Hurricane Mountain Trail Northern Approach

Hurricane Mountain Trail Northern Approach is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Keene, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I did this as part of a double header today. First I did Poke-O-Moonshine. In hindsight I should have done this first, although if I did I am not sure I would have done both. I did the longer route. The first third seemed as easy as P-O-M but then you cross the bridge and all bets are off. It was steep and seemed to last forever. There is a nice lookout just below the tower. There were 3 or 4 trees over the upper portion that could make it difficult for some people. Also although the trail is relatively easy to follow the DEC must be running low on markers, they were few and far between.

The tower was open and the views from the base and in the tower are absolutely amazing. Made the pain and strain worth it.

I met a hiker on the trail who is getting ready to celebrate their 90th birthday. It is things like that that make these hikes satisfying. I can only hope that I can have that kind of longevity.

Good variety of grades. Nice vistas at the summit.

The views from the top are amazing and worth the climb! A climb it is though...we took the route up from hurricane Rd so it was a bit longer but apparently a slightly easier grade? Not sure about that!

Great hike on July 2,2017. This is the second time I have climbed this mountain. Trail was very muddy due to all of the recent rains which made it a bit slippery going back down the mountain. A great work out for me at the age of 67!

Have climbed this twice in 2010 and 2011 - one of the best views int he ADKs. Kid-friendly.

Hiked up Hurricane Mtn with my fiancée on 5/28/17 from the Hurricane Mountain Road approach. The first three quarters of a mile were flat, ascending terrain which wasn't too difficult. Then it was all uphill after that. The trail was muddy and there were many fallen trees crisscrossing the trail path which you had to either climb over or squeeze yourself underneath to continue onward. The trail could use some more markers. It's a strenuous climb if you're not in the greatest shape (like me). The insects are ferocious and are a nuisance so bring plenty of repellent. Boulders were wet and slippery.

The summit is very rewarding with such beautiful views. There is a fire tower on the summit with stairs that you can climb up (4 persons maximum) which is an added bonus to this hike. Its hard to believe that tower is able to withstand such high winds, but its very firm and sturdy. The high peaks are visible to the south.

Had a great hike up from the RT 9 starting point. We made our way to the Fire Tower and back to Rt 9. GPS track had us at 6.2 miles up and back the red trail.

Crampons and Micro Spikes were essential.

Wind and view were incredible at the tower.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Approached via Hurricane Road--not sure if that is North or South. Steady, somewhat steep incline all the way to the summit--other than walk in from parking lot, very little flat land. Great views from the top. A leisurely 2 hours to get up with one person in our party never having hiked before so going at a rather slow pace. When we reached the summit we were surprised that so many people were there as we were the only car in the parking lot and didn't see a soul on our climb. They came up from the 9N entrance or the crows (?) entrance. These trails might be less steep in the early parts of the hike, and were definitely more popular judging by the scarcity of fellow hikers on our trail. A great prelude to one of the high peaks.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great trail, very flat at first then a sudden uphill, rocky climb. Be sure to look out for the trail markers because at one point it feels like you're lost, due to how you're walking up what seems to be a dried up stream! Overall great hike, not too tough for me (17) and my little brother (15) and my out of shape father (44).

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Did it twice in last two years, great hike. One of our favorites in the Adirondacks.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Easier than it sounds. Well kept, steady incline. Fantastic view.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Beautiful view!!! Was expecting it to be more difficult so that was a nice surprise. The trail to the fire tower is not well marked once you get to the summit so you are kind of left to find it for yourself.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Really like the new Hurricane trail. Longer than posted, but better conditions and good footing most of the route. Firetower is an added bonus for more expensive views.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

the best view I have seen yet it is beautiful but at fire tower there is a bunch of bees

Saturday, July 16, 2016

For not being a high peak you get an incredible view of the high peaks. This hike was a slight incline for about a mile and after that you are navigating up the mountain through rocks, roots, and fallen trees. Make sure you bring a lot of water. You are in the trees the whole hike with no outlooks until the top. The fire tower has brand new stairs and it comes with a 360 degree view. It was pretty difficult but we made it up in about 1.5 hours and down in 25 minutes. This hike was awesome.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Great hike. 360 view from fire tower

Friday, July 08, 2016

This hike is worth every step and every breath, because the views and feeling of accomplishment are worth everything.

If you hit the map/direction option, it will take you right to the start, where there is parking.

Distance- I clocked it at 2.7 miles each way
Difficulty- first 1.5- 2 miles are not bad, easy, with a gentle incline. Once you get to that last mile, the incline increases and it is no longer a nice trail. You have to plan each step as you traverse rocks, roots, trees and branches, because of this it does earn that hard rating.

Overall a great hike, worth everything. Plan to stay at the top and soak it all in, and climb the tower with its new stairs!!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Great hike with incredible 360 degree views of the high peaks and the Adirondack park.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This was a nice trail that rewarded you with very nice views. The first 2 miles in were very easy to do, but the last .7 miles is where you did the majority of your ascending. The stairs and landings have been replaced on the tower which was nice to see. This is one hike worth doing.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

it was a dynamic panoramic view! a little cloudy due to the humidity. I believe this hike is a little more challenging than its rating but worth experiencing.