Letchworth State Park Gorge Trail

Letchworth State Park Gorge Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Portageville, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

scenic driving

whitewater kayaking

Along the west side of Genesee River in Letchworth State Park. Passes by 2 waterfalls. Trail is 7 miles long one way along the rim of the Gorge sometimes referred to as "The Grand Canyon Of The East".

scenic driving
3 minutes ago

Beautiful park! I plan on going back when the upper falls construction is completed. The overlooks are gorgeous!

Part of the trail was closed for construction, there are a lot of people on the trail and it is very close to the road in places. The waterfall views were great but I typically like less popular hikes.

The views were terrific. We walked on the west side of the loop but the trail was closed for construction when you headed toward the south end. As many others have said here, more of a walk than a hike.

Breathtaking views of the gorge and waterfall. The trails weren't well marked and I ended up circling a bit before getting back to my car. I would definitely go back.

Nice walk, was unable to do the full trail. the southern portion (upper falls) was closed due to construction and the northern part crossing the gorge was also closed. was unfortunate and ruined half the hike for us.
This was not hiking on the west side in my eyes. I think the eastern part seemed more adventurous but oh well.
gorgeous views, definitely worth seeing.

Agree with others who have said that this walk is a must during the fall. The colors are bright and crisp with cool mist coming from the falls. Additionally, Columbus Day Weekend there is an annual craft fair that is located within the park. This is not really a hiking trail but rather a well maintained, groomed walking trail along the gorge. Have done about 6 miles every year. It is a little tricky with the southern entrance to the park being closed, but you can still get good views to all the falls with excellent photo ops.

This trail is a must during the Fall. It is absolutely gorgeous during peak season of Fall foliage, but will be swamped with tons of tourists. Everything is accessible and there's no shortage of beautiful photo opportunities - lots of small waterfalls, free flowing water, small animals, and beautiful scenery.

We did part of its trail! It is amazing.

An amazing place to visit and hike. We hiked many parts of the main trail and the views are spectacular of the canyon and the numerous waterfalls in the park.
Drive to the stops and hike the back trails, you will find some real gems on these hikes. The best falls are the mid falls.

This was a solid hike with some very nice views. However the portion of gorge trail from middle to upper falls is closed... so I chose to do somewhat of a "bow-tie" route.

I parked in the lot where you go for rafting. Proceeded to lower falls and went down the staircase to the bridge, and also the lookout point closest to lower falls. I suggest going to the "restricted" area once you're near lower falls because it gets close to the falls and you feel quite a bit of mist from the lower falls.

I then proceeded back up to the gorge trail and headed toward middle falls. Then turned around and came back to where I started (the first loop of the bow-tie) This was 5 miles.

I then hiked to big bend lookout point, before returning to my starting point. This portion of the bow tie was also 5 miles (totaling 10 miles).

I would definitely do this hike again, the views are terrific!!

It would be hard to find another hike like this with such incredible waterfalls. You have to see this place. Check out my write up which includes directions and other things to look out for.