Learn more

Meade & Beckman Mountain

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(88)
Chestertown, NY

Meade & Beckman Mountain is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pottersville, New York that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 597 feet Route Type: Loop

Wonderful hike with beautiful views. Well marked. Just a little buggy when we went. It is steep, but short. Our 6 and 9 year olds had no issues. Met the owner on the way up. He was super nice, and we really appreciate the fact that he is letting the public hike on his property. Also saw a deer and a fox on the way down.

Steep & Buggy but beautiful. Did with my 7 year old dog - took lots of pictures and we were done in less than an hour. Off leash dog seems to belong to bordering property owners and didn’t approach us. Only one other person on the trail on a Tuesday afternoon.

Great view on top... Quick and steep in middle... fun!

Amazing Trail! Kinda steep but the views were something to die for. This completed our Chester challenge! It started raining towards the end and a bunch of newts came out and on our descent we counted 107 newts!!!

Straight up but very short. Easy to get to. Nice views.

private property

I would recommend this hike, it is a little steep in the beginning of the trail but there are three view points that are excellent. The trail is on private land and the day that we hiked it we met the owner of the land he was very nice and was appreciative that people were using his land for hiking.

private property

This trail took my friend and I about 25 minutes, but the whole mountain is STEEP. There are a few spots to hangout at the top which benches. We met the owner of the mountain, he said he walks the trail everyday and was such a sweet person. I recommend doing this mountain as part of the Chester Challenge.

Meade/Beckman Mountains are not great. There is barely any view. If you’re crammed for time and have to choose which mountains to hike on the Chester Challenge, skip this one and hike Kipp and Stewart Mountains instead.

icy

Definitely a moderate hike. What it lacks in distance, it makes up for in steepness. It’s a straight up the mountain with no switchbacks. There was quite a bit of snow/ice on parts of the trail, however did not require spikes. Where there wasn’t snow on the lower part, there was mud - waterproof boots will make your hike more enjoyable. At the top of each summit there is a bench to use to take in the views. It’s a short descent and then ascent to Beckman Mountain. Once you continue the loop from Beckman you’ll come to a picnic table to have lunch. The hike down was tricky only because of the snow and ice. Use caution as the muddy areas are very slick also.

Very cute trail. Great views of Gore mountain and Moxham. Quick hike. Nice area to sit at a picnic table and have lunch and a brewsky or sit at one of the benches on the summits. They had a memorial bell for veterans which I though was a nice touch. Pretty vertical to the top but’s it’s a quick hour hike. I lingered for photos at the top. Great for a quarantine de stress. Muddy. Spikes not really needed unless you want them packed full of last years leaves . Have fun. And ring the bell

icy

Did this as part of the chester challenge. It was a strange hike, it just went straight up the side of the mountain, no turns or weaves. Felt like an ATV trail or something. Also A LOT of markers so it gets confusing but keep going up and you'll reach the summit. Good amount of ice, you'll need spikes for half the way

icy

Wonderful hike on 3/20/20. Highly recommended spikes. 3 year old made it up and down with no issues. Benches at both summits was great and a picnic table at Beckman was nice. Great place to have lunch with a great view.

Benches, signs, nice views, even a picnic table. Did as part of the Chester Challenge. Very nice.

icy

Pretty dang icy going up, did it without any gear but would recommend at least trax! Views are semi obstructed but still beautiful

Great day hike for the family easy to moderate great view of town !

Short and steep. Great views from multiple look outs. Very well marked.

I’ve done this trail a few times — mostly in the winter, today was my first time not on snowshoes. The ascent is sorta intense for those of us not so cardio inclined. And the views are not as good as some other hikes in the area due to trees, and that’s why I’m giving 4/5 instead of 5/5. But still a fun hike. Took me a little less than a hour.

Steady uphill to three great lookouts! Met landowner- gratify- cross between Dennis Weaver and Clint Eastwood! Recommended short hike!

The steep incline in this trail reminded me of how out of shape I was! However, for my first ever ADK hike, this trail has inspired me to hike more! Great trail but probably wouldn’t recommend it above the others we completed this weekend.

Very nice hike which is fairly short. It is kid friendly, but does have a couple very steep inclines which was a workout. Trail is easy to navigate and clear. Nice views from both summits. Last trail to finish the chester challenge for us.

Had a couple of hours to myself and this trail was nearby. Appears to be well used and maintained. A couple of steep, long climbs, leading to a few overlooks that are well worth the effort.

Good trail with steep section which works the heart on the way up and the knees on the way down.

Great hike! Steep but short. The views are spectacular! Highly recommend it:)