Loon Lake Mountain Fire Tower

Loon Lake Mountain Fire Tower is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Vermontville, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,686 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The fire tower has had its lower steps removed and is in need of renovation. It is not recommended to try climbing the old tower.

Pleasant hike. Snow shoes definitely recommend at higher elevations. The trail is quite easy at first following a logging road but then gets more difficult. The lower stairs have been removed from the tower but still a good time.

Took us 2 hours to ascend and 1.5 hours to return. No view but we were in the clouds. Beautiful hike!

total 7.3 miles out & back

Nice trail. steep near end so be prepared. Nice views including view of Whiteface to the South. Windmills to northeast. 2 hours to summit and I climb slowly. According to ADK Trail Guide no parking area but there is now. Trail is also very well marked all the way with yellow markers.

HOLY Crumb! This hike goes from easy, moderate, to HARD! -First 1/3 is basically logging trail/road, mostly full sun, BUGGY, but lots of monarch butterflies that seem to follow you on the trail. -Second 1/3 is mostly shady, well maintained well marked -Last 1/3 I was climbing on all 4's at times with LOTS of breaks. Firetower is very cool but not safe to climb. I did this hike on a Thursday and only encountered one other person on the trail with my dog. I am only slightly in shape and definitely found the last part to be very hard. Of course, climbing a mountain always gives a sense of accomplishment that made the trail worth it. This was number four in the fire tower challenge for me and my dog. our first really hard climb but definitely worth checking out :)

2/3 is logging roads. Then steady steep incline last mile plus. Views of the north from summit breathtaking ! You can see Lyon Mountain in the distance . Fire tower falling apart. Cool to see. I’m a slow to average speed hiker. This trail took me three hours stopping at summit for half hour or so. Beautiful butterflies on the roads today . Nice drive around Loon Lake on 26 and kushaqua pond area. Part of the Adirondack Blue Challenge for me!

the last quarter or so of the trail is a challenge but the view is so worth it.

I hiked this trail on 8/20/19, with blue skies and 72 degrees. This tower was NOT in the first edition of Views From On High, but is in the second edition. The trail is dotted with yellow markers and well traveled. Even though the tower is in severe disrepair, the view is still wonderful and accented with scores of majestic dragon flies. Tower #30 completed!

Fairly easy hike. Much of the beginning is on logging roads. The last mile is definitely steep, but not too difficult! Keep a look out for the blueberries along the trail!

Climbed 7/7/19. Took us two hours to get up and one hour to get down. It was a nice trail, and like others have said, it was fairly flat for the first bit and then very steep for the last bit. The bugs were terrible, though. Horseflies followed us everywhere even though we had on bug spray and smaller flies and mosquitos tried quite hard to bite us as well. Otherwise, the hike was alright!

The first 2/3 of the trail are super easy while the last third is REALLY steep! Nice view from the top but little space. Fire tower is not in good shape and can't be climbed :( Took us 1h30 to go up and 1h to go down but we were pushing alot... 2h up is more reasonable. Some mud here and there but nothing crazy. Lot of insects, as expected. Overall, very nice place.

Hiked 5/22/19 with my dog. No snow left but lots of bugs. Spots of mud. 1 hour and 50 minutes up. 1 hour and 20 minutes down. The top of the trail is difficult but the view is really nice. You can see for miles

Loon lake mountain is like hiking any other mountain in the winter, bring enough people to help you break trail. You can't reply on a mountain being broke this time of year . I love this mountain in the winter , I broke Trail on the 16 th and hiked it again today ( 22nd).

Hiked this on 02/02/19. Conditions were not the best. Snowy and very windy. Had to break trail the whole way. Made it to the tree tops but had to stop as the snow reached 41''. Took 4 1/2 hrs up and 2 hrs down. Will do this one again in the fall. Not recommended in winter as it doesn't have a lot of traffic and snow gets deeper as you go up. Trail is well marked.

