Hadley Mountain Trail

Hadley Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hadley, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Hadley Mountain has an open summit with good views to the east, south (including the Great Sacandaga Lake), and west, but it also has a restored fire tower which allows great views in all directions. The trail is never very steep and is in generally good condition. The area around Hadley mountain has had a history of forest fires. There were several in the early part of the twentieth century. The mountain is still slowly recovering. One thing you'll notice on this hike is the many patches of bare rock that begin early in the climb. This is due to the thin soils left by all the fires. The only trail begins from the trailhead parking area next to an Historic Marker and begins an immediate climb. The hiking register is reached within a couple of dozen yards of leaving the trailhead. A moderate climb following red trail markers leads through woodland on a mostly bedrock trail. Crossing back and forth over a small creek (dry in summer), the trail continues steeply past interesting boulders and cliffs to a level shoulder at about 1.0 mile. Following this brief gentle section the trail steepens and continues mostly on bedrock to the summit. The fire tower is open, but good views can be had without climbing it. The Great Sacandaga Lake is the body of water to the South.

Road to trailhead was not plowed, trailhead was icy but rest of trail was packed and didn’t need snowshoes. The first half of this hike is very steep, 2nd half was an easy incline. Views from fire tower are the best, but it’s pretty sketchy up there and it was locked. Nice hike, spikes needed.

Trailhead was super icy and slick. The rest of the trail had packed or melting snow which was easy to navigate. The views were terrific.

Road to and parking lot are plowed. Trail is nicely packed, fire tower is in good condition and the views were spectacular! Enjoy!

I snowshoed this last year after we got a huge snowstorm. The parking lot wasn’t plowed and when I got out of the truck the snow was almost to my knees. This was my very first fire tower and my first time snowshoeing up a mountain. The hike up seemed to never end. Once you reach the fire tower the wind was bizarre! I was amazed by how many surrounding towns you could see from it and there’s a nice little map in the tower to tell you. I would hike it again when there’s not so much snow.

View is absolutely amazing! The hike was very very hard! Takes about 2-3 hours to go up and 1to go down! I hiked half the mountain barefoot because my shoes gave me blisters! Definitely recommended hiking shoes! Absolutely worth it! Just hard so be prepared

I left parking lot and temp was -1... I purposely did not put too many layers on as I knew the type of climb that was coming...I was cold for first 1/2 mile then was plenty warm until I reached the summit. I highly recommend snowshoes. ..especially ones with spikes and/or metal teeth.
Light snow was falling so visibility wasn't great at top...it was -10 so I wasn't wanting to linger very long anyway.
it's a fairly strenuous hike so make sure you bring ample water, even in Winter.

My husband and I took our 5 year and 7 year old up. I also carried our 3 month old. It was longer (3.6) than expected and had icy rocks to be careful of. The firetower was closed at the top. Good hike overall. Will do again in warmer weather.

Pretty easy hike overall steady uphill go. I did this after it had rained and it was foogy so no views but it was nice to just be hiking in the adk. I will do again on a clear day . Another fire tower down

Excellent trail of average difficulty. It is a steady incline all the way to the summit, but should be manageable for most people. Some sections of the trail are over smooth granite which will be slick if wet. Fire tower at the summit provides excellent 360 degree views of Great Sacandaga Lake and Adirondack Park. Would not recommend making the climb on a cloudy day. The views are decent, but can only be truly appreciated on a clear day. Arrive early as the parking lot tends to fill quickly.

Great hike but harder than expected. It goes up up up with no switchbacks. View was awesome.

Amazing views at the top but it can get crowded fast.

this trail is quite steep but child and dog friendly. The only concern about the trail I had today was the lack of parking as there were so many people there today.

Great views & foliage today - fire tower was locked at the top unfortunately but could go to the landing.

Somewhat challenging and felt like it was almost entirely an incline ! But the views made it SO worth it !

Not too long of a hike but was definitely difficult in some areas due to the continuous steep incline. We made sure to take a few breaks. We arrived around 930am, parking area was full. It wasn't too highly trafficked until our descend. I would say the earlier the better to get started, however you may end up with cloudy/hazy views. Views are great from the firetower. Insects started to become a little bothersome at the summit. All in all, a nice hike.

Best hike yet! Definitely worth with uphill hike when you get to the beautiful views at the top. Plus the Seward is very nice, knowledgeable, and kind offering to take pictures and answer any questions. He made the experience unforgettable!

Great hike with a spectacular view from the top. I feel there should be markers along the way to let you know what distance you are along the trail.

Although parts of the trail up is steep, the views are so worth it!

Awesome view and tower, can check this one off the list!!

Andre the Steward was great. He was repairing the tower when my family and I arrived and was very knowledgible and courteous... even stopping his work to take a pic for us. I've hiked the trail many times throughout my life but this was the first time there was someone there to explain the area's rich history and surrounding terrain. Keep up the good work, Andre.

As for the trail, it was more challenging than I remembered ( I hadn't done it in almost 15 years). Good thing my wife and I had our 9 and 11-year-olds to push us along. Fun day, though. Great, 360-degree views from the top. Well worth the hike.

The view from top is amazing. I am not fit so this was a challenging hike for me. We were lucky enough to meet Andre, the steward. He was amazing and very knowledgeable. He was an added bonus to our hike. Great guy!!

This is definitely a hike to put on your to do list. Sunset would be amazing up there.

Solid hike -- great views from the tower!

Great hike (harder than I expected), beautiful views.

Short and steep trail. Starts right from the parking lot and goes up, up, up. Great views from the top- especially from the fire tower!

nice short hike for great views. my dog had a blast running up and down all the slabs of rock.

Great hike!! Seen all ranges of folks and being out if shape myself it starts hard and goes so for a while but the top is worth it and the you g Steward is amazing up there if you happen to meet him! Sure was a good workout!

Decent sized parking lot at trail head (room for maybe a dozen plus cars), but this trail gets really busy and when I left this Friday afternoon there were cars parked along the road as well. Porta potty at parking lot is new and clean. Bonus.
Trail wise, I'd say like 75 percent is bedrock. I wouldn't want any part of ascending or descending if it had rained recently at all.
The trail is long enough at 1.8 miles one way, and it is definitely steep. I'm in pretty good shape and I got winded and very sweaty on a 60 degree day! I loved the 360 degree views, but if I do this trail again, I'm going to take it slower going up. Coming down I was booking it pretty darn quick with no stops and it took me a legit hour to get to the bottom. Going up was probably an hour and 20ish plus. 1500 feet to ascend in 1.8 miles...this puppy is pretty steep.
Saw very few children, surprisingly...they can probably handle it if they are 8 years plus. More surprising was the number of retirees...some were really struggling and I felt bad for them.
Ranger at the top is a wicked nice dude and will take pics for you and answer any questions you have. He even invited me to check out the inside of the cabin he uses (he said he sleeps on the porch most nights with his yellow lab Lilly).
The 360 degree views from the fire tower are really, really great. Try and go on a sunny day, but be aware, the wind can really get going up there. The Ranger said it's windy up there most of the time actually. I had no issues with bugs...too windy at the top, that's for sure. They do have a Lyme Disease warning sign advising to put on bug repellant to repel ticks...I obliged. Why chance it?
I'm coming back this fall to see the fall foliage from the Fire Tower. Can't wait!