Learn more

Kaaterskill High Peak Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(32)
Kaaterskill Wild Forest

Kaaterskill High Peak Loop Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elka Park, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,935 feet Route Type: Loop

flooded

flooded

icy

Climbed up Hurricane Ledge, icy.

Great pine groves going up and some fun scrambling and views. Hike out kinda drags where it’s flat but overall really nice hike

Sat Mar 16 2019

First time hiking this trail and was a little more than I expected- definitely challenging. Today is 3/16 and the trail was almost completely ice covered. Luckily, I stopped by the ski shop in Tannersville and rented spikes to strap on my boots. The guys at the shop were really cool and helpful with their local knowledge. I’ll be stopping there for my hiking and snowboarding needs from now on. If you plan on doing this hike in March you will need footwear that will handle the ice, or you won’t get 200 yards up the trail. There’s also some serious incline ice climbing that was pretty difficult. Off the main trail to start there’s supposed to be a first left that brings you to the High Trail, but it was not visible or used in the snow. As a result I had to keep going straight and then take a left back up to the high trail before the serious incline. On the way back near the end of the loop you have to go past that same spot and go all the way to the same junction and then backtrack to the right. It adds about 2.5 miles to the 7.3 said in the AT App. In all my tracker showed 9.6 miles and it took me just under 5 hours. I was solo which helped my speed vs having others with me. I’d plan 5-7 hours based on skill level.

Fri Aug 10 2018

Challenging because everything was flooded. Did the rock scramble up to hurricane ledge and there was water flowing down over the steepest parts. Sketchy! Great views, beautiful forests. Because it was so flooded the whole loop took over 6 hours. it was worth it.

Thu Jul 12 2018

Great hike for an experienced hiker. Lots of signs of Bear, Bobcats, and Coyote. That shouldn't be a surprise though. The rock scrambles were great coming up Hurricane Ledge. I wouldn't suggest going down that way. Plus, you miss the 2nd plane crash site if you dont do the loop. Please respect the families of those who passed and do not touch any wreckage.

Tue May 02 2017

Very poorly marked trail. You will need to cut through the bushwack at one point, but the "trail" can easily be identified. I recommend bringing a map for this one... and following the recording on here helps too. There is no view at the top, but following my recording you will find a few lookouts along the peak while hiking down. The walk is muddy, even when it's dry. The way I took down was pretty steep, I added a waypoint where I had to help my dog down because the rock climb was steep and there was no other way around. Keep that in mind if bringing dogs/kids. This peak can be tough.

Sun Mar 05 2017