High Peters Kill Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gardiner, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

partially paved

Ascend through a now-wooded area of former fields and stone walls to enjoy ridge views and reach the cascading Peters Kill (stream) in Minnewaska State Park Preserve.

Made for a great, fairly easy hike and was perfect to take in some amazing views of the foliage, from both sides of the valley. The mix of terrains climbing and descending the 2 peaks and valley kept things interesting and fun the whole way out and back.

Loved it! Me and my husband went into this hike not really knowing what to expect and we weren’t disappointed. It had beautiful mountain views and waterfalls. I highly recommend trying it!!!

Loved this hike but I would recommend doing it as a loop, either from Coxing Kill parking or as I did from West Trapps. From West Trapps take the West Trapps Connector very briefly until you hit Shongum Path then take that downhill. Then take Old Minnewaska Trail past Coxing Kill and the picnic area, stopping at Split Rock to check out the rapids there. After you pass the Enderly ruins you’ll cross Clove Road to the Coxing Kill parking and hook up with the High Peter’s Kill Trail. You’ll start to climb, passing the King’s Lane Trail, which takes you out to Lost City and Dickie Barre. I’ll have to check those out another time. There are some great views from the top of High Peter’s Kill Trail, but you’ll miss the first one if you don’t go straight on the clear herd path right as you get to the top of the climb. Definitely check that out - great views back toward Skytop Tower. After some more climbing you’ll emerge onto a big open rock face with pitch pines. Take some time to walk around there and enjoy the views back toward the Catskills. From there you drop down to Peter’s Kill, where there are some nice bridges over the creek. Then you climb again - some more open rock areas to walk across as you proceed toward Minnewaska then eventually you’ll drop down and can cross the road to Minnewaska. I don’t see the point in turning back here. If you just continue a bit further down the paved road that parallels the highway then go right and follow the signs you can visit Awosting Falls, walking out onto the rocks both above and below. Then just follow the Awosting Falls Carriage Road to the Trapps Road (almost all gently downhill) and it will take you over the Trapps Bridge. Go left after the bridge and proceed back to West Trapps parking. Doing it this way makes the return a lot easier and you get to see more of Peter’s Kill. The last mile and a half on the Trapps Road is a bit boring but it’s an easy stroll. This loop version ended up being about 9 miles.

I'm puzzled why this is listed as 'hard', I would say it's easy-moderate at best. I did this section of the SRT or Shawangunk Ridge Trail, and there are some wonderful views from the ridge of the Catskills and Minnewaska park just not as much as Gertrude's nose or the High Point trail in Sam's Point. There is plenty of shade on this trail if you need it, places to rest, mostly flat terrain with a few easy descents and ascents and no rock scrambles. The blazes are starting to wear off, so be careful you don't follow other footpaths into the hunting lands. Saw plenty of squirrels and snakes (black racers) and heard but didn't see some timber rattlers. Be aware the rocks when wet after a rain are as slick as ice. Interesting rock formations and what look like small caves slightly off path (no ice though). On a weekday, I came across several other groups so not quite as empty as you might expect. Be careful crossing the highway.

Decent trail. Not worth the 15$/person and passive aggressive attendant where we parked at the head though. Would not do again.

surfing

I
hd
lots o fjn surfing in California

It should be an up and down, not an out and back, but it is so fun and rewarding! Amazing views!

Great hike. Lots of elevation. We made it a loop by crossing over to Awosting Falls trail and taking the carriage path back to Trapps, where we then picked up Shongum path to the parking lot.

I wouldn’t rate it as “hard” but it’s a nice hike. Some views and cool rocks....

Great trail with some spectacular viewpoints. Moderate to low usage, so you will have a good portion of the trail all to yourselves.

I hiked this trail back in January of 2016. It was one of the tougher ones I did when I first started hiking regularly. Its pretty rocky and can be a bit of a slog but it’s beautiful. I went a few days after a light snowfall so my trekking poles certainly came in handy. There’s also a gorgeous waterfall called Awosting Falls that’s beautiful to see if you have time to make your way to it.

rock climbing
Monday, October 23, 2017

a very nice hike . Rock climbing area is the best , definitely need climbing gears in some parts . views on the top are probably the best views I ever saw. very hard to find parking , the whole parking area was full , I had to park approximately 2 miles away from track .so try to get there a little early

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Nice fall day, unbelievable views on both sides of Peters Kill.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Keep going until the end

Sunday, February 19, 2017

This is a nice trail with varying terrain. There are just a few spots for views but still beautiful trail.

Friday, October 21, 2016

There's some small cliffs off the side of the trail that offer some awesome fall veiws.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Nice smooth day hike. Rated harder than actually is, but the views on a clear day don't disappoint.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Great trail. Beautiful sights. Some parts of the trail feel difficult but I went in thinking it was moderate and it did feel moderate at first. It's a great workout but not too difficult.

Monday, November 09, 2015

Gorgeous views, nicely strenuous, great hike

Saturday, September 05, 2015

AT has this trail rated as a Moderate trail, and the state park rates it as a "strenuous" trail. For someone who grew up in the White Mountains, and doesn't hike with any regularity, I felt this trail was on the very low end of Moderate, if not on the high end of Easy. And, it's atypical of most trails in that the climax of the experience is met half way through. That's when you arrive at the massive opening on the ledge looking out to the south. Those views on an autumn afternoon would be amazing. If you find yourself on this trail during rain fall, be wary that a significant portion of it is exposed ledge or rock which will be quite slippery.

For me, I'll like use this trail as a training trail with various weighted back packs to prepare for a winter hike in New England.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

This is a long trail through accessed at Peters Kill parking lot or the Minnewaska parking lot or the Coxing Kill parking lot. I have done the whole trail over time. The best parts are the panoramic views ans the rushing waters of the Peters Kill and wild rhododendron in bloom in July. I also had a couple bear sightings including mother and cub. Also don't miss Sheldon Falls upstream from High Peters Kill trail. - Brad S.

Friday, June 26, 2015

I did this hike on June 4th 201. I searched for the hardest trail because I live in Colorado and hike Colorado. I was really happy to have a great challenge. This is a beautiful trail and it does give you a great workout.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

We were here on a perfect fall day. The views from the ridge are outstanding. It's a great place to view the beautiful fall colors.