Hook Mountain and Nyack Beach Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(389)
Hook Mountain State Park

Hook Mountain and Nyack Beach Loop is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Congers, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,017 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

partially paved

historic site

This trail offers incredible views of the surrounding area. Follow the teal/green trail blazes. Highlights include Hudson River views, dramatic underneath panoramas of the Palisades Cliffs, stone ruins, birds of prey, the historic Knickerbocker Ice House site, and large oak groves.

30 minutes ago

My husband and I walked this trail today. 1st it was not 5.8 miles but 6.5. We started at the green trail and walked up and down for about 2 miles and then down a steep area for awhile until we reached the white trail. So it was 3.5 miles to the white trail and fairly moderate. The white trail was about a mile and it was muddy. We then came out on a street for awhile which led to Nyack Beach. The rest of the trail was easier for about another 1.5 miles along the Hudson and then up again back to the car. Overall a tough one for us but parts were very beautiful.

Nice trail. Starting counter clockwise is nice- this way you do the woods first. Follow green trail head and eventually you’ll switch over to white (it’s pretty clear on the map). As someone else stated- part of the white trail feels sketchy as you’re walking close to peoples backyards, but it’s quick. Ending at Nyack beach is nice as it’s a smooth, flat surface for walking on and therefore leaves the easiest part for last- but this part is more of a walk than a hike

Cliffs are beautiful and the walk by the beach is nice, this part not so much a hike though. Some beautiful views. Only part I didn’t like was walking through the sketchy white path to get to the beach part felt like I was in the woods of people’s backyards. That part was not relaxing but overall a great hike.

Beautiful trail but very busy. Beware about 95% of people were not wearing a mask or following social distancing.. it felt like we were in another world... we didn’t go counter clockwise but it was still great. Next time we’ll go the other direction so we finish with the easy part next to the Hudson. Great views at the top. Our fitbit GPS said roughly 6.8 miles and we stayed on the trail the whole time. Our two medium sized dogs loved it too!

This is a lovely route with mostly an easy and flat route with a few moderate grades. We were out early morning, saw a few deer, and heard plenty of birds.

Beautiful trail, but more on the easy side. If you take it counterclockwise the last two miles are essentially flat along the Nyack Beach walking path. The initial hike through the woods is also very gently uphill - no rock scrambles that I can remember. There’s a great lookout point a couple minutes off trail at the beginning of the hike. All in all great views for not too much effort.

Nice trail except not clear that you turn on white after coming down from Hook Mountain part instead of following green/teal to road. Turn down white which goes along people’s backyards and get to a quieter road. Go down left and then a right down road to enter Nyack beach state park. Nice variety of terrain.

Definitely an easy-very moderate hike. I intended on going counterclockwise as suggested here, but didn't end up that way lol. So I started with a really nice walk along the lake, followed by a pretty intense hike up to the summit (i havent hiked in 6 or 7 months). Nice shade throughout, a couple muddy spots, but not too bad. Took me about 3 hours with some breaks.

closed

Note: closed due to Covid-19. I drove to a parking by Nyack Beach and from there I actually couldn’t find access to the trail. There’s some sort of resting zone right by the parking and restrooms were on the same level. I had to go down to the riverside/bikeway and walk few miles before being able to enter the actual trail. There’s another parking by the entrance, so make sure you put Hook Mountain in your navigation. The hike was steady, good exercise until I hit the hill with a decent overview. Be careful of the slope, rocky and fairly slippery while walking down. You might pass by some private properties if you follow white trail or end up in a nice residential area.

closed

CLOSED - Went by today and it’s closed - saw some people entering by Nyack beach from the road thought. We hiked it last weekend so it’s a recent closure.

Does anyone know if it’s open during covid?

Enjoyable hike with numerous amazing views of the Hudson River and Tappan Zee Bridge. Enough elevation change to get a decent workout. Going counterclockwise makes sense so it’s a nice easy walk along the river at the end.

Beautiful trail! Awesome views.

Great trails and great views.

Good views but a lot of people and part of the trail is on the road