Lower Great Range is a 17 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Length17.0 miElevation gain5,475 ftRoute typeLoop
HikingNature tripsBird watchingForestViewsWildflowersWildlifeNo dogs
Description
Waypoints (14)
Tips

In this epic loop hike you will climb Sawteeth, Pyramid, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper and Lower Wolfjaw grabbing five 46ers This is one epic loop climb that will gain you five more 4,000 foot 46er peaks as well as Pyramid Peak on the way to Gothics. You'll start off down the Lake Road to the beautiful Ausable Lake, take a detour to Rainbow Falls and then ascend a less traveled scenic trail up to the top of Sawteeth with great views over Lower Ausable Lake to Colvin and Nippletop. From there you will climb up Pyramid to Gothics with many views of slides everywhere on the mountains around you. From there you will travel north along the Lower Great Range over Armstrong, down steep ladders and ledges to the Wolfjaws to return via the East trail along the Ausable river on the opposite side of the Lake Road for a change of view. This trip is 17 miles of pretty tiring terrain with a lot of ups and downs between peaks. You can accomplish this in a summer day but be sure to get an early start.

St. Huberts Trailhead: The parking area is just off of Rte 73 just 7.5 miles west from exit 30 off of I-87. You'll then need to walk up the golf course road to the beautiful wooden gate marking the entrance to the Lake Road which you will follow for several miles until veering off on the Gill brook trail. There are no fees to park here.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (58)
Photos (3,013)
Recordings (39)
Completed (330)
Justin Elwell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 4, 2021
SnowshoeingGreat!

The trails for the most part were in great shape for a winter hike, 02/26/21. The trail up Sawteeth was wind blown, so I had some breaking to do on the way up. Pyramid was steep, and took longer than any other ascent for the day. Gothics is always an epic mountain. This was a picture perfect blue bird winter day. Light wind, temps in the mid 20’s, and amazing views. Going down the Beaver Meadow trail made for some great butt sliding. In either summer or winter this is a long day, so be ready for the seasonal conditions, and bring plenty of water. Enjoy!

Shannon Penoyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 21, 2020
View Shannon 's Recording
AllTrails User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 21, 2020
Dave Pawlick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 4, 2020
Hiking

Had planned on lower great range. Started out in micros and left the snowshoes in he car. Snow was 6 inches deep for most of Lake Road and I was breaking the trail. It wasn’t going to wok out as planned so I turned around at the lake.

View Dave's Recording
Ben Bewick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 31, 2020
HikingGreat!Icy

The trail is very icy above 3500' but overall it's not unbearable. Nothing too crazy in terms of dangerous moves on slabs or anything.

Brandi Gates
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2020
View Brandi's Recording
Katie Myers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020
View Katie's Recording
Jesse Schmitt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
View Jesse's Recording
Margaret McGohey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2020
HikingGreat!Private propertyRockyScramble

Beautiful! We added in Indian Head and Rainbow Falls into this trip (very easy to do). Glad we did because we had both places to ourselves...with that being said...we arrived to the parking lot a little before 4AM and we got the last spot. There was mud on the trails, but I wouldn’t necessarily consider the trail muddy and it was easily navigatable. Lots of scrambles and slides, super fun. It was a gorgeous day so the summit spots started to get a little crowded as the day / hike went on. Took us 12 hours total. All in all - super great hike. Be prepared, know your limits, have your map, have fun!

View Margaret's Recording
Aisha O'Donnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2020

Get to the hike early cause parking really fills up fast and it is long hike. We started with Sawteeth but might suggest going Lower Wolf Jaw first cause the first 4 miles to Sawteeth is very flat and easy and might be nice to finish the hike with. We are strong hikers and this loop gave us a challenge. Some climbs require near rock climbing skills and the trails is slippery and muddy even on a dry day. But 5 high peaks and great views from Gothics, Armstrong and Upper Wolf make this great. We had lots of food and also 5 liters of water on a cool weather day and totally needed both. Epic hike and have dinner ready at home so you don't need to cook when you get back.

Michelle DiGaetano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

7/31/2020: parking lot full by 6:45am. Sign in at 7:15am off the mountain at 10pm. My friend and I went up Sawteeth scenic route. Totally lives up to the name! Gorgeous trail with spectacular views. From Sawteeth to Pyramid was steep with a big rock scramble but doable with some patience. Going up Pyramid steep slides up, also doable with patience. The most spectacular views are on Pyramid. The hike to Gothics was about 30 minutes for us. Gothics to Armstrong also pleasant and felt quick. Coming down Armstrong to Upper Wolfjaw was treacherous with a steep ladder with broken rungs. If coming down the ladder and you’re short, it’s downright scary. Longer legs shouldn’t have a problem. That broken ladder was the only part of our long day that scared me. Armstrong also has several ledges to descend, again have some patience and you’ll be fine. Onward to UWJ we started to run dangerously low on water and we decided to skip Lower Wolfjaw for another time. There is no water up there. UWJ summit a little bit off the trail. Going back to the parking lot, passing the trail to LWJ with sadness, we ran out of water. The Wedge trail was pleasant and we picked up our pace and made it to West River trail pretty quick. We filtered water closer to the road and in the dark. This is not a graceful ridge line hike. It’s a lot of rock scrambling between the mountains. Noteworthy sketchy parts being the tall rock descent off Sawteeth heading towards Pyramid and the broken ladder on Armstrong. Other than that, perfect weather couldn’t ask for a better day out. Trail was nice and dry with very little to no mud between Armstrong and UWJ. 4 peaks today for 29/46.

