Indian Head Mountain Loop

Indian Head Mountain Loop is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elka Park, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

From Tannersville: take route 23a to County Route 16 then make a right on Prediger Road for 1/2 miles to the parking

Very enjoyable hike!! It was very muggy which in turn led to limited views because the fog was so thick. Went up the west side and came down the eastern side which by the looks of the folks I passed that were coming up the east side told me I made the right choice!!

Overall a very intense workout; brought my 8 and 15 year old ... they handled it well; the "cliff" was intense though. Very rocky and very muddy overall. Glad I didn't bring any of my younger children. A solid 4-5 hours. Bugs weren't too bad.

This was a wonderful hike. Just the right amount of challenge! The views were really great. There was no clear "summit" but three different overlooks. The second one was the best in my opinion. Our 9 month old puppy did the whole hike without a problem, only needing a little assistance on one of the rock scrambles. The reason it's not getting 5 stars from me is because the knats and flies were HORRIBLE! Even dosing ourselves in Deet did barely anything against them. They get better once you start reaching the summit and have more sunlight on you. Otherwise, a great hike. (LOTS of mud when we were there as well, so I recommend hiking boots)

Awesome hike! We took the jimmy dolan trail up and then the devils path down. Great hike. However, I would say it's more of a "moderate" hike than a "hard" hike. Bring lots of bug spray and real hiking boots.

Let me start by saying that this is only my second hike and that I am slacking in the 100% fit department. With that said this was not as hard of a hike as it was said to be. Yes there is some rock scrambling but nothing that I could not handle. I also did this in the rain/hail which made it interesting. I would definitely recommend waterproof boots on this one. With some determination and taking your time you will be rewarded with some realy nice views.

My recording is for Indian head and Twin if you're looking to cross the two off your 3500 tally. The trails are really well marked and maintained, but are not for intermediate hikers. There is very steep ascends and descends at both peaks. And you will need to climb.
You can combine with sugarloaf, it's about a mile and a 1/2 past twin.

This is definitely a challenging and long hike. However, so beautiful and worth it, if you're able!

Phenomenal loop! If hiking in early April be prepared for ice. I recommend crampons.

Challenging with the snow but fun, great views.

Indian Head to Twin to Sugarloaf. "Devils Path". It was difficult because much of the steeper parts were thick sheets of ice. Frozen waterfalls. 12 miles. Impassable without crampons. 3/30/17

Very doable, did it with a few young first timers, 15 year-olds, they managed. Great reward is the view. Going back again for sure.