Hurricane Mountain Trail: Northern Approach

Hurricane Mountain Trail: Northern Approach is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Keene, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great climb with lovely streams and plants. Close to lake placid for a bite to eat after.

did the north trail this morning,took me about 1.5 hrs up and back down but I'm also 29 so yeah, great trail if you want to be challenged physically. The North side is mostly wash out path with a lot of flat rock to navigate, be mind full on feet placement on wet rocks and mud on shoes.

I can definitely see why this trailhead is rated hard. Starts out nice and flat, then nothing but rock and steep uphill climb from then on. The spectacular view at the top was worth every bit of effort. Absolutely stunning,

I am a fairly frequent hiker and would consider myself to be in good shape. I would consider this more of a moderate hike than hard. Great views at the top and the first 1.5 miles or so are very doable for the majority of people, regardless of experience level. Would for sure do again!

Hiked on 5/25/18. Took the trail from the Adirondack Park Preserve. The first 1.5 miles or so was a relatively easy walk in the woods. As you hit the 2 mile marker it became much steeper and the climb uphill began. Elevation increased and the trail thinned out with lots of rocks and some mud spots. Reached summit in about 2 1/2 hours. I now see why this mountain is called “Hurricane” the winds were brutal, I’d say 35-45mph. The summit was huge with lots of big boulders and the views were amazing. Could see a lot of the High Peaks. Fire tower was damaged at the top and looked as if it was undergoing repair. Made it to the second tier and felt like I was going to get blown away from the wind. Definitely an awesome mountain though. #17

Hiked Hurricane Mountain on 5/1/2018. Access road blocked with large snow pile & blowdown. Parked on the road a few feet up from the snowplow turnaround & walked the short distance up to the Hurricane trailhead. No other cars or people today. Last sign into Hurricane was two days prior. Was 9:45am & by the looks of things, it was going to be a great day. Perfect weather, warm even in the morning. Didn't even wear anything special, regular thermal, rothco cargos, knife, lighter, beacon, phone, trekking poles & was off. I read this hike was 2.6 miles but DEC signage says 3 so I always go by what they say when they say it. Today's hike with the access road, the hike itself & getting decently lost twice in the same spot on the ascent & descent, I'm calling it all 7 miles.

Hike starts out easy and stays easy. Right off the bat, it's a slush pile the whole way up. My feet never get wet. My feet were more soaked than they've ever been by days end. When you not trudging through actual sloshy ground ground, you're walking on an extremely obviously unstable pack above the stream bed. Luckily my foot didn't break through much & when it did, the water was not deep. Wore Hillsounds all day. It should have been snowshoes but it just felt like too much at the start. The lightning's would have been nice. No serious postholing though either. I was lucky. Passed a few minor water crossings, nothing crazy & before long was at signage saying I was .3 away.

My recent high peak & firetower hikes have been totally socked in, snow, rain, both, whatever. Probably my last 10 hikes have just been less than favorable weather. I was definetly ready to see what Hurricane was going be at the top especially after the stories I've read & amazing weather at hand. After the short .3 I was there & oh my gawwwwsh, it was amaaaaaaazing! Out of 50ish or so hikes in my career, this had to be top 10. It's really outraegeous. Even up there in the middle of it all it was warm, the wind was warm, sun was hot, high noon. My shirt was somewhat wet from sweat, was completely dry in minutes. Climbed the tower slowly & carefully and took a million pictures. Hung out on top, solo, for a half hour, took another million pictures, awed in amazement of The Great Range & many more, made a few calls, answered some texts & decided to go.

Right on my way down off the summit the sun was beating me good, not uncomfortably but good. I decided, the hell with it, i'll start to work on my tan now. Took the shirt off, tied around waist 80's style & flew on downwards. I kept thinking man, someone's gonna come walking along amd be like what the hell? Sure enough I wasn't wrong, lol. The only other hiker I would see all day. I apologized for being half clothed & we chatted for a few minutes. He said his feet were wet & I couldn't help but think, if your feet are wet now, they're going to be soaked later. He still had a ways to the summit. Said later to the gentleman & long story short made the uneventful slide/ skid down & thru a now muddy & soaked streambed where snow once covered just a few hours earlier.

Hit the register signed out, walked the road to my car, parked my ass right in the middle of the street & had lunch with the call of the falcons heard repeatadly overhead. It was a killer day. Perfect in every sense of the idea of an Adirondack adventure/ hike.

To note: I never post Firetower trip reports but with the extended winter & large amount of inquiries regarding conditions, I figured it could be helpful to some. Plus it was so damn good I had to rant.

Final thought...

It's really wet out there. Still lots of snow up high, slushy, slippery & muddy everywhere else. Bring gear. As everyone says, you only regret the gear you didn't bring. I went minimal today but a few extras would've been nice. Like water, water would've been nice. Ha :P

Hiking after a spring snowstorm of 6-8” of wet snow may not be the best idea. The going was slushy, slippery and wet. Thanks to the gentleman who blazed the trail today, markers are scarce. The first mile is easy. After that it is a pretty steady incline. It was a perfect sunny day and the view from the top did not disappoint.

Great views from the top! Nice, quick ascent for a great view payoff!

