Inspiration Point and Boulder Rock Trail

Inspiration Point and Boulder Rock Trail is a 4.4 mile loop trail located near Tannersville, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Loved it, pretty views, some good inclines and some easier areas too
Great places for eating lunch, sitting in the rocks with the beautiful views

This was a great trail however the map layout is a bit misleading. If you Map the walk to Boulder Rock it adds a bit of mileage and i don't think it was "Moderate" . However the views were gorgeous. There are some ledges to be really careful on if you go for some good views.

Gorgeous views, amazing outlook. Highly trafficked, but with good reason, I've been many times.

beautiful trail!

Hiked to Inspiration Point from the Laurel House parking lot, and hit up the lower Kaaterskills Falls on the way back. Definitely a good hike. We're still beginners, so we weren't up to going on to Boulder Rock this go round...maybe next time. Trail was very well marked and had some challenging sections.

Beautiful hike. The signage is not great -- we followed the blue Escarpment trail from the Schutts parking lot, going counterclockwise. Added Boulder Rock as well. A few nice hills but relatively flat a lot of the way. I think this would be a nice trail run too.

This spot is amazing if you don't get lost! But even if you do, keep following the trail markers and you'll eventually find a way out! The inspiration point trail was poorly marked and never had an official sign so you know that you've made it, however the views you get to see along these trails make getting lost worth it!

Great, easy hike. We went when it was misty so the whole trail looked pretty magical but unfortunately didn't get any views to the top. We went up the blue, detoured toward Boulder Rock and then made our way back down the red. It was a little muddy and slippery at a couple of spots but that was to be expected due to the weather. Overall would recommend the hike for a an easier to moderate day hike.

Amazing trail, rather easy, very pleasant, gorgeous views and perfect for dogs. Only a few muddy spots this week end. We took a small detour to go check out boulder rock which added just under 2 miles to the originally planned loop but it was completely worth it! And at the end of the loop we checked out the kaaterskills fall overlook platform. I would strongly recommend it. Overall a very satisfying and relaxing hike.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Great to do with dogs - watch for a couple of drop offs at the trail edge near boulder rock. Hikes quickly, with moderate effort. Gorgeous, gorgeous view from boulder rock.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Great hike to do with dogs. Nice views along the way. Boulder Rock is a great spot for lunch before heading back. Trailhead is across the road from the parking lot even though it's not noted on the trail sign.

Monday, October 03, 2016

I agree that this is moderate- with not much flat ground (lots of roots & rocks) and some incline, it wasn't that easy for me but we completed it- a couple inexperienced hikers and 2 dogs! The hike wasn't named the same as on this app- it was the Blue Trail (or Escarpment on the map.) It took us 3.5 hours with lots of stops for pics. BEAUTIFUL lookouts!!

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Great hike and really good views. Boulder rock view is perfect. Good spot for lunch. Trail markers are well laid out for this trail, however finding other trail heads sometimes a bit confusing.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Wonderful hike.. Just a few caveats. We weren't sure where the trailhead was:,it is just across the street from the parking lot. We had no trouble finding our way but not sure whether the 4.4 mile loop included Boulder Rock. Things are very well marked but was uncertain which pieces of the trail would lead back to the parking lot. Since I have 2 hip Replacements, I gauge what I can do!

Monday, April 04, 2016

Great trail! Easy to follow and to cut across trails within the park. Mostly flat, a couple of steep parts. Wide open trail, great hike! Beautiful views, also.

Monday, December 07, 2015

I've done this trail from both South Lake starting near the Catskill Mountain House sit and from the Scutt Road parking lot. Either way is nice. Great view from Inspiration Point and Sunset Rock. Then just past Inspiration Point I saw the exact view of Kaaterskill Clove that Albert Bierstadt painted which now hangs in the Vassar College art museum.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Started at schutt rd parking area and took the blue trail markers across the road. It was 90 degrees and humid but we were prepared. Moderate hike and planned on turning back near the firefighters monument. Luckily my girlfriend pushed me to continue to inspiration point. The views are incredible. We had the dogs with us and took the horse trail back. Some small rock scrambles and proper footwear is a must. Top 5 hikes that I've done in the area.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Fairly easy hike. Was cloudy so didn't get great views of the Hudson from the old Catskill Mountain House.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hiked here with 2 moms and 3 kids, ages 7 or 13, for 4 hours. Satisfying views at lookout points. A very moderate trail, with plenty of rocks on the trails, a few bridges to walk over, babbling brooks, and cool boulders. Parked off of Scutt road (a right hand turn) which is just below the DEC booths for North-South Lake State Park. Study the trail map near the parking lot then follow the blue trail to Inspiration Point and then Boulder Rock. We stayed on the southern loops/trails. Will come again to do the northern loops to get to North Point. We brought plenty of water and snacks. Picked up only one piece of trash. Highly recommended for families or friends who want to go hiking for fun, and exercise!

Sunday, February 05, 2012

My friend and I intended on taking a short hike, but it was so beautiful we just kept going!

Monday, August 23, 2010

One of my favorite places in all seasons. Great views all around. Love it! Less crowded in the colder months!