Heart Lake to Wright Peak, Algonquin, and Iroquois Peak

Heart Lake to Wright Peak, Algonquin, and Iroquois Peak is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Elba, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Although a bit strenuous, the MacIntyre Range is one of the most beautiful climbs in all the High Peaks. There are a few ways to climb these peaks, and whatever way you decide, you'll have great views all day, weather permitting. Start off at the Adirondack Lodge at Heart Lake. After signing in at the trailhead at the far end of the parking lot, follow the path 1 mile. You'll see a trail intersection, marked, follow it to the right because that is your path to Wright Peak, Algonquin, Iroquois Peak. It is 2.6 miles to the summit of Wright. For the first part up towards Wright, the rocks make a stairway which is pretty nice and easy to follow. You'll encounter some steep rocks but they are easy to get up. You can't miss the sign for Wright Peak (#16 on 46'er list), follow the trail left .4 miles to summit. On clear days you can see for miles in every direction. There is a plaque dedicated to Servicemen who's plane crashed into the mountain so search around for it. After you climb back down, keep heading up the trail about 30-40 minutes and you'll be on the summit of Algonquin (#2 on 46'er list). Very beautiful views. If you follow the summit you'll see carins lining down the backside of Algonquin leading towards Iroquois Peak which is 1 mile. Now, after following the carins down you'll see an arrow pointing left, do NOT take it. Go right. From here, the path is a very narrow. At one point, the rocks get steep and you'll have to climb part of it. Shorter people and children will have difficulties here. But once you make it over the first peak, Iroquois is the next one. Just keep following the trail and carins and you'll make it. Once again more great views. On the way back, you can follow that arrow and take it towards Avalanche Lake, and follow the signs to Marcy Dam and the Lodge or just back track the way you came.

Excellent hike. The last mile to the top of Algonquin is very difficult. Great waterfalls on the way up. Very hard on the knees coming down.

The first bit of the trail is easy, then comes the steep and endless rock- this will leave you huffing and puffing and hating yourself for not working out more often.
The descent to boundary & Iroquois is a nice break and the climbs up aren't too terrible considering what you've just accomplished, plus there is NO way you're coming back this far just to do Iroquois.
On the way back to the Loj stop and climb Wright! Approx .4miles with the second half uber steep and exposed at some point you will probably begin Hating your life, but hey! It's not that far.

All in all this hike is hard but enjoyable with some time to eat at the summit expect to be 8-9hrs the 360degree views are fantastic and 123million % worth it

the trail starts out very easy for first two miles, then comes a moderate climb to the split. The trail to Wright is angled but fair for .4 miles. the views are excellent, though I personally was glad we did this first of the three since I'm not sure we would have appreciated it as much after seeing Algonquin and Iroquois views. honestly I thought the views vere terrific.
After Wright it's a brisk and steep climb to the top of Algonquin, but certainly worth the effort. lots of space on the top to recover and enjoy your surroundings! We we're one of several groups that tackled Iroquois last. We left our backpacks and scampered through the lovely alpine vegetation trail to some sweet views on Iroquois.
Warning, Avalanche pass was closed for repairs so we had to resummit Algonquin to backtrack to the Loj. This was by far the most challenging stint for an older novice. we tried to deterine the entire length of this trip (ranger said 10 miles there and back but did that include Wright's .4+.4miles?, other places sat 9.1mi.)It felt long no matter what it was All in all a challenging but very rewarding hike. My group and I will talk about this trip for a long time.

Awesome hike! One of my favorites so far. We did Algonquin, Iroquois, back over Algonquin then Wright. It took us about 7 hours to do.

Best high peak I've done to date, though tough! Had done Wright previously, so came back to do Algonquin and Iroquois. Took just over 9 hours for the two of them with about 1/2 hour on Algonquin and 15 min. on Iroquois to enjoy the views. Really enjoyed the trail from Algonquin to Iroquois, but be sure to turn right at the bottom of Algonquin and head through a small opening in the brush. The turn came sooner than I expected and I would've gone the wrong way, if not for a couple people who pointed to the small opening. The views from Algonquin are amazing! Let 7:30am, returned to the Loj at 4:30pm.

Hardest hike I've done to date. Took me about 10 hours to complete, but I also hung out on each summit for at least a half hour. Weather was perfect, but I can see this being really tough while raining or just after rain with the amount of rock scrambling you have to do. If you're going from Algonquin to Iroquois, when you come to the trail sign that tells you to go left, walk straight into the woods. The opening is small, but there's a heard path there that takes you to Iroquois. I encountered a few people that took that turn left by mistake. The turn takes you to Lake Colden. Last but not least the views are amazing. Check out the pics I posted

Loved this trail!

Took me 9,5 hours not including the time at the peaks to do Alqonquin --> Boundary --> Iroquois --> back to Algonquin the same path and then Wright peak before coming back down.
An awesome and challenging full day hike for me. I was hiking this trail after a full day of rain and so parts of the trail were very muddy and parts were very slippery. Used trekking poles on the way up, but couldn't use them on the way down as it was just too slippery. Used my feet, knees, and butt to traverse some of the steepest parts of the open rocks. For me, coming down is more of a challenge as compared to hiking up. Boots with good non-skid outsoles are a must!
The views are nothing short of amazing on a clear or a partly cloudy day.

AWESOME hiking. Tough. Start early if you want to get all three in the winter. Need good foot traction so read the reports.

I

a very nice full day hike for us, we enjoyed the day

Excellent hike beautiful day