MacIntyre Range: Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois Peaks Loop

MacIntyre Range: Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois Peaks Loop is a 12.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Climb the MacIntyre Range in one day from Heart Lake over three 46er peaks including the 2nd highest in the state. Although a bit strenuous this loop climb up the MacIntyre Range is one of the most beautiful climbs in all the High Peaks (might be a tie with Rocky Peak & Giant). Travel past Marcy Dam to Avalanche Lake and ascend the range in that direction as the trail from Lake Colden up to the ridge is very steep and best climbed rather than descended. You will be amazed at the trail built around Avalanche Lake and really enjoy the waterfalls tumbling down the base of the climb up to the range which has spectacular views. Once up on the ridge you will be above the tree line with unobstructed views all around. On the way down you'll make a side trip to the summit of Wright and also have an option to check out a rocky nubble just below Wright for some last unique views.

The only views we got at the top of all of the peaks were gray fog, we got rained on a bit and almost knocked over by the wind but the feeling of accomplishment was well worth it. We went at the perfect time of the year in which the fall foliage was breathtaking and I had to stop multiple times to just appreciate it. It looked as the forest was on fire.

This was a nice loop hike that we did minus Wright peak. The Algonquin trail was steep going up but enjoyable. This was my second round for these peaks. There was a little snow still hanging around on the trail.

Did this in the pouring rain. Climbing Alogonquin first was one of the hardest hikes I've ever done, holding on roots to not slip down the rock face. The rest of the hike was not bad at all. Going by Avalanche Lake was absolutely BEAUTIFUL and so fun with the ladders. Enjoyed the day and took me a total of 10 hours. Dog was able to do it!

Great views, a little scrambling, and very muddy on parts of old Marcy trail. You can loop using Avalanche Pass, but it's a 2k descent and not for bad knees.

I found the trail to be in excellent shape not much mud the view great, had lunch went over on Iroquois almost missed the trail right behind the sign walking through the bog was really cool Meet a young Englishman on the way to Summit we climb together met a German on top it was International Day on Iroquois. they left and went on their journey I had the top to my self for 25 minutes

I'll start by saying the full 13 mile loop is a challenging hike!

We followed the trail down through avalanche pass first which had a very nice view of marcy dam and avalanche lake. There are some nice views in that half mile stretch as you wrap around the lake on small wooden bridges.

Next is the difficult part about 1.5 - 2 miles with a lot of elevation gain. Once you get through this difficult stretch (took us a little over 1.5 hours) you will come to the junction of Iroquois and Algonquin. This is a good place to take a nice rest. Iroquois is a strong half mile down then back up with great views of the south west.

Next we made or way back to the junction and up to Algonquin which seemed a bit easier despite it being 300 ft higher than Iroquois. You will have a 360 panorama here as it towers over all of its neighboring peaks.

Next we moved back down (large rock scramble for a stretch) to the Wright path off to the right. It's about 1/2 mile back up to Wright and there's some wreckage from an old plane crash off to the left. I personally liked this summit the best of the 3.

The final stretch is another relatively difficult 2 miles or so back down the north side of the mountain. Large rocks will be prevalent. (This is another good reason to go up the south side of Algonquin as the app trail suggests).

The last mile is a straightaway to the lodge the same way you came in. You will be happy to be back! It took us a total of about 9 hours with rest.

great hike is a nice full day with views of the beautiful area

Took me 8 hours to complete the whole loop. The south side approach up to Algonquin is very, very difficult. Almost a straight up rock climb. Be very aware if you are bringing your dog along, you WILL have to pick them up several times and lift them over your head to get to the next rock ledge. All in all, an awesome day and hike!

Did this loop on 5/28/17 with a friend, only in reverse (started with Wright/Algonquin/Iroquois then down to Avalanche Pass). We started from the Loj via our campsite on South Meadows Rd so that added 4.8 miles to the trip for a total of a 17.5 mile hike, taking us just a bit over 13 hours (using the old truck road from Marcy Dam to get back to South Meadows). We thought it was pretty tough and my feet were screaming but awesome views from the peaks and it was a great workout, very sore the next day as I write this. The Algonquin Trail between Boundary and Lake Colden junction was especially difficult and we got off trail a few times as it's not well marked with some spots not having a real path.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Avalanche Pass approach was spectacular. Very strenuous 9 hour loop with little looking around. Great views up top, but the micro-climates in the pass combined with the solitude and trail improvements made the bottom the best part.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

A difficult hike worth the view. Highly recommend crampons in the winter season because half the trail is ice

Thursday, October 06, 2016

This was a very challenging hike from Lake Colden up to Boundary peak. Any chance I get to go through Avalanche Lake is awe inspiring. Did it on a Saturday I more or less had trail to myself until summited at Boundary Peak. That is when I encountered a crush of humanity doing to Out/back from Loj. Try to do this off weekend would get much more solitude. Very steep get down Algonquin until well past Wright... a lot of bum slides. A great workout/

Monday, September 05, 2016

I wondered why I found this hike so tiring compared to a lot of West Coast hiking. An ADK 46er I bumped into along the way explained: over here, there is less topsoil (note all the slides!) so building switchbacks is not feasible, hence the large amount of hiking straight up the incline! He proceeded to call West Coast hiking "strolls in the park" and ADK hiking "real hiking". A great introduction to my first 3 of 46 high peaks.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Took the three kids up the Algonquin trail and just did Wright peak with them overall it was a easy hike just the final leg of the Wright trail towards the summit was the most difficult . The waterfall was a great resting point for the kids too.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Great and easy range to do. You get to cap the second highest range in NY state, although the last peak could be a bit of a stretch if you start too late in the day.,