Karner Barrens East Trail

Karner Barrens East Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Albany, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Located within the Capital District Region, the Albany Pine Bush Preserve contains one of the best remaining examples of an inland pine-barrens ecosystem in the world. The Albany Pine Bush is a unique inland pine barrens environment. This sandy area is home to the endangered Karner blue butterfly. The trails are mostly flat with only a few small hills - making it ideal for easy hiking, mountain biking, cross country skiing and snow shoeing. The trails are marked with round colored disks. Most are loops (red, yellow, blue) and a few are connectors (white). This hike is a big loop following the perimeter trails in a clockwise direction. Please stay on trails. This is a environmentally sensitive area.

Nice walk/jog

It was okay. The noise from the freeway traffic is a bit distracting, I never truly felt that I was wilderness hiking. The only attractive part for me was near the end of the trail as you enter a forest type of environment. An old landfill next door is clearly visible, but at least it had grass covering it. This is definitely my least favorite hike in the capital district area. I'm being generous with my 3 star rating because they're trying to make something with this place. You'll see.

Very nice trail! Great location and wonderful opportunity to see wildlife. Didn't see any deer but did notice tracks. Highly recommend it.

I saw a Karner Blue butterfly! And, two squirrels doing IT!

Easy path but not much to see.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Nice trail. Well maintained. Walk under I-87 which is a little strange on a nature walk. Saw lots of critters big and small. Will be back.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Enjoyed the walk. It's well marked, currently trail is very visible as many people and skiers leave a very visible and well padded path. Interesting views and terrain.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

I like this place, but I would not bring pets there. I did not have an issue with ticks on my body, but I do not roll around in the dirt and grass, typically. Also, there are multiple areas which can be kind of confusing, however it makes it so one can take a really long hike if they planned it out accordingly, and this is located in Albany. They also allow bow hunting, which is great, as there is no place else to bow hunt in the immediate area and there are a huge number of deer in the area. There is a nature center at one of the entrances and a pond with a stream at a different entrance. Nice area, though walking under I-87 is kind of odd when you do it.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

nice trails but the ticks are horrible.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

We were all covered in ticks by the time we left leading to a trip to the ER 7 days later. Out of all the places we have hiked this summer, this is the only trail this has happened. I wouldn't recommend taking children or pets.

Monday, June 20, 2016

broken glass everywhere absolutely horrible to take your pets

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Very nice trails but the pine bush is loaded with ticks and tick nests on the path. Once I took my dogs there for a walk and ending up have ticks all over. We had to pull about 50 ticks alone off my dog. Plus my husband and I were stripping off clothing because you could seriously see ticks everywhere on our pants shoes shirt. I am used to ticks but this was by far the worst walk of my life when it came to ticks. Walked all of the pine bush and every since that day never again. So keep in mind spray your feet good with bug spray. Don't say you weren't warned! Other than that grab your camera and enjoy the different trails!!!

Monday, June 06, 2016

it's was good as a beginner. not to many people. had 3-4 routes. I took the purple one about 3.5 miles. worth trying

Monday, May 30, 2016

The APB is interesting for those seeking something different than the usual wooded terrain, and who have kids as well as want to enjoy an easy loop. It is unfortunate that it is so close to the highway, but it can't be helped. I like it, but not one of my faves.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Meh sums it up best. There are some nice parts of the trail and its very easy (flat).

Saturday, March 19, 2016

I don't like to give nature preserves a bad rep but personally I didn't like it. The whole time I walked I could hear the busy roads so it kind of took away the seclusion that I normally enjoy on a walk in nature. Very easy trail so that's good for kids but I wouldn't recommend if you want a challenge or if you want to be away from the business of the roads and such.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Meh. You can see houses and hear cars on the thruway and the trail itself isn't challenging.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

I grew up not far from the Fuller Road entrance, and I have to say it's really just a shadow of its former self. For the folks who didn't know it back in the day, it's ok. The highlights.. Public restrooms, LLBean does instructional kayak, paddle board training classes there.. And the friendly lady playing fetch with her Lab Retriever.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Good for kids.

Thursday, June 04, 2015

Excellent for Xcountry skiing, mountain biking and walking. Outstanding birding. Care is needed against ticks. Recent trail changes requires the new map at the kiosk.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Tick haven. Enter at your own risk, not kid friendly. My Last hike at the Pinebush was October 2014 with 3 friends. We each had 30+ ticks each on our persons. Luck the nature center was open so we could completely disrobe in the restrooms to thoroughly remove the ticks. The hike is mild with gorgeous terrain features and colors in all seasons. Have been 20+ times. Use EXTREME CAUTION, BUGSPRAY, TUCK PANTS IN SOCKS, TUCK IN SHIRT, BRING SPARE CLOTHES AND TICK REMOVAL TOOLS.

Saturday, December 27, 2014

good winter hike not too tasking, but enough distance so it's not just a walk

Thursday, May 08, 2014

Surrounded by highways, dirty, & lots of ticks even before springtime

Monday, February 17, 2014

Snow-shoed the preserve after the recent Nor'eastern. We broke the trail in many places, but it was a perfect, crisp winter night for it. Well labeled trails with easy terrain.

Saturday, May 04, 2013

I decided to mountain bike this trail with my Alaskan Malamute not long ago. The trail isn't all that good for mountain biking because it's very sandy, but you could probably spend an entire day out there on foot.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

I love this place for so many reasons. Easy trails, perfect for VERY young children, nice little leaning center. Close to home. But the ticks are out of control, I can't take the risk with a young child, it's a shame because otherwise this is a nice place

Sunday, August 26, 2012

PINE BUSH COVERS A HUGE AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!! With this being said I can tell you all that I have never left the pine bush w/o having at least one tick on me! It is a beautiful place which has everything from tall pine forest areas to sand dunes and swamp lands depending which pine bush trail you chose to hike...I do warn you of the ticks, and it is true that they jump I didn't believe it until I saw it. If you chose to hike these lovely trails, just be prepared for ticks.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Went there a few years back. The trails were decently maintained, not too busy and interesting enough. This is a good area to do some short hikes especially if you live in the Capital region area of NY. I don't think it's worth traveling from further away though.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Nice area, super easy, a little buggy.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Took my kids there for a hike. They have been to the Pine Bush for school trips before, I had never been there and wanted to conform the info I had about biking in the Pine Bush. Info I received was good, biking is allowed. While there we hiked the long loop at the visitor center. Early morning and we didn't see much wild life, human or otherwise. We only saw one worker near the center. It was a nice peaceful hike with the kids.

I differently have plans of going back again and taking the bike this time. Looking forward to more time spent at this local gem.