EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Hunter Mountain via Becker Hollow Trail

Hunter Mountain via Becker Hollow Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hunter, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A 4,000 foot Catskill peak and one of the Northeast 111 in an easy day hike up to a great fire tower lookout. This is the most difficult route up Hunter Mountain but also the shortest climbing 2,000 feet in just 2 miles! The top of this mountain has a little cabin, picnic table and a great fire tower you can climb for unbelievable views in all directions and down to the ski trails lower on the mountain.

Very steep, challenging hike. The view is worth every ache and pain.

Trail runners; this is a fun route but the majority of it is not runable. You climb roughly 2000ft in the first 2 miles, I’m talking super steep, a power walk at best. It gets the steepest roughly the last 1/2 to 1/4 mile. Once you summit though you can take the yellow trail to devils path which is much more runable. Devils path quickly descends roughly 3 miles to a small but cool waterfall at mile 6. I turned around and ran back up devils path running the same route backwards. In total I ended up with roughly 12 miles with over 4000 ft of climbing. Ohh, and today is may 7th 2018, and there is still snow and ice at the summit pretty much all of the way down the yellow trail to devils path.

Very steep but. Very rewarding hike. Beautiful trail.

it's a steep trail and can be rough towards the top. there was still plenty of ice for the last 0.6 miles in 1st week of May. in the end you are awarded with amazing views and a sweet ache in your legs. downhill was tricky too with slippery rocks and stones. took me 3 hours with minimal rest. reminded me of trekking in the Himalayan in Nepal. liked it and would do it again.

Hiked yesterday in the sunshine approx mid 40’s. Very intense and steep hike to the top of the summit. Challenging to say the least, with ice and snow as you reach the 2,000 ft mark. All uphill, but once to the top the views from the fire tower were amazing. Took about 4 hours round trip and would highly suggest spikes or crampons!

Amazing day! Trail is not broken above 3500’. Microspikes and poles are a must! Snowshoes would be a big help as well. Enjoy every step!

Just went up and back on this trail. Snowshoes are definitely required as there is a lot of snow. Coming down is easy since the trail is essentially a toboggan run with very little sticks and branches and stones to get in your way. No view from the top unless you climb the tower but there are handrails on both sides and so we went all the way to the top. Note that the viewing room at the top of the tower and the cabin at the base of it will likely be locked

Attempted 3/17/18. Trails are not fully broke so snowshoes are necessary right now. I’m >200lb so I break through a little easier but still pretty soft. I made it about 1/2 mike in and was just post-holing. Great trail for the distance I did it but stow is almost 20” deep and hasn’t been packed enough to travel without flotation.

Pretty tough and steep at times, came here with my boyfriend and our husky and made it to 3500 ft elevation before we decided to turn back because the ice made it super slippery and dangerous. Will be back in the warmer weather!

Started great, takes you straight up. Very icy! Definitely need crampons and an ice axe. My husband and I were using our micro spikes. Got close to the summit but unfortunately didn’t get to reach it. Decided to turn back as we felt it would’ve been unsafe. Lots of slipping and sliding lol BUT we will be back

Really fun with amazing views.

Great hike, challenging ascent but fantastic views from the fire tower.

weather was great. Hard trail. Round trip 3.5 hrs
Worth it

It was a great hike on a beautiful day!!

A nice hike I wouldn't call it hard but on the more difficult side of moderate
Closer to the top it was a little slippery took us 4.5 hours out and back

It was a ton of fun but it was a little steep at some parts of the trail

v good

We took our small dog up the trail and he was totally fine with the difficulty. It's a dog friendly trail too!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Great hike

Monday, September 19, 2016

this was a very hard hike. I do not recommend for anyone who struggles with steep inclines. although it is very hard it is a very good short day hike. also very busy fire tower. the signs were a little confusing near the top and do not agree well with the official trail map but after a few back tracks we found it. was a little disappointed with the trash on this trail, please leave no trace!!