I did this as part of a double header today. First I did Poke-O-Moonshine. In hindsight I should have done this first, although if I did I am not sure I would have done both. I did the longer route. The first third seemed as easy as P-O-M but then you cross the bridge and all bets are off. It was steep and seemed to last forever. There is a nice lookout just below the tower. There were 3 or 4 trees over the upper portion that could make it difficult for some people. Also although the trail is relatively easy to follow the DEC must be running low on markers, they were few and far between.

The tower was open and the views from the base and in the tower are absolutely amazing. Made the pain and strain worth it.

I met a hiker on the trail who is getting ready to celebrate their 90th birthday. It is things like that that make these hikes satisfying. I can only hope that I can have that kind of longevity.

Good variety of grades. Nice vistas at the summit.

The views from the top are amazing and worth the climb! A climb it is though...we took the route up from hurricane Rd so it was a bit longer but apparently a slightly easier grade? Not sure about that!

Great hike on July 2,2017. This is the second time I have climbed this mountain. Trail was very muddy due to all of the recent rains which made it a bit slippery going back down the mountain. A great work out for me at the age of 67!

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Have climbed this twice in 2010 and 2011 - one of the best views int he ADKs. Kid-friendly.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Hiked up Hurricane Mtn with my fiancée on 5/28/17 from the Hurricane Mountain Road approach. The first three quarters of a mile were flat, ascending terrain which wasn't too difficult. Then it was all uphill after that. The trail was muddy and there were many fallen trees crisscrossing the trail path which you had to either climb over or squeeze yourself underneath to continue onward. The trail could use some more markers. It's a strenuous climb if you're not in the greatest shape (like me). The insects are ferocious and are a nuisance so bring plenty of repellent. Boulders were wet and slippery.

The summit is very rewarding with such beautiful views. There is a fire tower on the summit with stairs that you can climb up (4 persons maximum) which is an added bonus to this hike. Its hard to believe that tower is able to withstand such high winds, but its very firm and sturdy. The high peaks are visible to the south.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Had a great hike up from the RT 9 starting point. We made our way to the Fire Tower and back to Rt 9. GPS track had us at 6.2 miles up and back the red trail.

Crampons and Micro Spikes were essential.

Wind and view were incredible at the tower.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Approached via Hurricane Road--not sure if that is North or South. Steady, somewhat steep incline all the way to the summit--other than walk in from parking lot, very little flat land. Great views from the top. A leisurely 2 hours to get up with one person in our party never having hiked before so going at a rather slow pace. When we reached the summit we were surprised that so many people were there as we were the only car in the parking lot and didn't see a soul on our climb. They came up from the 9N entrance or the crows (?) entrance. These trails might be less steep in the early parts of the hike, and were definitely more popular judging by the scarcity of fellow hikers on our trail. A great prelude to one of the high peaks.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great trail, very flat at first then a sudden uphill, rocky climb. Be sure to look out for the trail markers because at one point it feels like you're lost, due to how you're walking up what seems to be a dried up stream! Overall great hike, not too tough for me (17) and my little brother (15) and my out of shape father (44).

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Did it twice in last two years, great hike. One of our favorites in the Adirondacks.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Easier than it sounds. Well kept, steady incline. Fantastic view.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Beautiful view!!! Was expecting it to be more difficult so that was a nice surprise. The trail to the fire tower is not well marked once you get to the summit so you are kind of left to find it for yourself.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Really like the new Hurricane trail. Longer than posted, but better conditions and good footing most of the route. Firetower is an added bonus for more expensive views.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

the best view I have seen yet it is beautiful but at fire tower there is a bunch of bees

Saturday, July 16, 2016

For not being a high peak you get an incredible view of the high peaks. This hike was a slight incline for about a mile and after that you are navigating up the mountain through rocks, roots, and fallen trees. Make sure you bring a lot of water. You are in the trees the whole hike with no outlooks until the top. The fire tower has brand new stairs and it comes with a 360 degree view. It was pretty difficult but we made it up in about 1.5 hours and down in 25 minutes. This hike was awesome.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Great hike. 360 view from fire tower

Friday, July 08, 2016

This hike is worth every step and every breath, because the views and feeling of accomplishment are worth everything.

If you hit the map/direction option, it will take you right to the start, where there is parking.

Distance- I clocked it at 2.7 miles each way
Difficulty- first 1.5- 2 miles are not bad, easy, with a gentle incline. Once you get to that last mile, the incline increases and it is no longer a nice trail. You have to plan each step as you traverse rocks, roots, trees and branches, because of this it does earn that hard rating.

Overall a great hike, worth everything. Plan to stay at the top and soak it all in, and climb the tower with its new stairs!!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Great hike with incredible 360 degree views of the high peaks and the Adirondack park.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This was a nice trail that rewarded you with very nice views. The first 2 miles in were very easy to do, but the last .7 miles is where you did the majority of your ascending. The stairs and landings have been replaced on the tower which was nice to see. This is one hike worth doing.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

it was a dynamic panoramic view! a little cloudy due to the humidity. I believe this hike is a little more challenging than its rating but worth experiencing.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Beautiful views from the top! The trail itself was moderate, but was definitely felt a little more taxing today considering it was about 90 degrees. Great trail to hike at this time especially since hikers are not advised to hike the high peak trails due to the muddy conditions. Definitely doing again!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Very challenging for the first hike of the season but worth it! Great view on the top.