Hurricane Mountain Trail Northern Approach

Hurricane Mountain Trail Northern Approach is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Keene, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Absolutely fantastic hike! Great trail. HUGE summit with tremendous views! Not a high peak officially but its views of the surrounding high peaks are as good as any high peak I’ve done. This peak rivals the views and feel of cascade in my opinion. The hiking path is very well marked. It starts of very gradual with some steep sections toward the summit. There are a few false summits/ open areas toward the top that tease what you will actually see at the summit. There are also many wood planks/bridges on this hike and I always enjoy those. There are three areas to fill your water if needed but they are all toward the start of the trail. The summit is bald and the fire tower views are incredible. Plenty of space in the summit to enjoy time with your group or by yourself. Lot of reward for this hike!

Things to know:

There is some parking along the side of the road and a small parking lot across the road that will hold about eight cars

There is a diner about maybe 2 miles from the trailhead if you need somewhere to eat and also another café at a golf course that’s even closer by. Of course the town of Keene only few miles away and there are plenty of options there as well.

I hiked this trail on a Friday and there were already a dozen cars at the trailhead by 10 o’clock in the morning. So I’m sure on the weekends this would be a very popular/busy hike

NOTE: the trailhead sign states this trail is 2.6 miles to the summit with an even 2000 foot elevation gain which contradicts what AllTrails has listed (2.5 miles 1574 elevation gain)

I did this as part of a double header today. First I did Poke-O-Moonshine. In hindsight I should have done this first, although if I did I am not sure I would have done both. I did the longer route. The first third seemed as easy as P-O-M but then you cross the bridge and all bets are off. It was steep and seemed to last forever. There is a nice lookout just below the tower. There were 3 or 4 trees over the upper portion that could make it difficult for some people. Also although the trail is relatively easy to follow the DEC must be running low on markers, they were few and far between.

The tower was open and the views from the base and in the tower are absolutely amazing. Made the pain and strain worth it.

I met a hiker on the trail who is getting ready to celebrate their 90th birthday. It is things like that that make these hikes satisfying. I can only hope that I can have that kind of longevity.

Good variety of grades. Nice vistas at the summit.

The views from the top are amazing and worth the climb! A climb it is though...we took the route up from hurricane Rd so it was a bit longer but apparently a slightly easier grade? Not sure about that!

Great hike on July 2,2017. This is the second time I have climbed this mountain. Trail was very muddy due to all of the recent rains which made it a bit slippery going back down the mountain. A great work out for me at the age of 67!

Have climbed this twice in 2010 and 2011 - one of the best views int he ADKs. Kid-friendly.

Hiked up Hurricane Mtn with my fiancée on 5/28/17 from the Hurricane Mountain Road approach. The first three quarters of a mile were flat, ascending terrain which wasn't too difficult. Then it was all uphill after that. The trail was muddy and there were many fallen trees crisscrossing the trail path which you had to either climb over or squeeze yourself underneath to continue onward. The trail could use some more markers. It's a strenuous climb if you're not in the greatest shape (like me). The insects are ferocious and are a nuisance so bring plenty of repellent. Boulders were wet and slippery.

The summit is very rewarding with such beautiful views. There is a fire tower on the summit with stairs that you can climb up (4 persons maximum) which is an added bonus to this hike. Its hard to believe that tower is able to withstand such high winds, but its very firm and sturdy. The high peaks are visible to the south.