to the east and the Hudson River to the west This is an easy hike appropriate for young children or older parents to get them out into the woods for some nice views. The overlook is on Palmertown Mountain.

Overall nice hike. The last stretch to the overlook (on the light blue trail) is the most challenging. Be prepared for a steeper rocky ascent. Our dog (30 lbs, athletic) had no problems. I don’t know that I would take elderly parents as the review suggest, unless they are in scrambling shape! Nice view. Plenty of room to sit down and take a breather. The rest of the hike is pretty easy. Look for the red trail marker for the Red Oak Ridge to start. $8 parking fee. Stop and cool your feet in the lake on your way out!

again. this trail is NOT dog friendly. It begins within the park proper. No state park will allow dogs off leash.

Good hike with pretty steep slopes. Just 1.8 miles one way which makes it not so strenuous.
Beautiful trail through the woods.

This hike is much steeper and rockier than described, toward the top especially. Not recommended for small kids, small dogs or people who aren't in decent shape. Overall it was a good hike, nice overlook.

this trail is NOT dog friendly. it begins in a state park. I don't know who writes your reviews, but accurate information doesn't seem to be a priority with you.

Definitely a pretty hike although it was pretty steep as you get halfway to the top. Not too buggy which was wonderful and the view was gorgeous even though it’s kind of blocked by trees but still nice and relaxing to admire.

Great Hike! Great View - small window, but very pretty that overlooks Moreau Lake.

Trails are marked, but some need to be re-marked as trees have fallen down.

I would rate the trails moderate to hard, depending on the trail your hiking.

Stick to the Blue trail and it will bring you to the overlook.

This trail is not suitable for kids or pets at all.

Nice hike. Had to pay $8 for parking though. Even though I liked the hike I wouldn’t pay $8 to do it again

“Moderate” - we experience a bit more like “Moder - ondack”. From the parking lot is was fairly moderate, then the steepness and the terrain changed. There was winding rocky ledges, some of our group was on all fours climbing up the nearly vertical 1/2 way point. As challenging, but much easier on the way back. The view was worth the climb.

Climbing rock ladders can be extremely dangerous if foliage is even slightly wet. Definitely not recommended for small children (

We ended up hiking this one from the parking area by the playground. We went to the overlook and did some off trail exploring with two mini whacks. The day was humid and the views were covered by the haze. Overall it was a decent outing.

We snowshoed up there today, a little slushy and a lot of exposed rocks as you get up there. We saw the snowman someone made. And when we got back down to the bottom we look across the lake and you could clearly see the snowman on the ledge! Very cool!

Lots of snow at the overlook on 3/11/18, trail was in good shape, no major winter blowdown,

Great short hike for all levels - very good views at the top... Just do it!

While visiting family who camped at the state park I had to check out the trails. The trail itself has quite a bit of rocks for the short hike it is. Once I got to the overlook I thought it would be more of a “jaw dropping” view. You can sit on the rock and see the lake through the trees. I’ve walked the trails around the water and would recommend overlook. I hiked this with my brother before work and thought it was moderate and did not take us long at all. I think waiting for him to let go from swinging on the vines like a monkey was what took up more time!!

I rate this 2 stars because of the view from the top. Getting there was ridiculous. We paid $2 for the trail map and couldn’t figure it out to save our lives. What should have been a two-mile walk turned into a nine-mile steep hike we were unprepared for. Because we were wearing regular hiking shoes, we tried another route down the mountain and ended up in another park altogether. The park guard refused to take our names and it turned into a race against sundown.

In the winter months, BRING CRAMPONS. We did not, and the guard saw what we were wearing and didn’t warn us otherwise, and had to run/slide down the steep trail where I almost broke my elbow and knee.

The view was incredible, though. Had the map been easier to discern the starting point (ie “you are here” marker), then we would’ve enjoyed it immensely.

Also, bathrooms along all trails are locked. Not sure about that.

Great day and trail system. The steepness near the very top made snowshoeing a challenge. Great views on the overlook.

It's a quick hike and an incredible view of Moreau Lake. A pretty consistent incline, but not difficult. Great spot for pictures and a picnic at the top.

Get a map from New York State website. At least 17 miles of trails. It was fun to do

Very well marked trail, rocky and steep at times, but very pretty. We did it with our 2 kids (2 and 4). It's doable, but demanding.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Nice local hike

Monday, September 04, 2017

Great hike! Quite steep, beautiful view at top. Trail was very dry, even after a lot of rain yesterday.

Friday, July 28, 2017

We took the shorter route from the parking lot near the beach. It's only about 2 miles round trip from this point as you'll pick up the trail halfway through.

But just because it's short doesn't mean it's easy. It's a pretty steady incline the entire time until you reach a pretty nice little lookout.

Great short hike to take if you want a quick sweat before dipping in the lake!

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Moderate trail with a steep section as you get to the top. Well worth it if you time it right with great views.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

We took the connecting path from within Moreau State Park. It can be steep and rocky in some areas so it's appropriately labelled Moderate but not too difficult for kids and dogs. The view from the top is worth it!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Beautiful and fun hike and rewarded at the lookout with a gorgeous rainbow!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Wonderful hike with a great view at the top. Did it with my kids and dog.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Not sure if I followed the right trail since I ended up walking on the road for some of it and didn't end up at an overlook but it was still a nice hike and will have to try again next time. I like the trails though they are relatively easy to follow and the lake is beautiful to hike near.