Attempted the Firetower, made it to about .3 miles from the top. So much snow I was postholing up to my knees with 36” snowshoes. Still a great day and will definitely come back when there is less snow. Or get somebody else to break trail for me

Sat Oct 27 2018

Did this one today, later in the afternoon, so I finished in the dark. I like a hike that lets you warm up your legs before you hit the steep pitches. This hike is ideal for that. Today, even at lower elevations, there is snow and ice, so micro-spikes are essential, especially going up that final pitch to the summit. The views are totally worth it, although the lower set of stairs have been removed, so access to the tower is nil. Again a great hike, but micro-spikes are a must.

Sun Aug 26 2018

up and Back in 2 hours 15/mins pretty easy other than last 1/2 mile cloudy not much to see and tower is closed off missing bottom stairs.Not a bad hike I would do again

Thu Aug 16 2018

Did it with my 4 and half year old daughter. The end of the trail is steep and combine with the half hour rain it will be an hard trip for my girl. We did it in aughust and we collected blueberry and raspberry. She did not like that the tower is close. Honestly, this hike was too hard for her. The last half on our way back she sleep in my arms. An apologyse father.

Tue Jul 10 2018

Nice trail, we did it in 4hrs with two kids age 6 and 9 and a puppy. The steepest part of the trail is the last quarter. It can be slippery too. we went on a beautiful july saturday and we were 10+ on the somewhat small summit under the firetower. it was a bit crowded. Then again it's hiking season ;)

Mon Jul 09 2018

Beautiful hike. In the beginning the trail is a logging road and it’s not marked besides the start of it and where you get put back on the trail. Moderate hike that turns into a harder hike towards the top as the incline gets steep and rocky. You can’t climb the fire tower due to people destroying it. I’d suggest to bring bug spray because the black flies are absolutely horrible.

Wed Jun 20 2018

This is a funny trail. The first half-ish (maybe give/take) is on gravel through a smidge of woods. You encounter dozens of butterflies who accompany you a good bit of the way. After that ends, you’re on a flat strip for about 10 min. Then the sweating, stopping, and wheezing begins. It ends with a beautiful flat carved out trail and then you hit the incredible summit. The trail is well maintained and accurately rated here. The only thing I wish I had known was how long the gravel portion of the hike is. The markers peeter out and you wonder if you’re where you should be. This is definitely hard but well rewarded! Bring bug spray too. The flies are everywhere.

Mon Jun 18 2018

A truly secluded beautiful hike. Abundant wildlife through various habitat ranging from old logging trails to steep, rocky inclines. The top half mile is steep. Many little streams crossing the trail during the last mile which made it nice for hiking with a dog. We had the entire trail to ourselves- we were the only hikers on a sunny Sunday which was a huge blessing. The fire tower is not active- it’s still beautiful to look at and an amazing summit. We saw signs of bear and moose today!

Sun May 20 2018

Did this two years ago. I’m a novice old hiker and this was a nicely challenging hike with a fantastic vista at the top! After a slow rise through an old logging trail the trail kicks in and your on you’re way. Gets steep at the end with some slippery rocks but the trail is well marked and should be no problem for the fit and somewhat adventurous hiker.

Sun May 06 2018

Great hike, went on May 5 and the top 1/3 was still knee deep with snow. Made for a pretty intense summit. All in all it was a beautiful hike and the views from the top were amazing

Sat Oct 07 2017

A great hike. Secluded. Remote feeling. Fairly typical hike, the closer you are to the summit, the steeper the trail gets. 4 hours round trip with half an hour on the summit.

Wed Aug 23 2017

Originally thought we were hoping Debar. this mountain has a long incline up and not suitable for beginners. about 2.5 miles in, we were not seeing an end nor an and to incline. very challenging hike.

Thu Aug 10 2017

A secluded, quiet hike (on a weekday, at least), which I enjoyed. The top half was wet with slippery rocks, but it's been a wet season. It's a shame the tower is off limits, as the western (I believe) view is blocked by trees at the top.

Fri Jul 07 2017

Nice little hike with some worthwhile views. Jogged the first 2 miles on the road and trail and only had to slow down for the steep up at the end. Our gps clocked this at exactly 5.8 miles as stated, not sure why other people say it's longer. 1.5 hour round trip