Indian Head Mountain Loop

Indian Head Mountain Loop is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elka Park, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

From Tannersville: take route 23a to County Route 16 then make a right on Prediger Road for 1/2 miles to the parking

amazimg views well worth the hard work

Stopped off 87 on my way to the Adirondacks to stretch my legs. Glad we did it, but wouldn’t go out of my way to do it again. I am an experienced hiker and did not find many aspects of this trail challenging. It was exceptionally muddy and other than one or two openings in the tree line the views were so/so.

This was our first backpacking hike in 2017 as we were particularly busy this past summer and the mountain top views did not disappoint. The overnight camping was amazing... just deafening silence all night.
I agree with the "difficult" rating but if you want to experience a hike on some portions of the famed Devil's path, this is it. A year ago, I and my wife Annie hiked up the equally difficult ascent to Mt Plateau at the opposite end of the Devil's Path. We are just the getting ready to do the entire 24-mile / five peaks of the Devil's Path, hopefully this Fall.

Great fun in between moderate and strenuous. Hiking with no technical climbing other than a very small and easy rock scramble.

This was a tough but enjoyable hike. Great views at the top. I'm not the most experienced hiker and I was able to complete this Loop in about 4&1/2 hours. That includes stopping quite a bit along the way to take pictures.

Be expected to spend the whole hike avoiding mud. I wouldn't say this hike was hard or that fun. It's relatively flat and gets steep for about 10 min then back to flat. Views were not great... When you get to the highest point, there is no view and you will hit 2/3 outlook after it. The first was not impressive, the second one was better. Took us a bit over 3 hours.

Really nice views at the end, and would rate it a decent moderate. It's about 5 miles out and back with some steep inclines, but generally a steady uphill. A warning: don't park on the gravel pull off just outside of the parking lot. I parked there on a Saturday, with about 6 other cars, because the lot was full. I got a $75 ticket for "parking on the road," even though I was completely off the road, just on the side.