Jay Mountain Trail

Jay Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jay, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from January until January.

For fans of open ridge hiking! Summits are a two-fer, with a western and an eastern one. They are joined by an extraordinary "highway in the sky" for abundant views from many angles. Jay Mountain Trailhead: The intersection of Jay Mountain Road and Upland Meadows Road, which is reached from Rt. 9N in Upper Jay by taking Trumbulls Rd. for 2.5 miles where it becomes Jay Mt. Rd., which is followed another 0.8 mi to Upland Meadows Rd.

Great, varied, challenging trail. Awesome 360 views at the summit, which is elusive once you hit the ridge. Took just under 6 hours for me, 44, in decent shape.

Super nice trail. Pay attention! On the way down, just before the blue signs begin, I took a alternative trail without realizing it...I ended up being able to find the main path with my iphone gps.

Amazing views. No disappointment here.

Went twice in 2016: Nice views, slightly confusing where is the ending summit, both times had problem to find the way back at the same place. A must to do !

Was a great hike. Had alot of fun. Was a little confused as to where the actual summit was.

Nice hike! :-)

What a trail! One of the prettiest we've done! This moderate trail is everything you could ask for... Nice trail in the forest that suddenly transforms into this rocky trail. And the view! Wow.

My husband, our dog, and I hiked this trail on 5/28/17. While a little muddy on the way up, and quite buggy at the top on the ridge, the climb was worth it for the view. Hiking along the ridge is pretty great. Took us about 3.5 hours overall to go 5.6 miles, with a good amount of stops at the top for photos.

Everything I hoped it would be. Lots of walking on open rock, amazing views and total solitude. What more does a girl want?

Hiked 5/12-- Beautiful hike with great terrain, a well marked trail, and not too much mud. When you're getting towards the top I highly recommend taking a left when you get to the fork in the trail. It leads you to some rocks to climb, but the views are absolutely spectacular! I actually enjoyed the views from that little 'side summit' than the view at the actual summit! I would definitely do this trail again!

This was a great hike that offered great views along the ridge. There was perfect 360 degree views. I will definitely do this hike again.

absolutely loved this mountain, after just about one hour of walking, the amazing views started.
Probably the most beautiful place I've been to so far, even tho the weather wasn't totally on our side, hot, cold, windy, rain, hail, we pretty much got it all but it was worth every second!

good note, when you think your reaching the summit, your not, got us about 4 times, still far from the top, I could have turned around and I would have been plenty satisfied from all the amazing views I got, but of course we went all the way up to the top:-) it was a good challenge and worth it! Got some great footage to post online :-)

I highly recommend this mountain.

Spectacular hike. Once you're up on the ridge you enjoy views pretty much the rest of the way. After you get to the first summit, which is a short spur to the left of the main trail, the rest of the route is not marked with trail discs. However, there are cairns and you can see most of the remaining route. Once you're on the ridge you're mostly in the open and you go over several subsummits. At the last subsummit, which is really rocky and devoid of trees, you get the best views. You can continue to the true summit, which is not much farther, but the views are not as good. You'll know you're at the true summit if you see a cairn on a small rock patch. The top is broad and covered in many small trees, and you can no longer see any further humps.

I loved this hike. Great views and a little bit of everything along the trail. You go from the woods to open faced rock to a "field" on top. Just beautiful along the whole journey. I would highly suggest this hike.

Very nice hike. We did it with our kids (7 and 9) and they really enjoyed it!