Hunter Mountain via Spruceton Horse Trail

Hunter Mountain via Spruceton Horse Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Kill, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

snowboarding

Hike up Hunter Mountain with the option to turn this hike into a loop by coming back on Devil's Path. The Spruceton Trail is not technically difficult but the gradient gradually increases to 20%. There is a water source on the trail and a shelter. The mountain gets crowded on the weekends. At the top there is a Fire Tower, picnic table and caretaker’s cabin. This loop also works well in reverse.

Good trail well maintained. Great views at lean too and fire tower.

An awesome trail. Continued on to SW Hunter ( Leavitt peak). 10.28 mile loop. Well worth it.

Definitely do this loop starting on Devils path vs spruceton road (which is actually abroad...). If you do this you have to walk about .5 to car. Did this on cloudy day so views obscured. Included SW hunter for about 10 miles. Go to top of fire tower for best view and if you are lucky you can get inside the cabin. Its only open weekends from Memorial Day to Columbus Day. Coming down spruceton is easy and not at all scenic. Would rather end my day this way. Decent climb on Devils path, no views except for Geiger point.

Great work out for the day. All trail is mostly in the forest, but, your goal is Fire Tower. You will see outstanding views. It's extremely great point to observe all areas. All trail is well-maintained, but it will be better to have the map.

This should not be rated "hard". Not even moderately hard.

This is a great hike on a well maintained trail. I combined Hunter and Rusk mountain on this hike giving me two Catskill high peaks. Check out my write up, it includes directions and other things to look for.

Combined with West Kill

We turned this hike into a loop by coming back on the Devil’s Path. The Spruceton Trail is not technically difficult but the gradient gradually increases to 20%. There is a water source on the trail and a shelter. The mountain gets crowded on the weekends. At the top there is a Fire Tower, picnic table and caretaker’s cabin. We had lunch on the front porch of the cabin. The spur trail to the Devil’s path was flooded and we spent a lot of time doing walk-arounds. The rocks on the Devil’s Path inflamed my knee and Plantar Fasciitis to the point where if I were to do this hike again, I would go up the Devil’s Path and down the Spruceton Trail.

We had it a bit easier as we hiked from the chair lift in. There's a fire tower at top, which makes it all worth while. Sensational views. It's just over a mile, mostly uphill from the chairlift to Sprucetown Rd, and the just over a mile from that intersection to the tower. So, make it just over 4 miles in and out using the chair lift. There are also views from the top of the lift area.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Friday, June 03, 2016

I wouldn't say it's a "moderate" hike, as the first part was allll uphill and coming back down is even worse! It's an intense walk so be prepared for a workout. The fire tower at the top is nice. There's some lookouts along the way. A lean too at one point as well. It was a bit chilly when we did it and not much scenery to really look at besides straight woods.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

I have hiked Hunter twice. The first time I went from the other side and used the devil's path until we hit the tower and made our way down to spruceton road.

The second time, I took a group of inexperienced hikers using this route. My friends had no issues with it, but they are also fairly athletic people. We also hiked the extra 2.2 miles to go to the Hunter chair, but that wasn't worth it as it was just a chair lift for skiing. Overall, a well marked path that is less steppy and rocky and more of a steep gravel path if that makes sense. Saw a ton of small snakes and the bugs were annoying until it rained.