Letchworth State Park Gorge Trail

Letchworth State Park Gorge Trail is a 14 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Silver Springs, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Along the west side of Genesee River in Letchworth State Park. Passes by 2 waterfalls. Trail is 7 miles long one way along the rim of the Gorge sometimes referred to as "The Grand Canyon Of The East".

there is not camping on this trail. All Trails is such a piece of shit sometimes

The trails to the upper falls and middle falls are blocked/closed due to construction. Very pretty view but wasn’t able to do any hiking.

Took Gorge trail. Broke a sweat more than anticipated. Good scenic trail to include the waterfalls. Great trail to do with friends!

It is definitely not just a walk and deserves its rank as moderate. Today both ends were blocked for construction so you can't access the south side of the trail but it ended up being a 5.26 mile hike. The impressive views never disappoint.

See the Upper and Middle Falls by parking close and walking to them like everyone else is going to do...it’s a stretch to call it a hike. For actual hiking away from the crowds, user the lower falls as your trailhead.

I really enjoyed this park. Great Waterfalls and canyons. It does have some light hiking trails but its mostly walking on paved or gravel.

Great falls, got here late Saturday on Memorial Day weekend was able to get to the falls. Amazing sights will be back to do more trails around the park.

Love.

The views into the valley is why this was the most beautiful trail I've been on. It is truly breathtaking.

Awesome place!

As advertised, very easy, but an unbelievably scenic stroll. Some dirt trials so wear boots if raining

I've visited this park twice and it never disappoints. This is a must in the fall!

Great trail, fantastic views

scenic driving

Beautiful park! I plan on going back when the upper falls construction is completed. The overlooks are gorgeous!

Part of the trail was closed for construction, there are a lot of people on the trail and it is very close to the road in places. The waterfall views were great but I typically like less popular hikes.

The views were terrific. We walked on the west side of the loop but the trail was closed for construction when you headed toward the south end. As many others have said here, more of a walk than a hike.

Breathtaking views of the gorge and waterfall. The trails weren't well marked and I ended up circling a bit before getting back to my car. I would definitely go back.

Nice walk, was unable to do the full trail. the southern portion (upper falls) was closed due to construction and the northern part crossing the gorge was also closed. was unfortunate and ruined half the hike for us.
This was not hiking on the west side in my eyes. I think the eastern part seemed more adventurous but oh well.
gorgeous views, definitely worth seeing.

Agree with others who have said that this walk is a must during the fall. The colors are bright and crisp with cool mist coming from the falls. Additionally, Columbus Day Weekend there is an annual craft fair that is located within the park. This is not really a hiking trail but rather a well maintained, groomed walking trail along the gorge. Have done about 6 miles every year. It is a little tricky with the southern entrance to the park being closed, but you can still get good views to all the falls with excellent photo ops.

This trail is a must during the Fall. It is absolutely gorgeous during peak season of Fall foliage, but will be swamped with tons of tourists. Everything is accessible and there's no shortage of beautiful photo opportunities - lots of small waterfalls, free flowing water, small animals, and beautiful scenery.

We did part of its trail! It is amazing.

An amazing place to visit and hike. We hiked many parts of the main trail and the views are spectacular of the canyon and the numerous waterfalls in the park.
Drive to the stops and hike the back trails, you will find some real gems on these hikes. The best falls are the mid falls.

This was a solid hike with some very nice views. However the portion of gorge trail from middle to upper falls is closed... so I chose to do somewhat of a "bow-tie" route.

I parked in the lot where you go for rafting. Proceeded to lower falls and went down the staircase to the bridge, and also the lookout point closest to lower falls. I suggest going to the "restricted" area once you're near lower falls because it gets close to the falls and you feel quite a bit of mist from the lower falls.

I then proceeded back up to the gorge trail and headed toward middle falls. Then turned around and came back to where I started (the first loop of the bow-tie) This was 5 miles.

I then hiked to big bend lookout point, before returning to my starting point. This portion of the bow tie was also 5 miles (totaling 10 miles).

I would definitely do this hike again, the views are terrific!!

It would be hard to find another hike like this with such incredible waterfalls. You have to see this place. Check out my write up which includes directions and other things to look out for.

Monday, July 10, 2017

1. This is not a typical hike, but mostly walk on a paved / stairs path.
2. Amazing views, and many places to sit watch the view and connect to nature.
3. Park train #7 (leads to the higher falls) is closed at least till the end of 2017 - it means you start the at the green point - go south west till the mid-falls, and then go back because the path is closed. Then you continue to go (it is mostly down the hill with many steps) until you get to a bridge crossing the gorge. Past that point most of the hike (until you get to trail#7 and realize it is closed) is in a forest up the hill without to much view of the canyon. My recommendation - until trail#7 is open - once you get to the bridge - go back. I wasted 2 extra hours trying to find a bypass for the closure - unsuccessfully

Friday, June 23, 2017

Agree with everyone who said this is more of a walk than hike. If the weather is nice would be fun with continuous, amazing views. If youre feeling like a bum, or its a rainy day, you can easily drive to all the observation points and not miss anything either. Park is well maintained with plenty of benches, shelters, picnic tables, parking areas and rest rooms, worth the 10 dollars cash to get in! The nature center was great too!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Stunning and a very easy hike. My friends and I loved this one. Waterfalls are enormous and powerful. We went in May but I must go back in the fall to see the changing leaves.

Monday, June 12, 2017

You have to pay cash in order to enter the park. Aside from that it was a beautiful area to hike and the trail was well marked. We saw some deer along the way. The trail is long and we started at the northern side for about 3 miles and headed back. There are a few mini gorges along the trail.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Great and fairly easy trail with minimal elevation gain. Where there is elevation gain, there are stairs. We opted to park one car at the end and drive
To the beginning. In total, it was about 8 miles point to point (we strayed off the trail a bit towards the lower falls area for good views). There are extraordinary views of the gorge. We finished this in about 4 hours with stops along the way.

Friday, June 02, 2017

Great park. Good hiking on all trails. Awesome views. All around one of my favorite parks in upstate