Hurricane Mountain Trail Southern Approach

Hurricane Mountain Trail Southern Approach is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a great climb up a smaller peak in the High Peaks region of the Adirondack State Park. This is one of the better non-4,000 foot peaks in the area. It has a completely bald summit with 360 degree views as well as a very cool firetower on top. it is a short climb from Route 9N and can easily be done in an afternoon. Make sure to bring a camera!

I really enjoyed this hike, especially the views on the trail. Unfortunately clouds came in after we got to the summit so we did not get the best view from the top. However, I would definitely do this hike again!

Trail was very enjoyable and a little challenging at the summit because of the rock scramble at the end. In addition to the great view from the summit, even without going up the tower, there are several nice views on the way up. Got hit with a pretty good thunderstorm on the way down but it’s all part of the learning curve I’m going through. In this case, don’t pack your rain gear at the bottom of your pack.

2nd time up Hurricane, first was the Northern approach, which was a huge challenge. This trail was so much easier. Well maintained, marked so well it’s unbelievable. This mountain has really become my favorite. The 360 views are spectacular.

This is an wonderful trail with just the right amount of challenge and truly breathtaking views. My dog and I had a blast. It just became my favorite hike!

Really good workout, and awesome mix of terrain. Few stops on the way- but very scenic from this approach. Top was strep but worth it

My favorite hike (so far) in the Adirondacks, period. Round trip it took about 3.5 hours with 30 minutes up top. This new trail is insanely well marked and includes lots of different terrains from woods, rocks, marshes, meadows, and a bald summit with 360° views and a fire tower. I can’t say enough good things about this hike as you’re getting a great hike, views, trail, and it only takes a few hours. One of the best bangs for your buck

Hiked this July 4th hot and humid 2 pm start. passed 2 people coming back had entire summit to myself and wow what a summit I encourage any hiker to do this 1

A great trail with a nice mix of scenery and terrain, as well as unbeatable views at the end. Trail itself was clear and clean. Took us about 4.5 hours to go up and down, taking some short breaks along the way.

Out-of-shape hikers (like me) beware: a good part of the trail consists of upward slogs, so take your time. Very doable though, overall. And the views are well worth it.

Awesome hike! The southern approach is a lot easier than the northern approach. The trailhead is right off the road, so keep your eyes open! It’s a relatively easy trail with steeper areas towards the middle. Two great overlooks before you get to the summit. I would defiantly do this hike again! Amazing 360 view of a lot of high peaks in the Adirondacks. You can have a view of them without doing one. For all you hikers wanting a quicker hike with the high peak vibe.

Best view of ADK, 360. Went up the east side trail and back with the dog. Intermediate is Accurate. First 1 mile is easy, next 1.7 Miles is intermediate.

First hike of the season, absolutely beautiful but steady upwards hike.

There was very little mud and all plank bridges are above water level. The fire tower is open. Dog fell in pond sniffing at a frog, dragged self out. Frog was fine.

Great views from the top. The middle elevations were really starting to melt on my way down, but the top was still very icy. Spikes worked well for me all the way to the tower.

Excellent!

Beautiful trail. Amazing views at the top!

A little icy towards the top but other than it was awesome.

It's a very nice trail with many great views.

Wonderful and easy to follow trail. Beautiful 360 view and fire tower very nice.

AMAZING VIEWS!!!!

This trail has big rewards for a moderate effort. Views from the summit (or the tower, for the more adventurous) are outstanding and panoramic. The trail must have been re-routed since I last climbed Hurricane in 2003. Perhaps Tropical Storms Irene and Lee wreaked their havoc on the old trail which followed a creek bed for the first mile or so; or perhaps beaver activity necessitated the route change. The hike is beautiful with several vistas en route to the summit. Footing is easy with few boulders to contend with, although there are some nice slabs and a bald, rocky summit block. Be prepared for high winds on the summit. We encountered 40mph gusts and 45F temps making the climb to the cab of the fire tower quite exciting! Trail maintenance seems to be on-going as there are lots of caches of 4x4s and planks beside the trail.

Me and 3 others hiked this trail this past Saturday. Got to the trailhead around 9am with minimal hikers there at the time. As always, earlier the better. This made for a nice hike as there weren't many individuals there yet. The ascend was moderate, steep at times with some nice level portions to regain your energy. The first viewpoint made the fire tower look forever away, but it is honestly an optical illusion as it doesn't really take long at all to reach it. The views were breathtaking and there are many areas to sit and picnic at the summit. The firetower is very sturdy as well. The breeze felt amazing. As we began our descend, the rush of people started. All in all, I definitely recommend this hike! Tip: be sure to wear a form of insect repellent as it tends to get rather buggy! Our party used pure cedarwood and it worked fantastic!

A lovely hike. Took it today with my 9 year old son. Loved the variety of terrain, spectacular views from summit. Well marked, with beautiful marshes with lots of wildlife and a steep but fun hike. We loved the scrambling and the firetower.

Loved it! Not hard on the knees, moderate and with astounding view at the top. Didn't have the courage to climb up the fire tower though !

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Best hike I have ever been on. Well marked, dry trail. Never felt like I was risking injury. Fairly steep from the start, but levels out often enough to keep it from being too difficult. Terrific views whether or not you climb the fire tower.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Beautiful trail with several lookouts & the view is almost as good as a high peak!

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Amazeballs.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Nice hike mostly in the woods with a couple views om the way up. Rocky summit has 360 degree view. Climbed the restored fire tower and got an even better view..I'm 76 and did the whole 6.8 miles in 3hr 40 min, plus a half hour on the top. Trail is in great shape, although my knees aren't as happy on the downhills as they used to be.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Really fun hike, easy half day

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Nice easy hike to take three kids and our 8 month old puppy on, it was her first adk hike and she loved it.weather is good trail was a little muddy but not that bad.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Trail recently redone with switchbacks makes this a 7 mile in and out. Wife and I are in good shape, took our 25 lb cocker spaniel up the mountain after 3 straight days of rain. Trail was muddy but manageable. Well marked and kept up. Took us 4:15 including a 30 minute break at the top. Very much worth the effort. This is on the difficult end of a moderate trail, though may be easier w/o the mud.