Learn more

Hither Hills Trail is a 8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near East Hampton, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 423 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

take montauk hwy to napeague harbor rd in 3/4 miles to the parking

Beautiful views but way too many ticks. I never experienced anything like it. My dog had literally over 20 ticks on him. Brought some home too after checking ourselves thoroughly. Not worth it!

great trail, however go with caution. my husband and I just pulled off easily fifty or more ticks off our poor dog- even WITH soresto collar on :(

I liked this hike, long and easy. From Old North Trail we took Coastal Trail and we saw many scenic views, so beautiful!!! Be aware of ticks, we brought one home :)

Easy and nice!

Great for my golden retriever!

Parked at convenient overlook. Very moderate trail through varied terrain. The trails are well marked although I didn’t see one called Hither Hills Trail. Suggest to skip the easternmost part of the path as it goes onto the road and doesn’t add anything in terms of beauty or interest. (Actually goes past a carting company. What is that part for??). Otherwise nice views of the water and lively plant life. Laurels? Azaleas?

Great trail! My suggestion: do the trail in reverse, forget about the eastern bit of the loop and cut over the train tracks, and then add the coastal trail to gain back some distance. Perfect weather in mid-March

Fun time. Road from F3 to the Brewery. Very hard.

Sun Jun 09 2019

I dipped off the recorded trail towards the end because it seemed to follow a paved road near the lake, but otherwise it was a nice hike. Surprisingly varied for coastal area. Don’t sleep on this - it’s a nice break away from all the humans out in the Hampton’s!

Sat Nov 17 2018

A variety of terrain, topography and scenery made this a terrific day hike with the wife and the dog. Some stellar views of LI Sound (with Connecticut & Rhode Island in the distance) from atop the rather abrupt bluff edges. Be sure to leash your dog and watch your step; some of these trails literally bottom out after years of exposure to the Northeast elements. We went when it was cold so tick activity was not a factor. But I can see it being as issue when the mercury rises. This 8 mile loop route was just what we needed. I'd definitely do it again.

Thu Jun 21 2018

Looked like a great hike but want able to go for a mile in because of mosquitoes. These bugs were everywhere and made it uncomfortable. They were biting and swarming around us. Also, beware of ticks.

Sun May 06 2018

Good bike trail with several very scenic segments. Easy to find parking at Hither Hills Overlook from where the trail will turn left just few meters before crossing the gravel/dirt road. If you're riding the bike, do not take the road.

Tue Jun 21 2016

Find laurel canyon when the mountain laurels bloom. 3 miles of heaven . Great views of the sound.

Fri Oct 18 2013

Nice ride with scenery all the way. It was a beautiful fall day and just right for a long bike ride.

Sun Sep 01 2013

Certainly the most scenic trail on the island. Jump the train tracks to hit the coastal trails and have a dip in the sound!!!! Only issue is lots of thorns so bring lots of tubes just in case you wind up walking the last mile like me lol

Fri Jul 20 2012

Awesome trail. Ride it 3-4 times a week mix trails up. Good loop is 15-18 miles. Nice up and down hills. Sound sand spots which can turn u into a tree. Be careful. Crosses 3-4 roads. Very well marked trails. Parking on rte 114 is great

ohv/off road driving
Wed Feb 29 2012

Nice dune & beach driving. Nice area of Long Island. Water views.