Hunter's Creek Park

Hunter's Creek Park is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wales, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Just off of Rt 78 in the town of Wales. Two entrances one on Hunters Creek rd one on Centerline.

This trail system is beautiful and well marked! I didn't follow the map it gives you on here but there are a lot more options than just this one trail loop. It was easy for me and my dog, and we both loved wading in the creek. The small rapids were so nice to sit by and relax! Definitely comimg back here!

Moderately populated. Trail markers are spotty at best - easy to get lost if you're not careful about your bearings, but a great place to get lost in. When in doubt, follow the creek.

First time there and we loved it. Felt like you were all alone in the woods! You can go off the “normal” path and explore.

Rather rocky but an excellent running trail nonetheless.

great for running,biking,and hiking!

Really nice to find such an amazing spot this close to the city.

Pleasantly surprised with this one. Highly recommended

trail is easy. some trails marked better than others. heavily used by bikes

Definitely not moderate difficulty. The creek portion of he hike was good. We started on the western trail and ended following the creek back to the parking lot. Quite a few bugs but, fun for kids. Dogs are allowed.

Flat trail. many trail systems here so be aware of your location to not get lost. Gets muddy easily and has great creek access.

A nice place to hike. Many different trails to take. There's a lower lot for parking off of Hunters Creek road or you can park at the upper lot on Centerline road. If you want to be adventurous, you can make a loop out of the parking lots. It means crossing the creek.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

got off trail again then back on, no prob. i found you can hear traffic going over the bridge which`helps you get your bearings. the trail i came out on was opposite vermont hill rd, made a left a walked the road back to the parking lot. always something new.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Orange trail and purple trail loop

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Easily one of my favorite places.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

i agree it's easy to get off the trail you started on. not enough paint at the intersections. when you decide which way to go there should be another color code for reassurance. this was my first time there and i made it out ok. started on pink, suddenly on red, then back to pink, ended up getting out the way i came in instead of completing the pink loop. def going back if only to figure out where i went wrong. liked it.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

The west side of the trail loop was more of a mountain bike route with deep muddy ruts from tire traffic.

The east side of the loop was worth a five star rating alone.

Overall the marking of the trails was poor and I used my gps to locate myself several times. It was easy to wander off the main trail but hard to get lost.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Definitely got lost but it was great trying to find our way back. Very confusing with the markers and got off track. It was really muddy but we expected. Slipping and sliding alot. Great hike!

Sunday, March 26, 2017

So glad we discovered Hunters Creek! The dogs loved it just as much as we did. There is definitely a good amount of trails and we are already planning to go back next weekend. We are not avid hikers by any means so if you are kinda new to this I suggest snapping a picture of the map before you start your hike or use this app to record your hike so you don't get lost. I didn't think the trails were marked as clearly as they could be so you have to pay close attention. It's also very muddy right now so dress appropriately. Happy hiking!

Saturday, October 22, 2016

We have been hiking the different trails at Hunters Creek every weekend this Fall and love it! The lower lot offers a 1.3 mile loop, the upper lot offers a few loops. The trail markings are a little off or questionable at times but we've never been lost or anything.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Awesome trail for a day hike, nice creek walk too

Sunday, July 31, 2016

nice area have been there several times multiple can make it hard or as easy you like big loop hard Creek easy you can get feet wet

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This was a great park for an easy hike. The trails were quiet. We went on a weekend midday and didn't see anyone else on the trail. Lots of tree coverage made for pretty scenery in the summertime. I will be coming back again!

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Did a quick hike on the purple trail off the lower lot. Well marked (flashes look like they were recently re-done) and lots of wild life. Look forward to getting back and doing more trails (there are several)

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Easy hike for kids and dogs

Monday, April 18, 2016

Enjoyed the north end of the trail to the creek bed but found the southern loop a title anticlimactic. Recommend starting and ending at the north parking lot and making it a trip to the gorge bed. Quick tip - don't come back up from the gorge using the fire line...

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Well marked, parking available, and a big enough area you can hike in relative peace without always running into other people.

It gets very wet at the trail heads because of all the mountain bikers.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Great hike. I went down in February and it was pretty icy. Hiking boots are needed! I was happy I had mine. I enjoy that the trails are more open to exploring instead of steps and railings.
I'm so pumped to check this place out in the summer and take the dog.

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Excellent! Lots of native hemlock - a favorite of mine - and a great place to go no matter the season. Can get very muddy, but when has that stopped anybody?

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Excellent hike - looking forward to taking family back.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

First real hike with sterling, bella, and kaymar. We hiked the conversation trail to the lower lot, then took a secondary trail off the loop up there. I would probably guess through a part of the old growth forest located in the park. The secondary trail was very cool, a couple of interesting trees to climb and a good spot to try the alcohol stove for the first time to brew tea. From there we hit the pipeline and crossed a small stream and up the only "big" hill in the park to pick up the red trail. Kaymar wouldn't make the jump over the stream and had to turn back to a shallower spot to cross. The red trail dipped into the creek bed, which would be neat to come back and do during the summer, and then brought us to the pink trail back to the jeep. New backpack felt great, no complaints. Overall probably did 7 to 8 miles