Indian Head Mountain Loop

Indian Head Mountain Loop is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elka Park, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

From Tannersville: take route 23a to County Route 16 then make a right on Prediger Road for 1/2 miles to the parking

Be expected to spend the whole hike avoiding mud. I wouldn't say this hike was hard or that fun. It's relatively flat and gets steep for about 10 min then back to flat. Views were not great... When you get to the highest point, there is no view and you will hit 2/3 outlook after it. The first was not impressive, the second one was better. Took us a bit over 3 hours.

Really nice views at the end, and would rate it a decent moderate. It's about 5 miles out and back with some steep inclines, but generally a steady uphill. A warning: don't park on the gravel pull off just outside of the parking lot. I parked there on a Saturday, with about 6 other cars, because the lot was full. I got a $75 ticket for "parking on the road," even though I was completely off the road, just on the side.

Great hike. We finished the loop in under 4 hours from the Prediger parking lot. Steep and rocky, but fun. The trail was far more interesting and varied on the way up towards Indian Head. We didn't see a waterfall. On a Monday morning, the trail was basically empty, which was lovely!

Great hike. Did the T from Prediger Parking lot. Indian Head and Twin. Some tricky rock work, very crowded with day hikers.

Great hike with challenging (steep) scrambles. The trail was muddy in places, but the views of the mountains were worth it! We were unable to find water to drink on the higher elevations of the trail. There was no waterfall as mentioned in the description. Overall, worth the trip!

I didn't think this trail was very difficult, my 90 lb dog and I did it with ease. There are steep parts, but it's not technical, and there's plenty of level ground to balance out the steep climbs. It rained two nights ago and I hiked it today and it was still really muddy in a lot of areas, but that's hiking for you. The views are really pretty.

Very wet and tons of loose rocks making it dangerous. Wouldn't recommend this one. Jews are totally obstructed.