Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Michael Ciaiola Conservation Area Trail

Michael Ciaiola Conservation Area Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Patterson, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It is a beautiful hike, but the trails aren’t marked very well. We went up to the view point on the yellow trail and it’s gorgeous up there.

Great easy hike. We did with our small dog and two small children (5 and 3). Saw lizards, frogs and lots of birds.

Have driven by these trails hundreds of times but hiked them for the first time yesterday. Pleasantly surprised! The blue trail is challenging! I hiked after a couple of days of rain and would recommend trekking poles. It’s steep and super slick when wet. Will definitely be back!

This hike is beautiful with waterfalls and running stream. Trail markers can be a bit confusing but otherwise a great location.

The trails are confusing - maps don’t match reality or each other. Trails break off in a zillion directions. Wet. Bikes, dogs, hunters, bugs, weird shacks, little kids, creepy old men, runners, actual hikers, garbage and liquor bottles. I’m not alone: https://www.google.com/amp/s/takingahike.blog/2017/09/05/michael-ciaiola-conservation-area/amp/ Vigorousness is dependent upon what trail you take, but good luck figuring that out.

Just hiked the trail we did 3 miles it was beautiful well marked we’d went up blue back red. Definitely coming back to do it in spring when the ground is a little softer.

A wonderful area with so many great trails. Some water crossings were required. Limited cell service in parts, so be sure to photograph map at trailhead. I am looking forward to returning often.

I enjoyed the trails but thought they were poorly marked and the trail map is very confusing. I do plan on going again to check out the other trails I missed.

Aleays a nice hike with the kids to the waterfall!

Good hike, with interesting wild life everywhere

We took the red path then the blue bc I stepped on some sort of bees nest in the ground and was stung numerous times on my legs so had to shorten the trip with the blue trail, although nice Forrest views, and we came up on a Fox or coyote den under a large rock formation about 1/3 way on red trail, little startling seeing the eyes starring out at you but we had a good laugh about it. If not for the bees we would have continued the red path to the end. Definitely not for kids and some steep climbs all around.

The forest is awesome. Beautiful towering trees throughout. Great waterfall that really provides beauty after a long rainy day. Overall a really cool place to be!!

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Very nice hike. If you just want to hike for exercise and don't care about views, take the blue path. We took the blue to red/orange/yellow back to orange and ending on the red. A little over 5.5 miles RT. The orange trail was long as well as the blue but a nice pay off seeing the 9/11 monument and a small but nice view of the mountains. There were nice little waterfalls along the way. The yellow trail also offered a view point At one point we felt as though we were walking into a magical area the way the sun reflected off the twisted trees and stream. The red trail offered a lot of little cascading waterfalls and a little stone and wooden house. overall a nice hike. I would rate it as moderate only because of the somewhat steep uphill hike on the blue trail.

Monday, March 19, 2018

easy

Monday, February 19, 2018

Great hike to a beautiful waterfall. I took the red trail up. Blue trail looked pretty taxing and I was worried about footing in the snow. Continued to the end of the red trail but did not explore orange trail area with the 9/11 memorial. Next time.

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Nice trails, cool waterfalls and little ponds. Trails aren't too narrow (most places) which makes it easier to avoid ticks. Trails are well marked. My dog and I enjoyed our hike and will definitely be back.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Took the blue path up and red back down based on other reviews. All accurate that blue is more difficult. I wish I had more time to explore. I thought the trails were well marked. There were no trail maps, but I went online and downloaded a PDF from the Putnam county website.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Trails themselves were fine. Nice waterfall and some scenic viewpoints. Downsides were no trail maps, a sign of the trails that appeared to be drawn by a 10 year old, very confusing to follow. Wouldn't say this was hard, more easy to moderate

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Narrow trails with lots of little adventures along the way. Had a ton of fun exploring.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Amazing and so beautiful and relaxing. The water fall is just perfect.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

This trail up to the mountain is amazing! !!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Good hills for running

Sunday, March 26, 2017

As easy or hard as you would like to make it. Follow the Red Markers for a slightly easier hike to the waterfalls and the Blue for a nice challenging one. We started on the Blue and finished on the Red. I cut it short due to rain coming but it was a nice hike and nice scenery along the way. Definitely one to do!

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Offers some strenuous ascents. Plenty of options, allowing you to make it as easy or difficult as you like.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Great spot and make sure to visit the neighboring Great Hollow Nature Preserve

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Excellent hiking, great trail running and good mountain biking segments. Well marked with blazes and typically low traffic. Offers some challenging elevation gains sections on the blue blaze trail.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

This hike is super!

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Very nice walk through the woods! The trails are marked well and we did the blue/red/orange/yellow/red trail for 5.4 miles. We saw only 3 people in the parking lot that we never saw again. There was a man with 3 children coming in while we were leaving. We were going to do a trail along the Hudson, but after reading how crowded they get... this was PERFECT! It was also perfect in that it is 9/10 and to remember those fallen on 9/11, 15 years ago, was fitting.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

The view was amazing! My boyfriend and I did this trail. We took the path that was extremely steep at first a bit hard but very nice. The view was worth the hike. Breathtaking. The water wasn't flowing much when we went as well. A little sad but hopefully next time it will be flowing more

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Kids were happy to put feet in water on red trail. Hiked blue trail back to parking, pretty steep