Jay Mountain Trail

Jay Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jay, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

For fans of open ridge hiking! Summits are a two-fer, with a western and an eastern one. They are joined by an extraordinary "highway in the sky" for abundant views from many angles. Jay Mountain Trailhead: The intersection of Jay Mountain Road and Upland Meadows Road, which is reached from Rt. 9N in Upper Jay by taking Trumbulls Rd. for 2.5 miles where it becomes Jay Mt. Rd., which is followed another 0.8 mi to Upland Meadows Rd.

Loved the open views and rocks on a partly cloudy day. Fall foliage at its peak. Trail in the woods (first 3 mi) was carpeted with colorful leaves. Some rock scrambling at the end.

I would definitely go back in a more mellow temperature, there's a lot of walk out of the woods at the top so in my opinion, not a hike to do under full sun and really hot temperature. But I love love love the rocks :)

The DEC trail only goes to the 1st summit (jay mt). The trail is well marked with blue DEC trail signs. The grade is continuous mild-moderate to jay mt. Just before the summit there is a spur that leads left approx 75 yards to an open area with nice views. Once the summit is reached there is a herd path only to the other 2 summits of the jay mt wilderness. The ridge is undulating with cairns marking the way. Often there are multiple paths to take but overall pretty easy to follow in both directions--as long as you follow the ridge you're ok. The ridge has more steep sections, but the wide open 360 degree views are well worth it

definitely worth the hike. took my daughter who is 9 she loved the view. trails are clear and definitely challenging!

Great ride ,

If you don't have GPS you might not want to do this mountain. It is very easy to get off the main trail at times and very confusing to get back on because you aren't sure when you departed from it. The alternate trail I was led off onto comes to an abrupt end and you have to backtrack to find the main trail. The trail is marked in places that are misleading with cairns scattered in a lot of random spots. The views are alright, but arriving at the summit was unsatisfying because there were so many false summits that were better than the actual summit. There are much better mountain trails out there.

I am an experienced hiker, though the first three quarters of trail is well marked,the last quarter is
NOT. Coming down we followed some cairns leading us off the trail which made it very difficult navigating back to the actual trail. Very confusing and frustrating -- cause for distress. The trail is very ambiguous and needs to be better marked with PAINT. The placement of cairns in several locations is erroneous and therefore misleading. The summit is unfulfilling because it's not officially marked. The views are nice but poor trail markings greatly detracted from overall experience.We also saw a copperhead SNAKE! Beware..not a good overall hiking experience!

VERY beautiful at the summit! it was a bit confusing at the top, but i suggest going to the left when you reach top, the views are wonderful. The hike was a bit hard for me. However im really not in shape! i recommend to everyone, it's a good challenge for amateur hikers!

Very nice hike. The trail is well marked. Great continuous views from the ridge. We had a newbie in our group, it was a bit difficult for her but she managed to complete the hike all the same.

Great, varied, challenging trail. Awesome 360 views at the summit, which is elusive once you hit the ridge. Took just under 6 hours for me, 44, in decent shape.

Super nice trail. Pay attention! On the way down, just before the blue signs begin, I took a alternative trail without realizing it...I ended up being able to find the main path with my iphone gps.

Amazing views. No disappointment here.

Went twice in 2016: Nice views, slightly confusing where is the ending summit, both times had problem to find the way back at the same place. A must to do !

Was a great hike. Had alot of fun. Was a little confused as to where the actual summit was.

Nice hike! :-)

What a trail! One of the prettiest we've done! This moderate trail is everything you could ask for... Nice trail in the forest that suddenly transforms into this rocky trail. And the view! Wow.

My husband, our dog, and I hiked this trail on 5/28/17. While a little muddy on the way up, and quite buggy at the top on the ridge, the climb was worth it for the view. Hiking along the ridge is pretty great. Took us about 3.5 hours overall to go 5.6 miles, with a good amount of stops at the top for photos.

Everything I hoped it would be. Lots of walking on open rock, amazing views and total solitude. What more does a girl want?

Hiked 5/12-- Beautiful hike with great terrain, a well marked trail, and not too much mud. When you're getting towards the top I highly recommend taking a left when you get to the fork in the trail. It leads you to some rocks to climb, but the views are absolutely spectacular! I actually enjoyed the views from that little 'side summit' than the view at the actual summit! I would definitely do this trail again!

This was a great hike that offered great views along the ridge. There was perfect 360 degree views. I will definitely do this hike again.