High Falls Cat Mountain Trail

High Falls Cat Mountain Trail is a 19.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wanakena, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

loved this hike .my father and a couple buddies plus myself just completed the loop ,loved every minute

Lots of trails in this area and lots of possible variants around here. With spurs out to High Rock, High Falls and Cat Mtn my GPS read just shy of 20 miles. I like to save Cat Mtn for last so I do this counter clockwise. As others have said it is wet and usually buggy. Traffic is moderate on nice weekends and virtually non-existent during the week or off season.

Please wear long pants and waterproof shoes. Bring bugs spray.
It is a cool trail just a little too wet.
It's a hard trail for me especially going up to cat mountain....
Going to cat mountain and then high fall and back the same way is about 16.3 miles.

Had some great sights and was well maintained. Weather caused me to shorten my trip to an out and back to Janack's Landing along the eastern edge of the trail. Janack's Landing had a nice lean to and a beautiful view of the lake. Only bad thing was that the trail was extremely muddy and underwater in some areas, so expect to get your feet wet or bring waterproof boots.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Loved it!!!

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Thursday, April 07, 2016

This is a really fun, very easy trail. I did it as an overnight in mid-July 2015. The western half of the trail was EXTREMELY wet. My feet were soaked for at least 8-10 miles. We did the loop clockwise and started on a late Friday afternoon. We spent the night at Janacks Landing on the shores of Cranberry Lake and finished the hike on the second day. Janacks is a great campground. The lean-to is in excellent shape and there are 3 or 4 other tent sites within 50 yards.

If I were to do the hike again, I would take 2 full days so I could get in some fishing. I would stay at High Falls camp where there is another great lean-to and several tent sites. There is one camp right below the falls that is amazing. We swam in the pools at the top of the falls and the water was glorious.

The hike is definitely doable in 1 day, but not if you want to be able to stop and "smell the roses". I'd recommend 2 days just to not feel rushed at the 4 or 5 really pretty locations on the trail.

This link to YouTube is a great video about the Loop Trail.

Things to remember - 1. Prepare for wet feet. 2. Bring bug spray 3. Bring an ultralight trout rod if you like to fish.

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Directions are wrong. It's 3 to 61 to S shore drive.

Thursday, September 03, 2015

This trail is great, but would be more fun taking multiple days to complete it. One part of the trail was pretty much under water, this was fairly close to the end/beginning of the trail (depending on which trail head you start on). Overall very beautiful.

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Monday, April 20, 2015

Amazing trail, some good campsites along the trail. There are a few places where beavers have damed up parts of the trails but simple to get around. If you follow directions from the app it don't take you to the trailhead, if using a GPS look up south shore road.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Not a bad hike nice camping area couple tough spots but overall fairly easy

Monday, April 23, 2012

Nice easy hike differnt trail conditions due to weather very enjoyable.

Friday, December 09, 2011

Awesome view! Great hike!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

This trail was amazing. Lots of diversity when it came to the hike. I personally thought it was easy. I would recomend this hike to anyone interested in tge hobby