High Peters Kill Trail

High Peters Kill Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gardiner, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Ascend through a now-wooded area of former fields and stone walls to enjoy ridge views and reach the cascading Peters Kill (stream) in Minnewaska State Park Preserve.

I wouldn’t rate it as “hard” but it’s a nice hike. Some views and cool rocks....

Great trail with some spectacular viewpoints. Moderate to low usage, so you will have a good portion of the trail all to yourselves.

I hiked this trail back in January of 2016. It was one of the tougher ones I did when I first started hiking regularly. Its pretty rocky and can be a bit of a slog but it’s beautiful. I went a few days after a light snowfall so my trekking poles certainly came in handy. There’s also a gorgeous waterfall called Awosting Falls that’s beautiful to see if you have time to make your way to it.

rock climbing

a very nice hike . Rock climbing area is the best , definitely need climbing gears in some parts . views on the top are probably the best views I ever saw. very hard to find parking , the whole parking area was full , I had to park approximately 2 miles away from track .so try to get there a little early

Nice fall day, unbelievable views on both sides of Peters Kill.

Keep going until the end

This is a nice trail with varying terrain. There are just a few spots for views but still beautiful trail.

Friday, October 21, 2016

There's some small cliffs off the side of the trail that offer some awesome fall veiws.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Nice smooth day hike. Rated harder than actually is, but the views on a clear day don't disappoint.

Monday, March 07, 2016

Great trail. Beautiful sights. Some parts of the trail feel difficult but I went in thinking it was moderate and it did feel moderate at first. It's a great workout but not too difficult.

Monday, November 09, 2015

Gorgeous views, nicely strenuous, great hike

Saturday, September 05, 2015

AT has this trail rated as a Moderate trail, and the state park rates it as a "strenuous" trail. For someone who grew up in the White Mountains, and doesn't hike with any regularity, I felt this trail was on the very low end of Moderate, if not on the high end of Easy. And, it's atypical of most trails in that the climax of the experience is met half way through. That's when you arrive at the massive opening on the ledge looking out to the south. Those views on an autumn afternoon would be amazing. If you find yourself on this trail during rain fall, be wary that a significant portion of it is exposed ledge or rock which will be quite slippery.

For me, I'll like use this trail as a training trail with various weighted back packs to prepare for a winter hike in New England.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

This is a long trail through accessed at Peters Kill parking lot or the Minnewaska parking lot or the Coxing Kill parking lot. I have done the whole trail over time. The best parts are the panoramic views ans the rushing waters of the Peters Kill and wild rhododendron in bloom in July. I also had a couple bear sightings including mother and cub. Also don't miss Sheldon Falls upstream from High Peters Kill trail. - Brad S.

Friday, June 26, 2015

I did this hike on June 4th 201. I searched for the hardest trail because I live in Colorado and hike Colorado. I was really happy to have a great challenge. This is a beautiful trail and it does give you a great workout.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

We were here on a perfect fall day. The views from the ridge are outstanding. It's a great place to view the beautiful fall colors.