Kane Mountain North Trail Loop

Kane Mountain North Trail Loop is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Caroga Lake, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Kane Mountain offers great views and a nice hike by at least two approaches - one is the East trail which is 1.7 miles RT and the other is about 2 miles RT - both are moderate hikes. Dogs are also allowed but must be kept on a leash.

On 8/18 We hiked up the North trail which was rather muddy and returned via the East Trail. Lots of cool boulders and rock formations along the way. Little dissapointed in the condition of the cabin and the amount of trash we found right at the tower steps. Minimal views, other than from the tower. Otherwise, nice wide open spaces to rest and eat. The East trail was a quick return to the parking area.

Nice easy to moderately easy hike with a nice tower at the top. We took the south trail up and north trail down and it was icy and snow covered on 12/30. Micro spikes needed for trip down, lots of running water on lower section of north trail as well. We were up and down in less than 2 hours, with a good 20 minutes at the top for photos.

Hiked on Oct 15th, 2018. It was raining but the trail wasn't too muddy or slippery. Some rocky sections. We went up the East Trail and down the North Trail. The Fire Tower is open but due to the clouds we didn't have a view. The ranger cabin is in bad shape. Overall a very nice hike which we will revisit so we can see the wonderful views.

I actually came away from this hike fairly disappointed. The trails were much easier than I was expecting, at best I’d say they were on the strenuous side of easy. The summit was nice, but very crowded for an early morning. Views from the top of the tower were great and it was nice to see inside a ranger cabin for a change, even if it is covered in graffiti. I HATE that I’m this disappointed.

Easy to moderate hike with only some steepness near the top. We had to take a couple breaks to catch our breath but overall fairly easy. To get any good views you need to be able to climb the fire tower. My husband is afraid of heights so I took pictures for him.

A short and easy firetower with big payoff. Don't miss sunsets here.

Was a nice walk. We went up the north trail which was pretty mild overall and came back down the east trail. Great view from the fire tower, well worth the walk.

Overall a nice hike with fantastic views from the tower. The east trail is short, .6 of a mile, but not terribly steep. The north trail is slightly longer, 1.2 miles, but provides a much steeper climb. It’s sad to see the old caretakers cabin in such poor shape and covered with graffiti. The tower is in good shape. I also did the trail to Stewart and Indian Lakes, which was a nice time. A pleasant hike, and a nice workout!

Good hike. I did the lake trail first and then the mountain to the summit and fire tower.

Great, short and moderate hike. The views are only seen from the fire tower and they are beautiful!

I am a beginner hiker, trying to get back into shape. I found this trail to be moderate - had to take just a couple short breaks on my way up. I was surprised by the view on the fire tower. I will definitely be frequenting this trail. Great for a quick hike!

Not too challenging of a hike. Good trails for pacing. The views from the fire tower were gorgeous.

I've been on both trails ,not impossible bfir a first timer like me. view from top could be better. the only way to see the view is if you go up the tower

The view from the fire tower is incredible. Such a beautiful view of the surrounding land.

A very enjoyable short little hike. My husband and I hiked this with our dog on a leash (a corgi) on July 21. We liked the option of two different trails and the ability to hike it in a loop. The view from the fire tower was great. It’s too bad the old ranger cabin has been so badly vandalized. This is a nice hike for beginners or if you’re just looking for a short trail. We actually drove an hour east after this to hike to Spruce Mountain Fire Tower (working on the Fire Tower Challenge) and bumped into another hiker who had the same plan. The two trails together make for a nice day of activity. One note, the parking lot was jammed full as we were leaving before noon. Get there on the early end of things if you need to park.

Hiked this trail last week with my 6.5 year old. Trail was OK, just a couple muddy spots that we could go around. Lots of graffiti on the old rangers station which I didn't enjoy explaining to my daughter. Otherwise, loved the hike and the view from the tower.

Great little hike! Hiked it with my four kids! The north trail is nice and quick. The east trail was fun.. just a little muddy in spots. Love this hike! Great views from the top!

Nice day for a solo hike, there was only one mud patch along the way other than that the trails were great! The view from the summit was incredible once you make it to the top of the fire tower!! Another fire tower challenge complete!

My two kids, ages 8 and 9 1/2 hiked the loop today. Trail was well marked, and well maintained. A little muddy in spots which is to be expected this time of year. No view at the top unless you go up the fire tower. We all were a little skeptical at first but loved it once we up top! Definitely doing this one again and again.

Pro: Nice hike.

Cons: A lot of broken glass from people partying & view only from the tower.

Did the loop. Nice well marked trails. Great view from the fire tower. The trail is relatively easy with some wet areas, but mostly in good shape. Family friendly as I joined a family of nine and all ages at the top.

The parking lot was like a frozen pond. all of the thick ice was covered by fresh snow so I didn't know until I tried to stop and kept going. Luckily I was able to carefully turn my car around and there was traction on the one side of the parking lot. The cell service is spotty so I don't know if I would have been able to call for a tow truck. The mountain was the same way. Some parts looked like a frozen waterfall(not a bad thing). I had ice spikes so it didn't slow me down. My dog had some trouble but it gave me a few laughs. Overall the hike was short but rewarding. The only downside was all the graffiti on the cabin and the tower. It's sad that people can't respect the property for other people to enjoy.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Hiked w micros after a 26 below F Sunday morning followed by couple inches of rain 48 hours before. Snow set up good for micros would need more snow for snowshoes. First time up the red east trail and down the longer looped yellow north trail. Great views from tower. Worth a couple hours on the woods on a cold mid January day.

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Always a nice mini-hike, depressing to see what vandals have done to the cabin.

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Wind chill dropped temps to below -20 at the top of the tower but clear skies and sun made for good views. Walked up the trail in regular snow boots; followed someone else's tracks. Minimal to no ice today.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

A short, but nice hike. There aren't a ton of views on the way but the views from the fire tower make up for it.

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Nice trail, well marked. Good for a shorter hike but a LOT of people and had to wait to go up the fire tower but it had nice views.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

In and Out Red Trail. Trail was dry and even though they rate it moderate, I would say this is more easy to moderate even for the red trail. You will need to climb the tower to appreciate the views and it will be worth it. No Summit Marker was located so don't look for it.

Thursday, October 19, 2017

nice easy hike

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Lovely trail. There's no view from the top of the mountain but when you get up the tower it will take your breath away.