Jenkins Mountain Trail

Jenkins Mountain Trail is a 8 mile out and back trail located near Paul Smiths, New York that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My favorite in the North Eastern section. Did a winter outing with some friends back in December of 2000, I remember the hike well. Very cold with howling winds and blowing snow. I guess that's the winter in the Adirondacks. We enjoyed the area very much and the views weren't overcast by the time we got to the tower.

Hiked/snowshoed this ~ 9 mile out/back trail from the VIC center in around 5.5 hours. Recent snowfall made this trail absolutely breathtaking weaving in and out of the wooded areas of Boreas Pond. VIC always does a great job of grooming the Loggers Loop which makes it great for XC skiing as well. Its a long hike to the base of the mountain, but the grade is very gradual. Summit offers a spectacular view of Regis Canoe Area, VIC and Paul Smiths College, and a view of St. Regis Mountain and Firetower. In summer the trail offers a very scenic trail along beaver ponds as you walk along the ridge line. In winter the Jenkins Mountain trail is very quiet-- a lot of solitude and beauty with the falling snow as you hike. A great trail...long, but well worth the effort.

A long but mostly gradual uphill walk. Summit was nice but for me the sights on the way up are more interesting. The trail passes by some beaver ponds and winds a long the top of a series of eskers. I'd recommend going up from Keese Mill road and taking the trail that goes along Black and Long Ponds; it's more scenic and passes by two lean-tos. I have seen lots of pink lady's-slippers growing along the trail.

Nice very savage & long hike, challenging, no firetower at the top but overall a great view.
Near Paul Smith college turn on key mills road, then you will see after 2-3 miles some parking areas.

This is a great trail! It is a little bit of a walk to actually get to the start of the elevation but it was a great day. Only took us about 5 hours including time to chill at the top. Highly recommend it!

Jenkins mountain trail is a great walk in the woods. You park at the VIC (Paul Smith College Visitor Interpretive Center). Register in the VIC, there is no cost, they will give you a map of all the trails surrounding the VIC.
The VIC closes at 5 pm so plan accordingly, I got back to the parking lot at 8 pm and was relieved that they hadn't locked the gate.
As a 61 year old novice hiker, I found the trail easy, it is well marked. There are a couple of out houses and gazebos along the trail. Take your time and enjoy the walk. I was surprised that the meandering trail was not traveled much. The view at the top of the surrounding area is awesome.
I was there on a beautiful day the trails were relatively dry, that could be the difference between between an easy walk in the woods to a trail rated moderate. There were no other people on the trail and in places you wouldn't know there was a trail with out the blue paint on the trees.
There are many trails around the VIC all user friendly.
I will be back.

One of my favorite hike/runs. First 2 mile sis on a very wide truck trail. You then turn left and go on some nice single track. At first its very rooty and rocky, but gets better. For a novice hiker, its very easy. For me, this is one of my favorite trail runs. never gets too steep until you are almost at very top. Near top can get a bit wet in areas. I don't mind the "loop back". My desire isn't to just get to top and out. I also don't prefer a bushwhack to a trail, and novices wouldn't prefer a bushwhack. It passes some cool beaver activity. The view at the top is pretty good, but the high peaks are a bit away, so its not the best

It was a good hike but the trail could be shorter. It does a huge horseshoe loop. You're better off bushwhacking your way to the top. The sight was decent but not the greatest.