Jay Mountain Trail

Jay Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jay, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

For fans of open ridge hiking! Summits are a two-fer, with a western and an eastern one. They are joined by an extraordinary "highway in the sky" for abundant views from many angles. Jay Mountain Trailhead: The intersection of Jay Mountain Road and Upland Meadows Road, which is reached from Rt. 9N in Upper Jay by taking Trumbulls Rd. for 2.5 miles where it becomes Jay Mt. Rd., which is followed another 0.8 mi to Upland Meadows Rd.

Awesome time - saw a fair number of animals (mostly toads and chipmunks, but we also saw what we think was an eagle). Great views all along the ridge at the top.

Visit the trail to the summit the 18-02-2018.
Ice condition with about 10 inches on the ground.
The ADK had received a lot of rain in the past days..
Use of boot spikes is recommanded.
I had clear the trail from 3 trees.
Very nice view .
Look the frosty trees on the top to take some good macro picture of the beauty of the nature.

Loved the open views and rocks on a partly cloudy day. Fall foliage at its peak. Trail in the woods (first 3 mi) was carpeted with colorful leaves. Some rock scrambling at the end.

I would definitely go back in a more mellow temperature, there's a lot of walk out of the woods at the top so in my opinion, not a hike to do under full sun and really hot temperature. But I love love love the rocks :)

The DEC trail only goes to the 1st summit (jay mt). The trail is well marked with blue DEC trail signs. The grade is continuous mild-moderate to jay mt. Just before the summit there is a spur that leads left approx 75 yards to an open area with nice views. Once the summit is reached there is a herd path only to the other 2 summits of the jay mt wilderness. The ridge is undulating with cairns marking the way. Often there are multiple paths to take but overall pretty easy to follow in both directions--as long as you follow the ridge you're ok. The ridge has more steep sections, but the wide open 360 degree views are well worth it

definitely worth the hike. took my daughter who is 9 she loved the view. trails are clear and definitely challenging!

Great ride ,

If you don't have GPS you might not want to do this mountain. It is very easy to get off the main trail at times and very confusing to get back on because you aren't sure when you departed from it. The alternate trail I was led off onto comes to an abrupt end and you have to backtrack to find the main trail. The trail is marked in places that are misleading with cairns scattered in a lot of random spots. The views are alright, but arriving at the summit was unsatisfying because there were so many false summits that were better than the actual summit. There are much better mountain trails out there.

I am an experienced hiker, though the first three quarters of trail is well marked,the last quarter is
NOT. Coming down we followed some cairns leading us off the trail which made it very difficult navigating back to the actual trail. Very confusing and frustrating -- cause for distress. The trail is very ambiguous and needs to be better marked with PAINT. The placement of cairns in several locations is erroneous and therefore misleading. The summit is unfulfilling because it's not officially marked. The views are nice but poor trail markings greatly detracted from overall experience.We also saw a copperhead SNAKE! Beware..not a good overall hiking experience!

VERY beautiful at the summit! it was a bit confusing at the top, but i suggest going to the left when you reach top, the views are wonderful. The hike was a bit hard for me. However im really not in shape! i recommend to everyone, it's a good challenge for amateur hikers!

Very nice hike. The trail is well marked. Great continuous views from the ridge. We had a newbie in our group, it was a bit difficult for her but she managed to complete the hike all the same.

Great, varied, challenging trail. Awesome 360 views at the summit, which is elusive once you hit the ridge. Took just under 6 hours for me, 44, in decent shape.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Super nice trail. Pay attention! On the way down, just before the blue signs begin, I took a alternative trail without realizing it...I ended up being able to find the main path with my iphone gps.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Amazing views. No disappointment here.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Went twice in 2016: Nice views, slightly confusing where is the ending summit, both times had problem to find the way back at the same place. A must to do !

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Was a great hike. Had alot of fun. Was a little confused as to where the actual summit was.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Nice hike! :-)

Monday, June 12, 2017

What a trail! One of the prettiest we've done! This moderate trail is everything you could ask for... Nice trail in the forest that suddenly transforms into this rocky trail. And the view! Wow.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

My husband, our dog, and I hiked this trail on 5/28/17. While a little muddy on the way up, and quite buggy at the top on the ridge, the climb was worth it for the view. Hiking along the ridge is pretty great. Took us about 3.5 hours overall to go 5.6 miles, with a good amount of stops at the top for photos.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Everything I hoped it would be. Lots of walking on open rock, amazing views and total solitude. What more does a girl want?

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Hiked 5/12-- Beautiful hike with great terrain, a well marked trail, and not too much mud. When you're getting towards the top I highly recommend taking a left when you get to the fork in the trail. It leads you to some rocks to climb, but the views are absolutely spectacular! I actually enjoyed the views from that little 'side summit' than the view at the actual summit! I would definitely do this trail again!

Friday, May 12, 2017

This was a great hike that offered great views along the ridge. There was perfect 360 degree views. I will definitely do this hike again.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

absolutely loved this mountain, after just about one hour of walking, the amazing views started.
Probably the most beautiful place I've been to so far, even tho the weather wasn't totally on our side, hot, cold, windy, rain, hail, we pretty much got it all but it was worth every second!

good note, when you think your reaching the summit, your not, got us about 4 times, still far from the top, I could have turned around and I would have been plenty satisfied from all the amazing views I got, but of course we went all the way up to the top:-) it was a good challenge and worth it! Got some great footage to post online :-)

I highly recommend this mountain.

Monday, December 12, 2016

Spectacular hike. Once you're up on the ridge you enjoy views pretty much the rest of the way. After you get to the first summit, which is a short spur to the left of the main trail, the rest of the route is not marked with trail discs. However, there are cairns and you can see most of the remaining route. Once you're on the ridge you're mostly in the open and you go over several subsummits. At the last subsummit, which is really rocky and devoid of trees, you get the best views. You can continue to the true summit, which is not much farther, but the views are not as good. You'll know you're at the true summit if you see a cairn on a small rock patch. The top is broad and covered in many small trees, and you can no longer see any further humps.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

I loved this hike. Great views and a little bit of everything along the trail. You go from the woods to open faced rock to a "field" on top. Just beautiful along the whole journey. I would highly suggest this hike.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Very nice hike. We did it with our kids (7 and 9) and they really enjoyed it!

Friday, October 14, 2016

My favorite hike so far! loved the view! Moderate difficulty, a little climbing at the end, but you can still enjoy the view without climbing.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Nice long hike and so many great views

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Great hike though the views weren't as good as expected. Some snakes on the trail so you might have to deviate in order to avoid them. Overall, a good hike for a cloudy day!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Read many reviews of the trail at various hiking websites and all had a general consensus of "Out of Shape Hikers- 2-2.5 hours" Well, it took me 3.5 hours (didn't think I was that out of shape!) If you want to reach the peak, focus on the peak, once you get out of the tree line, you can easily get lost in enjoying the views, which are amazing, and waste a lot of time. While driving up, there were ALOT of people at various other trail heads along 9N and 73, some with the lots full and cars along the roadway. We expected the trail head to be packed at Jay but found only a dozen cars and only met a few groups along the way. Yes, bring plenty of water and be prepared for several scrambles over fallen trees and be alert to the trail on the ridge-line, there are cairns but some spots the trail disappears and you really have to look for it. Also, bring something to pay the toll to the crows that fly around up there, they aren't afraid of hikers!