Lost Pond Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ticonderoga, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I am going to guess that the moderate rating is for the trail around the pond. Up to the pond I would rate the trail as easy. It is a well maintained, gentle path through the woods. If you do go around the pond the northern side is quite rocky and uneven and even a bit of a scramble in parts. This is a lovely hike though and on a Sunday afternoon we were only one of three cars in the parking lot.

Awesome little hike, the entire thing is fairly easy-one little rocky section. As another person noted, do not listen to the GPS when it tells you that you have arrived, keep going and you will see the trailhead marker on the left a little way up the road. Nice spots for camping and having a picnic. There were some loons swimming and fishing the day I went. The water was crystal clear and looked very inviting.

We went at the end of July. It was a nice day - not too hot and had rained recently. Trail is nice and well maintained, but we only made it half way to the lake before we turned around. the bugs were absolutely RELENTLESS! Some day I hope to revisit when there's less chance of bugs.

I went with my dog and a few of our friends. Easy to navigate through with the dog. Also, really enjoyable swimming!

Mostly flat, well maintained trail. Lost Pond looks like it's very suitable habitat for trout.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

uh

Saturday, June 17, 2017

excellent lunch hour hike and swim

Sunday, November 06, 2016

I like the cool little spot at the end. Made it all worth while :)

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

It was a nice hike. I liked how there were a few campsites along the way. Nice sandy beach to relax at.

Friday, September 23, 2016

nice quick afternoon hike. had a 3 yr old with us who did twice the mileage of the rest of the group. :-) Easy hike. Not accurately rated as moderate.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Well marked and well worn, easy trail. Enough ups and downs to give you a good workout. The trail around the pond was difficult to maneuver - narrow and overgrown. Good hike!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

beautiful easy hike, great for families

Monday, July 18, 2016

Easy walking and beautiful views ... this was enjoyable. Pond was clear and full of wildlife. Perfect for a quick swim, not many people at all. Nice find.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

A few things about this trail, first don't use the GPS directions on this site to find the trail head. We ended up hiking for a mile on some logging road before we turned around thinking that the directions were wrong and they were. They are good until you get on Lost Pond Rd. Once you get there, keep going and you will see a dead end sign and a little further is a parking area for the trail clearly marked.

The beginning of the hike was pretty easy, you actually get to the pond in 1.6 Miles. If you have children with you I would recommend only doing this portion. You can continue to hike a trail all the way around the pond but one side of it is pretty treacherous, you are basically climbing over rocks and slippery pine needles. Okay for an adult but not so good for kids.

The pond itself is peaceful and crystal clear. We did see some large fish and looks like others have fished and camped here.

If you do the trail all the way around the pond it ends up being a little over 4 miles. It's worth doing at least once!

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Beautiful pond. Good length. Good for kids.

Sunday, June 08, 2014

A great hike. Pretty flat but gives you a workout, leads you to the beautiful lost pond. Clear water and perfect for swimming. Not many people hike this so the lake will be all yours. Lots of wildlife around you and 2 camping areas by the pond. Worth it!

Saturday, September 02, 2017