Keuka Lake Outlet Trail

Keuka Lake Outlet Trail is a 13.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dresden, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Well maintained, easy to follow trail with little to no elevation. We parked at the Hopeton Rd. parking lot and waked with our dogs about 2.5 miles down to see the two waterfalls and then turned around. It was a rainy day so we had the trail pretty much to ourselves. Despite the rain he trail held up very well. Would definitely recommend and do again. Also, the Facebook page admin was VERY responsive to messages and answered all my questions before we set out.

I absolutely love this trail

took my dog out here for a walk and was very happy with the trail it's nice and wide and tons of beauty all around you. We didn't make it to the falls but next time we will. The creek is beautiful and the sounds of all the wildlife around you is very peaceful. definitely recommend this trail to all people who are out for a nice adventure :)

The trail is levelled, unnoticed very mild change in height. Most of the trail (when you start from Drezden and walk upstream) is forest trail where river at your left, swampy are at your right. The trail might be great for bikers, but just for hiking it is a long walk with the same terrain and views all the way, so it is boring to some degree. My recommendation - if you hike it, (unless you want to practice 13 miles of levelled hike) once you get to the waterfall (there is one that looks more like rapids, near an abandoned building and one that has lawn area next to it with a memorial park - check photos) I suggest you turn back. There is nothing much to see further on other than the same views. It might be great for biking though! There are many entry points you don't have to start at Drezden if you just want to see the waterfall and relax at the park. Picknic tables and BBQ spots are available next to the waterfall

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Great ride for kids who have just learned to ride a bike to learn how to adjust to different ground textures, mud, gravel, bridges, mild slopes, and bumps. Also good geography lesson in person. ( would be a great homeschoolers trip)

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This is a very scenic trail with modest elevation that's easy to navigate. It can serve as a nice long trek, particularly if running the entire span from Penn Yan to Dresden (or vice versa) and back. Plenty of wilderness, some interesting history and a solidly maintained trail that even offers porta potties along the way for any unplanned stops. A really nice option in this area.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Hiked the entire length and back starting at Dresden, with lunch at the softball fields in Penn Yan then heading back to the car in Dresden. This is a very flat hike and I enjoyed exploring the abandoned mills and photographing the waterfalls along the way. Cons to this hike would be the eyesore farms along the trail near Dresden and also the proxcimity to the Outlet Rd., the sound of traffic was never very far away.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

clean and clear pathway.hiked 11 miles perfect day walk..did have to remove ticks when we got back.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Great walking trail. Well maintained with a great waterfall view

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Easy walk or bike ride with unique scenery

Thursday, August 18, 2016

easy trail to walk along, not all that exciting

Friday, June 03, 2016

I started walking at Dresden and only made it a mile and a half in. For me personally it was a scary place. It's beautiful but I just couldn't bring myself to walk further in. And I also got a mild rash on my legs from when I walked through the bushes to see the water. Maybe if I do decide to do it again I'll wear pants and not go alone.

Thursday, January 07, 2016

Awesome trail for hiking, cross country ski and horseback riding. Very scenic and peacful.

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

I love this trail, very pretty. The first time I went, I just parked at one of the parking areas near the falls and walked some of the trail. The second time, I started at the Penn Yan end of the trail and rode my bike to the falls. I have to go back and complete the trail starting at the Dresden end.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

This is an easy, mostly flat trail with beautiful water alongside for most of the way, and interesting old buildings at various points. You'll probably be left with questions about their history when you're done, and the trail's official web site has historical links to study later. If you want to skip the paved portion in town, go to the Cherry Street parking lot and hike east from there. Even if you don't do the whole trail, it's worth getting as far as Seneca Mills & Falls. It's gorgeous and there's a shelter with tables made from old stone grinding wheels. The visitor center doesn't look like much of anything ever goes on there, so don't get excited about that. NOTE: The web site says the trail is closed due to storm damage. But when I hiked (November 18, 2015), there was no indication that it was closed.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

This is one of my favorite walks in the Finger Lakes. Unfortunately, I've read recently that the trail is closed due to some damaging storms this year. Keep checking for re-opening or, if you live in Upstate NY, volunteer to help out clearing the trail! It is one of my favorites because of variations of what can be seen on the very easy walking trail: starting at Birkett Mills, a mill know for its buckwheat products, in the town of Penn Yan (worth a walkabout of this charming village on Keuka Lake) The 7-mile trail goes between Penn Yan and Dresden on Seneca Lake. I have walked the whole way once, but the best part is from Penn Yan to the cascading falls in the middle. I have posted some photos of a long ago hike when we lived in NYS..

Sunday, July 05, 2015

My wife and I loved the ride

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Great trail. A lot of intreasting things to see along the way.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

This trial is is about 13 miles round trip. Very well maintained and if you go early, you might enjoy this alone. This is a must do if you're in the area.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Awesome trail right near town along a river. Great for jogging and hiking or snow shoeing. Lots of entrances along Outlet road. Near the Milo mills rd entrance there's a rope swing and some rocks and it's nice to swim in summer. Buggy in summer. Pretty flat and wide trail.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

beautiful trail, lot of old mills and small falls to see, and a variety of wildlife

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Beautiful trail. Uphill on the way out--took 50 min. Downhill way back took-33 minutes. Beautiful waterfall & scenery. Great moderate ride.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Great trail for all.

Thursday, June 03, 2010

If you are looking for a good easy hike this is a great trail. It connects Dresden at Seneca Lake to the town of Penn Yan at Keuka Lake. Runs along an old railroad bed with a canal on one side and a stream on the other. Old factories and remnants a time long ago give you a lot to look at and wonder about. The terrain is rather flat, and shared with bikers and families with dogs. Great coverage in and out of the sun. Near the Penn Yan entrance the trail is paved.

We hiked from the Lake Seneca side to Penn Yan which was perfect. When we entered Penn Yan there a few places offering lunch so we could relax and then return. At the Lake Seneca entrance there is an ice cream stand to enjoy.