Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

High and Low Tors is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near New City, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,082 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Steep and rocky in parts but not too busy on a sunny Sunday afternoon. The view from High Tor is spectacular and 360 degrees. We could see the Manhattan skyline to the south, the entire Hudson Valley, and the village Haverstraw 1000 feet below, as a half dozen eagles hovered.

Great short challenge. Lightly trafficked but graffiti spoils some the view.

icy

Nothing like watching a Sunset from Little Tor✌

I gave this a 3 because although it was a great workout the views were of the towns below (and water) and there was a lot of trash on the trail. Shame. So many other, prettier hikes in the area. I’m glad I did it. Over 6 miles. Over 100 flights climbed but I won’t do it again.

lots of shade only open spaces are at the peak. nice cruise through hike with great views. climbing the view point is the hardest part.

Great trial. moderate acceptcpt for when you get closer to High Tor. Gets a bit more Rocky and steep. I would recommend.

Sun Mar 31 2019

Park is closed until April 1st but there was no indication of that anywhere. Couldn’t find the opening of this trail either. Poorly marked.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Awesome place to hike I love going there every weekend! Beautiful view at the top and the hike is gorgeous!

Mon May 15 2006

I did this hike a few years back, following the loop in the opposite direction described in this guide. The trail is beautiful and you can spend all day exploring what lies just beyond the paths. For example, there is an old car completely taken over by the forest, and huge rock outcroppings beg to be climbed. Vernal pools are numerous, and a man-made pond for the Country club along the white trail is rich with life. There are two negatives about the hike though; At the time of my hike, the trail is heavily eroded in some areas due to illegal ATV use (early in the hike, we heard them in the distance). Also the view at the top was disappointing. The gorgeous panoramic view of the NYC skyline is marred by the poor conditions at the summit. Various "shortcuts" to the top via ATVs have made it an accessible party spot for the nearby college students. As a result, fire pits and beer cans littered the top when we were there. I do not know if it is still like this, however, if I hike High Mountain again I plan on avoiding the summit altogether and spending my day along its many trails instead.

recorded High Tor via Long Path