Holmes Lake

Holmes Lake is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bleecker, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Short trail with a beautiful lake at the end. As stated before, Holmes Rd can be rough for cars but there a multiple parking areas past Old Peters Mill Rd and also near the end barrier (recommended only for high clearance vehicles). This trail is not frequented especially during the week so it can be very quiet. If you decide to do Little Holmes Lake as well, the trail is marked by faded pink/red ribbon and the trail is overgrown. The junction for the trail is off of the Shutt Rd trail at a junction where there are (3) orange snowmobile markers and Shutt Rd will start to go westward. Holmes lake would be a great location for a beginners overnight, short hike with a lean-to, verizon service is spotty, however.

I am so grateful this place exists. The walk was long, but so worth it. There were some muddy spots but nothing that was too hard to handle. The lake was absolutely incredible. The water was so clear you could see the plants growing at the bottom which gave me the creeps since it seemed at least 40 feet deep but it was amazing. There are big rocks you can walk onto to star gaze over the water. It was absolutely beautiful. People had even left cans of food and toilet paper! The lean to was bigger than I expected and was very cozy to sit in while a fire was going. Since my boyfriend, my friend and I were unable to stay, we had to walk back in the dark which I would not recommend because we got lost a couple times and had to retrace our steps so camping there is the best idea. We cannot wait to return to this place. I would recommend this to everyone if I didn’t want to keep this my little secret. One of the most interesting things was a journal left in the lean to which had pages and pages of entries from so many people writing of why they came up there and what they did and how they felt about the place. It was exciting for us to add our own entry too. Never been more in love.

I went backpacking by myself. I recommend parking at the CR 125 junction before entering in. There is parking nook on the left side beginning of Holmes Road. I parked overnight with no problems. Half of Holmes Road leading to the lake is private property so you will notice a lot of tire marks and signs to not enter off the road. Some are very muddy. You will see a yellow gate blocking all cars to enter and the trail from then on has mini creeks so you have to walk around the trail if you don't have rain boots. Overall the end point is beautiful and there is a premade campfire setup by others. The view is great to wakeup to during the sunrise.

Nice little walk through the woods. The lake itself is crystal clear and there is a small campsite right on the lake for tenting . The lean-to is set back a few hundred feet from the lake but is clean and has pots/pans/ and a metal grate for cooking already there. The trail shown on the map is actually mostly dirt road. Cars can drive down 1/4 of the trail. Off-road vehicles can drive down 1/2 the trail before being stopped by a metal barricade where the actual trail begins. It's one mile from the end of the dirt road to the lake. I parked 1/4 of the way in and it only took an hour to get to the lake. Would make a nice spot to camp for anyone who doesn't want to walk far but still wants to be away from civilization. I did see perch fish jumping out of the lake to catch dragonflies and there are signs that suggest trout live in there as well. Trail was fairly dry with some boggy spots but it's easy enough to get around them.

Monday, October 05, 2015