Indian Kill Nature Preserve Trail

Indian Kill Nature Preserve Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Schenectady, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

An easy beautiful hike for dogs and small children. No trail markers, although easy to get around. Water all around, small waterfall with a foot bridge.

Nice trail. A little muddy in spots but was a pretty walk through the woods. Good trail for younger kids.

Parts of the trail are not marked very well hard to tell which direction to go next at times. Ticks were really bad pulled 7 off my dog when we got home. Make sure to wear high socks!

I got my workout here, it's beautiful. I'll always come back. Either just us or with our dog. Ticks were bad this year, maybe it will be better next year.

Great hike to the falls this afternoon with my daughter. The lower (blue) trail was a little muddy in spots, but not a problem.

We did the red trail loop. A little muddy this time of year but still a good hike. Went to the lower falls and took some nice pics.

Great hike, bit muddy after rain. Steep stairs, some washed out...small children may need help. Didn't make it to falls.

Nice trail

Great trail to bring 7-50 year old kids! If one is quiet when walking lots of woodland birds, deer, squirrels, even turkey! There are steep areas in places but with care a very enjoyable hike.

Easy. Great places to rest. Brought water shoes to cross stream for red trail. Wore bug spray. A few bug bites through my pants. Saw heron by dam crossing. Also. Oil sheen in water there.

Nice hike for hubby and I. It rained the entire day before we went so it was a little muddy in some spots but not bad. We will be sure to visit again soon with our daughter.

I'm new to hiking and was surprised by the challenges these trails presented. I'd have not rated it "easy" , but moderate. Some steep, and rooty slopes....ended up going across the kill ankle deep in water...getting to enjoy the second falls up close was a beautiful experience...was able to scale the slippery edges of the falls and actually put my hands in the flowing waters. Definitely fun and can be on the challenging side for newbies if you don't follow the trail markings turn for turn. Very lovely, woodsy setting. WEAR BUG SPRAY.

A little mud near the dam, but otherwise, a beautiful walk in the woods. Plenty of singing warblers out and about.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

I took a short walk here this morning from the Hemlock Hollow trailhead on Birch Lane. The trail down to the Indian Kill was a little icy, but was fine with micro-spikes. Thanks to the warm weather, there was a good deal of water in the creek and the falls looked nice.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Waaay too icy today

Friday, October 07, 2016

This was beautiful! Trails are well marked and maintained which was helpful as I had my 4 year old in tow. I am definitely doing this again!

Monday, October 03, 2016

Nice walk. Easy enough my two pups could do it!

Friday, September 23, 2016

Trail was easy and tranquil, lots of dog poop on the trail

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Took the dog for a quick hike on this cute trail and had a good time! Well maintained, slightly hilly. Stuck to the 1st loop and found a cute little sitting area towards the end, which is perfect for a little study/meditation spot. Keeping to the 1st loop allowed for a hike of just about a mile, which is just the right size for a beginner like me!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Recently hiked the Red Trail aka the Claire Schmitt Trail up to where Third Falls is located with a group as well as the Yellow Trail. Steep in places but still easy, and the red and yellow trails are well marked. It does look like at certain times, you will not be able to follow the red trail past Third Falls to Second Falls depending on how much rainfall the area has gotten recently.

Monday, August 08, 2016

The trail was ok came across a widow maker on back side of trail also a big tree across path .Unfortunately most of people was crossed paths with weren't very friendly will not return for that reason

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Great place to walk my dogs! Beware of the prevalent poison ivy on the lower trail towards the biggest waterfall.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

easy hike for 4 and 2 year old, though we didn't go the entire way

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Props to the folks that maintain the trails. They are well marked and an easy walk in the woods. Wear bug repellant or be pestered.

This was my second trek. Glad it was solo, gave me the opportunity to leave the marked trails and splash a little in the water, re-fresh-ing!

Did get a little turned about but the app. and some friendly folks got my turned right. Time for a rest and liquid refreshments.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Beautiful hike. There is some up hill down hill inclines. But there are wooden steps to help get up and down. Took my daughter and dog here. Absolutely loved it.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Easy, but pretty and accessible

Thursday, May 19, 2016

this trail is deeecent

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Very beautiful. Great for the kids. We were unable to cross the waterfall due to the recent rain to continue down the red trail, so we enjoyed the waterfall for a bit before turning back.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Lots of trails. There's a beautiful waterfall. The yellow trail was lame, but the blue and red are really nice and scenic.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Really pretty this time of year, fun nice walk would definitely hike here again

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Personally one of my favorite local trails. Albeit 2 miles long, it is a beautiful walk. Make sure to bring a blanket and some snacks to have a picnic near the falls when the weather gets warm! Very tranquil and peaceful place to walk through. :-)