Kane Mountain North Trail Loop

Kane Mountain North Trail Loop is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Caroga, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 616 feet Route Type: Loop

Kane Mountain, part of the ADK Fire Tower Challenge, offers great views and a nice hike by at least two approaches - one is the East trail which is 1.7 miles RT and the other is about 2 miles RT - both are moderate hikes.

A little mud here and there. So many chipmunks!

Arrived 9am on a 39 degree sunny Sunday morning. We took the longer yellow trail to the top and hiked along the ridge for a short while before reaching the 60 foot fire tower. The view from the top was outstanding. We took the shorter, rocky but drier, route back to parking. Was great to see so many families introducing young children to hiking. This is a must visit on the 25 Adirondack Fire Tower Challenge.

popular trail

Very pretty view at the top for the effort! Would be a great hike for new hikers! Muddy so wear boots!

A quick hike with a lot of payoff!! We went early to make sure we’d have time to ourselves in the tower and it was a good decision as there were several people on their way up as we were coming out!

looks beautiful this time of year.

i went up the longer 1.2 mile trail, firetowerview was spectacular and well worth the hike, muddy hike up, keep looking out for the yellow signs, once at the top one of the trails said "trail closed" and I went down that one stupidly, lost the trail ended up on the road on the west side of the mountain doing the walk of shame to the parking lot. I heard the alternate 0.6 trail was bought as private property but I don't know if that's the one I took. nice hike.

great trail! Took shorter, steeper path up and longer trail back down. Keep an eye out for lots of great mushrooms!

great hike with the kids!

Mostly rocks on the trail but not terribly hard. I took my twin 3 year olds and 8 year old. My oldest rocked it and the little ones had us stop several times on the way up. Views at the fire tower are beautiful. Lots of people in and out. Would recommend going up the short trail, down the long.

we went up the long way and came down the short way. I enjoyed the long way much better very scenic and beutiful ferns and boulders. the shorter way has many more smaller rocks and deeper ruts making the hiking more rugged fire tower is really high. couldnt do it but my sone an husband loved it! very nice hike! highly recommend it

We went up the shorter trail and down the longer one and it was perfect. The sign said .6 for the shorter but my watch calculated .8. The way down also felt a bit longer but didn’t track it. The views from the fire tower were beautiful and the tower is in great shape. Make sure you stop to the dam and lake near the parking lot.

It’s steep in sections but nice views

I didn’t find the trail particularly challenging or interesting. The view from the fire tower is nice, but there are better views throughout the park and there’s nothing worth looking at on the way up.

We went up the north trail and back down the east trail. They are both a bit steep at parts, but manageable. Great view of Canada and Pine Lakes at the top.

Needs more trail markings. Somehow we missed the trail that took you to the top. Ended up at a campsite in pine lake. Will try it again.

Went up the short side, came down the long way. Really nice at the summit for lunch, not crowded on a Thursday afternoon. Great for families and dogs.

A good trail with a nice view from the tower. Do the round-trip it is worth it.

Our 6 and 3.5 year old girls enjoyed going on this trail. The longer section seemed steeper at points but the girls did it well. We had 3 dogs on this hike, ages were 1,11,12 and they all did well. There were a few muddy patches but only one kid stepped in it well. The tower view is great. The 6 year old went up and down two times to see it again. A few flies, not horrendous. We would happily do this again.

Arrived 10am on a clear, high of 90s day. wasn't crowded at all. Went up the north trail which seemed mellow but then ended up being pretty steep. East trail seemed to be less steep but a constant rise. Bugs were so so but the view from the fire tower was well worth it.

Great little hike with beautiful views from the fire tower! Hiked this today mid morning with my 10 yr old daughter and our black lab. Hiked up the East Trail and back down the North. Both trails in good shape with no litter! The pond at the base of the North Trail by the parking area is nice and our lab really enjoyed a post hike swim!

Nice quick trail. The view from the tower is nice. The trail itself needs more switchbacks in places to reduce the erosion. My 9yo handled it fine.