Learn more

Karner Barrens Yellow Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Guilderland, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 111 feet Route Type: Loop

Located within the Capital District Region, the Albany Pine Bush Preserve contains one of the best remaining examples of an inland pine-barrens ecosystem in the world. The Albany Pine Bush is a unique inland pine barrens environment. This sandy area is home to the endangered Karner blue butterfly. The trails are mostly flat with only a few small hills - making it ideal for easy hiking, mountain biking, cross country skiing and snow shoeing. The trails are marked with round colored disks. Most are loops (red, yellow, blue) and a few are connectors (white). This hike is a big loop following the perimeter trails in a clockwise direction. Please stay on trails. This is a environmentally sensitive area.

1st Trail using the app! Went with my family and our dog. Great experience. Fun trail to walk on. Couple nice spots to stop and admire.

Easy hike, trails are groomed and smooth few hills with steps alittle buggy but not bad!

Ticks

Nice sandy trail through the woods. Not much to look at now, but it is probably very pretty in the summer/fall!

Nice trail. Some mild climbs with decent views. Watch for Mtn. bikers

Cool ecosystem! Lots to learn and observe: vernal ponds, an old landfill, lots of birds... you do walk along the highway for part of it, but still interesting environment. Good evening hike. Some runners and bicyclists also share this roomy trail.

Very easy to follow trail!

Well marked and great for all skill levels.

Suburban trail, but pretty and quiet with the exception of the part near the road. It’s a great place to trail run in early spring when most other trails are muddy. The sandy soil drains well and the trail is dry!

122219 First time visitor to this and first time snowshoeing. We chose the 2.6 mile yellow trail to get acquainted with the place and will definitely be back. Other than hearing the distant sound of NY Thruway you'd hardly know just how close you are to development. Saw two bluejays, too

I love this trail. The pine barrens are so beautiful and unique, and it’s an essential ecosystem. This trail is the only place I’ve seen the Karner blue butterfly. Definitely go in the spring when the wild lupines are blooming, it’s absolutely gorgeous.

wonderful walk in the pine bush. watch out for ticks on your pups.

nice walk w dog, we arrived just after 8am and did 2 loops. very few people.

dog friendly walk on sand and some hills, faint smell of landfill persists in areas. We did 2 loops, very few people, arrived just after 8 am

trail is well kept..there is a cool area that they had a controlled burn in. green trail takes you to Kings Rd or highway the loop is closed on the green trail.

Do NOT go when it is humid and hot out. I have never been bit by so many bugs. Worse than the gnats in the south. Would have been beautiful if it weren't for the bugs.

Nice day for a hike. The bugs were in force make sure you bring your bug spray.

Wasn’t a fan of this trail, but it would be nice for families. Going to try other trails next time.

Wed May 22 2019

Lots of ticks out. Pulled about a dozen off the dog and a few off the human. Otherwise a great trail.

Wed May 08 2019

Saw a ton of birds. It was awesome. Definitely recommend this trail.

Mon Apr 15 2019

Beautiful trail and Discovery Center

Sun Mar 24 2019

good for family. easy

Fri Oct 05 2018

I love walking this trail with my dog but there are so many ticks. I checked her before leaving during the spring/summer and I pulled at least 5 ticks off of her each time. (this is with her collar that usually does the job) Other than that it is a beautiful trail and I've never had any ticks on me.

Sun Jul 08 2018

I took my kids (ages 9, 10, and 12) and it was easy for them. Very sandy, but its cleared well. Not much to see, but the hilly parts are partitioned off into steps that make it easy for younger climbers. There was also a book posted periodically to keep them entertained. I will go again.

Wed Sep 27 2017

Nice walk/jog

Mon Sep 04 2017

It was okay. The noise from the freeway traffic is a bit distracting, I never truly felt that I was wilderness hiking. The only attractive part for me was near the end of the trail as you enter a forest type of environment. An old landfill next door is clearly visible, but at least it had grass covering it. This is definitely my least favorite hike in the capital district area. I'm being generous with my 3 star rating because they're trying to make something with this place. You'll see.

Sun Aug 27 2017

Very nice trail! Great location and wonderful opportunity to see wildlife. Didn't see any deer but did notice tracks. Highly recommend it.