Robert Berry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
Hiking

This was an exhausting day because of the heat. Just over 18 miles and 14 hours from having to take a longer stop at the top of every mountain to fight the heat exhaustion. The small detour to Rainbow Falls was not worth the time or energy. Lots of steep parts, and a few tough scrambles, but was surely an epic summer day. Make sure to fill up your water before leaving the Ausable path. Had to conserve a bit too heavily on the LWJ climb until we got back to Wedge Brook.

Bob Young
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020
HikingBridge outBugs

There was still plenty of parking at St. Huberts at 6:15 AM on Friday 6/19 when I arrived. It was going to be a hot day. The bridge at Rainbow Falls is still out, so you cross over to the west side of the river earlier, which is a pretty walk anyhow. I went up the Weld. Some notes: Rainbow Falls is beautiful. Sawteeth has its most scenic views just prior to the summit, take photos there. The climb to Pyramid has some steep slides, it was an upper body workout. From Pyramid-Gothics-Armstrong is easy. Armstrong to Upper Wolfjaw is often steep, but I was glad to only have to descend the worst of it, and to have very dry conditions. The Wolfjaws make you work, but there isn't much to see. The flies are out especially near the summits, that might limit your time spent there, it did for me. Stay hydrated in advance. It has been hot recently. I drank about 5L, and came out thirsty, a little dehydrated, and decided that I am buying a water filter. I took a wrong turn on the decent from Lower Wolfjaw, at a campground I believe, so don't be as careless as me. At least they were flat, easy 1-2 miles extra. Nice walk actually, back to Beaver Meadow Falls, quite nice. All said, it took me 9 hours total, my first solo hike, I really enjoyed it, and learned a lot. Pyramid and Gothics have the best views, I'd go back to see it again.

Robert Musial
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2020
HikingBridge outMuddyScramble

Completed on June 16. Left my car at the AMR at 500am and was back at 210pm. I opted to go up the AW Weld and go left to Sawteeth and then double back to go to Pyramid. Trails were in good shape, a little muddy in some spots at the higher elevations, but nothing crazy. Bugs also not bad at all. Views from Pyramid and Gothics are absolutely incredible and I had them all to myself. Coming down from Armstrong can be tricky dealing with all the rock faces. I almost skipped Lower Wolf Jaw, but really glad I decided to go for it while being so close to it. This trail definitely has everything and will challenge you, but it is very rewarding. Coming down Wedge Brook was also nice, I basically just went on auto-pilot once I got to the campground. All trails recording said the hike was about 15 miles and my FitBit tracker put it closer to 20 miles, so probably somewhere in the middle.

Dallas DeVries
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2020
Hiking

We did this loop clockwise. The detour up Beaver Meadow was nicer than walking the road anyways. Everyone in our party ran out of water just before Lower Wolfjaw... luckily its all downhill at this point. I had 3 liters of water plus a gatorade and it was only 70 degrees out. Bring lots of water (and salty things so you don't cramp). I can't imagine doing this on a warmer day as it is no joke on the climbs. It took us 11 hours (8:40-7:40) car to car and our only stops were the viewpoints and peaks and none of those were very long and I am an avid hiker/runner. The first 5 miles and the last 4 miles are pretty easy but the 6 miles in between are very difficult (obviously). Gothics and Pyramid had the best views by far of the 6 peaks. We didn't see too much for bugs. They bothered us as we at lunch at the top of Sawteeth and they were out a bit at Lower Wolfjaw but nothing that was terrible, just mildly annoying. Distance: Our group ranged from 15-17 on our different watches. I would say its close to 15.5 with the detour. GPS does get wonky around cliff faces which adds to distance as it bounces off them. Parking on a weekday (tues): The main lot and the lot across the street just filled up by 8:40 as we got started. The ranger said it was a good idea to be there before 8 these days on a weekday. My last 2 trips I got there from 10-11 on a weekday and had no problem so it's getting busier. He said 5:30 for a weekend....

Ryan Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
Bridge outMuddy

The Ausable bridge is still out. the detour is 1.5 miles before you hit the bridge. no black flies or mosquitoes. great trip

Jon Petrie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 1, 2020
HikingBridge outMuddyRockySnow

Great trails. Bridge is out at lower Ausable Lake. follow detours. Only snow encountered was coming off Gothics on the way to Armstrong. Two short stretches. No spikes needed.

Josh corrow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 29, 2020

go for all 5! long day but worth it