Kaaterskill Falls Trail

Kaaterskill Falls Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Elka Park, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Hunter, NY: At the junction of SR 23A and Kaaterskill Creek, parking is uphill to the west. Walk back down hill to reach the trailhead on the north side of the road.

can't wait to go back again one day!

Nice quick hike to an amazing waterfall! Unfortunately, I lost my necklace somewhere along the trail. If anyone finds a small oval pendant with a bluish green stone please please get in touch! It has sentimental value to me! tanskiae@yahoo.com

Definitely go on a day that would no be crowded. It is a short hike, and it was sort of an annoying single file line there. But the Falls are beautiful. The summer/autumn would be the best time. Definitely, if you can, climb the steep stairs to the top. The view is incredible!

Amazing place and a short trail. There is a split in the trail with one path going down by the water and the other staying in the trees a bit more. The one by the water is harder, and has a steep incline to get back to the main trail. Once at the falls you can swim, just beware the rocks are slippery. The trail does continue up to the top of the falls but I just stopped at the falls.

So beautiful! We went very early to avoid the crowd and it was well worth it! Fun short trail, lots of rocks, steep stairs but very rewarding. The falls are gorgeous! And if you decide to go all the way to the end pf the trail, the platform overlooking the falls is worth taking a look at!

Parking your vehicle is an issue, very limited space. Beautiful hike to the falls, well worth the trip.

My good friends ashes are spread here, it's a beautiful place to reminisce and feel close to him. One of my favorite easy hikes

I love this hike it's beautiful. I have been there a handful of time and am never disappointed. They have made lots of improvements with stairs and fences. I say it's an easy hike but there are lots of steps and the hike starts off with climbing up rocks that are kind of like steps.

A bit slippery and rough at times but a really fun trail. Last year a portion was blocked off so we couldn't do the entire trail. Crossing and walking on the busy road to get to the trail isn't ideal but in the end it's worth it.

Definitely not an easy trail. Don't take grandma. Quite crowded, steep, rocky, and slippery. Lots of signs warning hikers/tourists of many fatalities on that trail. But the view of the falls is stunning.

This was a beautiful hike to the falls! Muddy and slippery spots.

Gorgeous. Treacherous in winter- I did it with ice on the ground and wished for crampons. Options for longer loops here: https://www.nynjtc.org/map/catskill-destinations-kaaterskill-falls-trail-map