Learn more

Lake Te-ata via Long Path

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(16)
Harriman State Park

Lake Te-ata via Long Path is a 8.9 mile loop trail located near Highland Falls, New York and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,017 feet Route Type: Loop

The trail starts out with a short but steep climb up to Long Mountain and the Torrey memorial. The Long Path starts at the George Washington bridge and goes through Harriman park and the Catskills and ends just outside of the Catskills. When complete it will take you to Whiteface Mt in the Dacks. After soaking in the views you will climb Howell Mt, Brooks Mt and Surebridge Mt, all with limited views.

trail was fine except for poor blazes on the way up northwest toward the camp. other than that, tough hike. but recommend it

I had completed this trail several years ago well visiting family in the area. they didn't know much about the trail or the general area but this one seems like it would be a really great day hike considering length and estimated duration. ended up hiking it in March, It was a cold day and there was still snow as we got closer to the summit. The views of the Hudson were absolutely amazing. Having grown up in Croton on Hudson I was already familiar with the beauty of the river; but this perspective was amazing. I would definitely consider taking this trail again if I'm ever back up for a visit.b

Thu Jun 14 2018

I had this rated at about a 3 star until I got to the point where the trail (green markers I think) and the map on the app diverged when I got near art 6. Before that the trail was a good challenge and well marked. Only downside was gunfire in the background from nearby military training/WP. Everything went downhill after that... I ended up walking along the highway, which felt very uncomfortable, and cut my hike short. I did this trail for the purpose of getting to lake Te Ata, named after an amazing Native American woman. Were it not for that I would have opted another trail based on reviews. My feeling is that there are plenty of other places to go around The area with beautiful views and more peaceful setting...save yourself the aggravation...go for something else.

Sat Apr 07 2018

Park at the first lot near the 6/293 intersections to minimize road walking. Empty YMCA camp was interesting. Long Path is a great trail, few nice up and downs on the north side of Route 6. Torrey Memorial has a nice view of Bear Mountain and Popolopen Torne with Turkey Hill Lake below.

Sun Mar 12 2017

ABRIDGED LOLLIPOP LOOP: Did a portion of this trail, which started at 41.315548, -74.05004. Was looking for a moderate trail, with views, and hiked on a day when snow covered the trail. It was an extremely well-marked trail, not difficult to do, even in the snow, the only problem I encountered was seeing the stone path BEFORE the creek -- we hopped two creeks and then turned around and came back. Would have kept going were it not late in the day and snowy. I think in total it was about 2.6 mile loop. We got a late start to the day, and it was an ideal short hike with a brief uphill and great view. Did the lollipop circuit route as described here, very accurate route description: https://www.nynjtc.org/hike/long-path-long-mountain-summit-harriman-state-park#dialog-hike-description

Sat Oct 29 2016

there's a small high way on 9w that has a sign for the long path, from there its only about a mile to the summit following the long path . you can then continue onto the long path and descend down from the lookout. Turn left right before the Brook which takes you on an unmarked road which take you back to the beginning . I'd suggest turning back around at the lookout and retracing your steps back to the parking lot as the rest of the hike doesn't offer much . The veiw from the top is really nice , definitely a hidden gem amongst many much more popular hikes .

Sun Sep 18 2016

Large portion of the hike was along the highway and it seemed dangerous and uncomfortable. Would not recommend the hike for that part. The long trail section was gorgeous though.

Sun Jul 29 2018