Letchworth State Park Gorge Trail

Letchworth State Park Gorge Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Portageville, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

scenic driving

whitewater kayaking

Along the west side of Genesee River in Letchworth State Park. Passes by 2 waterfalls. Trail is 7 miles long one way along the rim of the Gorge sometimes referred to as "The Grand Canyon Of The East".

11 minutes ago

An amazing place to visit and hike. We hiked many parts of the main trail and the views are spectacular of the canyon and the numerous waterfalls in the park.
Drive to the stops and hike the back trails, you will find some real gems on these hikes. The best falls are the mid falls.

This was a solid hike with some very nice views. However the portion of gorge trail from middle to upper falls is closed... so I chose to do somewhat of a "bow-tie" route.

I parked in the lot where you go for rafting. Proceeded to lower falls and went down the staircase to the bridge, and also the lookout point closest to lower falls. I suggest going to the "restricted" area once you're near lower falls because it gets close to the falls and you feel quite a bit of mist from the lower falls.

I then proceeded back up to the gorge trail and headed toward middle falls. Then turned around and came back to where I started (the first loop of the bow-tie) This was 5 miles.

I then hiked to big bend lookout point, before returning to my starting point. This portion of the bow tie was also 5 miles (totaling 10 miles).

I would definitely do this hike again, the views are terrific!!

It would be hard to find another hike like this with such incredible waterfalls. You have to see this place. Check out my write up which includes directions and other things to look out for.

1. This is not a typical hike, but mostly walk on a paved / stairs path.
2. Amazing views, and many places to sit watch the view and connect to nature.
3. Park train #7 (leads to the higher falls) is closed at least till the end of 2017 - it means you start the at the green point - go south west till the mid-falls, and then go back because the path is closed. Then you continue to go (it is mostly down the hill with many steps) until you get to a bridge crossing the gorge. Past that point most of the hike (until you get to trail#7 and realize it is closed) is in a forest up the hill without to much view of the canyon. My recommendation - until trail#7 is open - once you get to the bridge - go back. I wasted 2 extra hours trying to find a bypass for the closure - unsuccessfully

Agree with everyone who said this is more of a walk than hike. If the weather is nice would be fun with continuous, amazing views. If youre feeling like a bum, or its a rainy day, you can easily drive to all the observation points and not miss anything either. Park is well maintained with plenty of benches, shelters, picnic tables, parking areas and rest rooms, worth the 10 dollars cash to get in! The nature center was great too!

Stunning and a very easy hike. My friends and I loved this one. Waterfalls are enormous and powerful. We went in May but I must go back in the fall to see the changing leaves.

You have to pay cash in order to enter the park. Aside from that it was a beautiful area to hike and the trail was well marked. We saw some deer along the way. The trail is long and we started at the northern side for about 3 miles and headed back. There are a few mini gorges along the trail.