Inspiration Point and Boulder Rock Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(165)
Kaaterskill Wild Forest

Inspiration Point and Boulder Rock Trail is a 4.5 mile loop trail located near Tannersville, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 793 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

closed

Unless I’m mistaken, most trails were closed but a few in the region. Many entrances were gated off, closed signs posted and even some police presence. Trying to prevent the spread of Covid-19. We found our way along some other trails that were listed as open but were not able to complete this trail today.

closed

The falls is CLOSED you can not see any of the falls but the hike was still nice. Black flies are out so bring bug spray

We had a wonderful hike. Gorgeous views. Well maintained/marked trails and lots of different routes to choose from within the area. It had rained the week before so was pretty muddy in spots.

Absolutely beautiful trail. I went on 4/7 on a nice 65 degree day. It was not in the least crowded... maybe 3-4 other people for the entire 5 miles. The first 1/3rd of it was very easy and a mostly straight path with a few turns. After that, it got challenging and definitely had some steep sections, nothing going up and down. It got very rocky and was far from smooth. It was also pretty muddy at times but the payoff was totally worth it. The views once you hit inspiration point and the boulder rock overlooks are breathtaking. Being a beginner but also very in-shape, it was hard work for me at times. But the trail was so clearly marked the entire way that it was impossible to get lost, even for a newbie like me. There was blue markers every few hundred feet on the trees. Go visit!

Great trail, took us 2.5 hours with a stop for lunch. Nice scenic views

Easy hike, dogs kids whoever

Great trail with some nice viewpoints! Would definitely recommend taking the short detour to see the viewpoint over Kaaterskills falls! Hiked on 3/18 and trail was pretty muddy with one frozen/icy section near the bridge. Took the pup and she loved it (and especially loved getting muddy).

Lovey early spring hike, some ice in spots, but softening up on the 48F degree day! Beautiful views, and nicely marked.

First part of this trail is very easy- seems more like an uphill nature walk but stick with it. The ridge up to inspiration point is awesome! Definitely recommend adding the short out and back to the lower falls. One of the most incredible things I’ve ever seen. Crampons definitely necessary! A little scary but absolutely worth it. Great hike!!

icy

Go clockwise and see the lower falls at the end. Crampons are a must, very icy on scrambles and steps. Great views of the valley, and the frozen waterfall is unbelievable.

Easy and beautiful during peak foliage

this is a fun easy trail but i strongly suggest you do the Escarpment Loop, Kaaterskill Falls, Bastion Falls, and South Lake Loop is a 7.4 mile. starting from the Laurel house rd. here you can park and save the $10 fee for entering the campgrounds. also you'll see everything that that all the trails in this area has to offer. something we wanted to do but didn't have time for because we had 2 other stops to make before your 2 hour drive back home. all in all this is an awesome area to enjoy hiking and we will go back to do what i suggested. ;)

Well marked trail through lovely forest cover with several viewpoints along the way. I had the trail to myself for long stretches, which was great. It's very rocky and there are a few boulders to climb, so were I to do it again I'd wear my boots instead of my trailrunners. Bring bug spray.

Our loop back was an unmarked trail, but it was the loveliest stroll through a mossy woods.

Great hike. We went counter clockwise which makes the beginning tougher with an easy ending. Lots of excellent view points. Didn’t go out to boulder rock but plan to go back and do trail in reverse just to do boulder rock.