Indian Head Mountain Loop

Indian Head Mountain Loop is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elka Park, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

From Tannersville: take route 23a to County Route 16 then make a right on Prediger Road for 1/2 miles to the parking

Steep climb, but the view was definitely worth it. It was a good workout with a couple rocky portions that probably account for it's difficult rating. Overall, a great time, good view and not too difficult.

amazimg views well worth the hard work

Stopped off 87 on my way to the Adirondacks to stretch my legs. Glad we did it, but wouldn’t go out of my way to do it again. I am an experienced hiker and did not find many aspects of this trail challenging. It was exceptionally muddy and other than one or two openings in the tree line the views were so/so.

This was our first backpacking hike in 2017 as we were particularly busy this past summer and the mountain top views did not disappoint. The overnight camping was amazing... just deafening silence all night.
I agree with the "difficult" rating but if you want to experience a hike on some portions of the famed Devil's path, this is it. A year ago, I and my wife Annie hiked up the equally difficult ascent to Mt Plateau at the opposite end of the Devil's Path. We are just the getting ready to do the entire 24-mile / five peaks of the Devil's Path, hopefully this Fall.

Great fun in between moderate and strenuous. Hiking with no technical climbing other than a very small and easy rock scramble.

This was a tough but enjoyable hike. Great views at the top. I'm not the most experienced hiker and I was able to complete this Loop in about 4&1/2 hours. That includes stopping quite a bit along the way to take pictures.

Be expected to spend the whole hike avoiding mud. I wouldn't say this hike was hard or that fun. It's relatively flat and gets steep for about 10 min then back to flat. Views were not great... When you get to the highest point, there is no view and you will hit 2/3 outlook after it. The first was not impressive, the second one was better. Took us a bit over 3 hours.

Really nice views at the end, and would rate it a decent moderate. It's about 5 miles out and back with some steep inclines, but generally a steady uphill. A warning: don't park on the gravel pull off just outside of the parking lot. I parked there on a Saturday, with about 6 other cars, because the lot was full. I got a $75 ticket for "parking on the road," even though I was completely off the road, just on the side.

Great hike. We finished the loop in under 4 hours from the Prediger parking lot. Steep and rocky, but fun. The trail was far more interesting and varied on the way up towards Indian Head. We didn't see a waterfall. On a Monday morning, the trail was basically empty, which was lovely!

Great hike. Did the T from Prediger Parking lot. Indian Head and Twin. Some tricky rock work, very crowded with day hikers.

Great hike with challenging (steep) scrambles. The trail was muddy in places, but the views of the mountains were worth it! We were unable to find water to drink on the higher elevations of the trail. There was no waterfall as mentioned in the description. Overall, worth the trip!

I didn't think this trail was very difficult, my 90 lb dog and I did it with ease. There are steep parts, but it's not technical, and there's plenty of level ground to balance out the steep climbs. It rained two nights ago and I hiked it today and it was still really muddy in a lot of areas, but that's hiking for you. The views are really pretty.

Very wet and tons of loose rocks making it dangerous. Wouldn't recommend this one. Jews are totally obstructed.

very difficult hike but rewarding and enjoyable, do not attempt in the snow unless you are well prepared and well acclimated for the journey ahead, if youve done devils path, you can tell anyone on any other trail that youve slayed the beast! not for beginners. great day trip

This was a challenging hike (i don't know about the hard rating)- there were definitely some steep sections but they were short. I started up jimmy Dolan notch trail and came down the other side - this was nice because it was steep going up, but by the end there was a nice flat section leading back to the trail head. I will agree with others that it got very buggy, especially closer to the top, but nothing unbearable.

Very enjoyable hike!! It was very muggy which in turn led to limited views because the fog was so thick. Went up the west side and came down the eastern side which by the looks of the folks I passed that were coming up the east side told me I made the right choice!!

Overall a very intense workout; brought my 8 and 15 year old ... they handled it well; the "cliff" was intense though. Very rocky and very muddy overall. Glad I didn't bring any of my younger children. A solid 4-5 hours. Bugs weren't too bad.

This was a wonderful hike. Just the right amount of challenge! The views were really great. There was no clear "summit" but three different overlooks. The second one was the best in my opinion. Our 9 month old puppy did the whole hike without a problem, only needing a little assistance on one of the rock scrambles. The reason it's not getting 5 stars from me is because the knats and flies were HORRIBLE! Even dosing ourselves in Deet did barely anything against them. They get better once you start reaching the summit and have more sunlight on you. Otherwise, a great hike. (LOTS of mud when we were there as well, so I recommend hiking boots)