Hadley Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hadley, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hadley Mountain has an open summit with good views to the east, south (including the Great Sacandaga Lake), and west, but it also has a restored fire tower which allows great views in all directions. The trail is never very steep and is in generally good condition. The area around Hadley mountain has had a history of forest fires. There were several in the early part of the twentieth century. The mountain is still slowly recovering. One thing you'll notice on this hike is the many patches of bare rock that begin early in the climb. This is due to the thin soils left by all the fires. The only trail begins from the trailhead parking area next to an Historic Marker and begins an immediate climb. The hiking register is reached within a couple of dozen yards of leaving the trailhead. A moderate climb following red trail markers leads through woodland on a mostly bedrock trail. Crossing back and forth over a small creek (dry in summer), the trail continues steeply past interesting boulders and cliffs to a level shoulder at about 1.0 mile. Following this brief gentle section the trail steepens and continues mostly on bedrock to the summit. The fire tower is open, but good views can be had without climbing it. The Great Sacandaga Lake is the body of water to the South.

As other reviews state quite rocky and steep right from the get go. Ankle support and good tread this time of year is necessary. If you’ve hiked before it should be no problem. My husband had a hip replacement a yr ago and we made it up in an hour and 15.

Great hike! A lot of rock...I mean a lot. Would try to have a good pair of hiking boots, ankle support recommended, but it's up to you. Wind and cooler temps at the top, so I always bring an extra layer, (when hiking in the Fall, and early Spring). Don't let the elevation fool you. Good photo opportunities at the top. Good photo opportunities on the way up as well. Be safe and have a good hike! Don't forget to let someone know where you are!

A good 3-hour hike that leaves time to enjoy the day. Some pretty steep spots and good footwear is a must because there is a lot bare rock and wet leaves. The wind can really howl at the top too. Rewarding view - and a climb up the fire tower is an unexpected (and a little nerve-wracking) delight. Plan roughly 1:45 up, 20-30 minutes at the top, and 45 minutes down. Expect to see plenty of others enjoying the trail.

Hiked Hadley 10/19/18, great conditions, sunny day, slightly muddy so with the mud and leaves I suggest boots or shoes with good traction. Views were great, peak leaf season, a little past peak at the top. Good mix of pines and deciduous. Nice little hike that gets your blood pumping for sure. I’m in okay shape and it took me a little over an hour to reach the top. Fire tower was open. Views are spectacular. Enjoy!

First hike for wife and I. Great views. Was a little slippery because it rained a little throughout the trip. Good boots, good stick helped a lot. Was about 45 degrees but very comfortable until the top. Got some great photos. We left at 10am and we’re first ones up for the day but saw about 20 people while at top and on the way down.

This was my first mountain and it was awesome. We aren't physically fit folks so this was a good challenge for us. It took about 3hrs for us to reach the fire tower. Going up was an unrelenting climb. Glad I had a walking stick and good boots. No bugs which was great. We definitely needed to bring more water as we only brought sports bottles. We had an amazing view without going up in the fire tower (he went up, I stayed firmly planted on the rock). Going down was slightly easier. We ended up taking about 2hrs to get back down to the parking lot. You get a workout climbing over the rocks and such but totally worth the effort!!

The hike was great, I would say the rank of “moderate” is more on the high end of the scale. It is an incline the entire time on terrain including large loose rocks and slabs of slate. Beautiful landscape through out including birch trees, streams and moss. The foliage was almost peak when we went ( Columbus Day weekend). Appropriate hiking footwear is recommended due to the trail being muddy and unstable in spots- the balance and grip of hiking footwear works in your favor! It was foggy and misty when we got to the top, it was like we were up the clouds. In total it took us roughly 3 hours with frequent stops along the way up. Going down is much easier than going up! Tip: bring water and snacks for when you get to the top, you will thank yourself later!

Constant incline but not too steep, we were going at a casual pace so didn't get too winded. A little muddy in some places but view is gorgeous. Not quite peak fall colors yet but we got a tease of it at the summit. In maybe two weeks I imagine it'll be spectacular up here.

Solid incline to the summit. We are in reasonable shape and took our 3 yo pup. It was pretty wet for some mud conditions but it was still worth it. Fantastic view!

Perfectly lovely trail. Get there early for parking lots of people. Nice visit to the top. Went with a two year old German Shepherd and there was no problem at all. Fairly easy all the way.

Gets your blood pumping..great views..use walking sticks if you got them..takes about an hour up.

Fun hike with the family. Certainly a lot of exercise, constant uphill. Cool fire tower, pretty views at the summit. Felt great to have a rest and a snack at the top. But going back down was not fun, lol.

Great hike, great views. It was a little wet when we went. The black flies were insane,a couple shots of deet took care of that. Definitely recommend this hike

pleasant hike. the whole trail is an incline from head to the summit. think climbing stairs. i would not suggest doi g on a rainy day as there are large portions on granite slabs. great 360 views and a fire tower you can climb om the top.

Such a fun time! We hiked this mountain with our 4 kids. 3 hours roundtrip. Be prepared to climb!

Nothing more to add to recent reviews. For less crowds try a weekday or early weekend morning. The new porta potty is fancy! This would be an ideal sunset hike.

Steady uphill trek right from the trailhead over bedrock, large rocks, and hard-pack dirt. Somewhat sparsely marked by red trail discs, but the trail is very clearly defined. We believe the “moderate” rating is accurate due to the sustained uphill grade. Walking poles/sticks will come in very useful for those with knee/back issues. Saw lots of kids and dogs on the trail during our descent.

My two nieces, six year old beagle basset and I hiked this yesterday! it is moderate, because of the incline. The rocks make it feel like the hike burns and hurts more. We loved it though, awesome view from the top and awesome view from the tower! :)

Great hike, but very steep all the way up with lots of slippery rock surfaces. The dog did great. Bring shoes with good tread!

Tougher than I was expecting as it is a steady incline nearly the entire way. The view is absolutely worth the climb and the fire tower is incredible from the top. 2hrs roundtrip.

This was a difficult hike mostly up steep terrain. Coming down is slippery -bring walking sticks. I would call this more than moderate difficulty.

For sure one of the more difficult hikes we have been on. It was a challenging hike but very rewarding and beautiful at the summit. Prepare to get your heart rate up. Great for older kids...not for younger ones....and our King Charles loved the hike....recommend for all but bear in mind...this is no cake walk!

Hadley was a lot steeper than I was led to believe. The view at the top was worth it though! My Fitbit tracked it to be more than 4 miles, not the 3.4 listed above.

Awesome hike, Decent incline- Worth the views. check out the back side once at top, awesome views!

Steady incline for most of the hike with several areas being solid rock with no ground covering (which we referred to as sidewalk). Great views but quite busy!

I hiked this trail last weekend as the first stop (chosen at random) for the Firetower Challenge. Fairly straight forward, it was steeper than I expected at some points but I’m also pretty out of shape. Views were amazing up at the fire tower and the steward was friendly and helpful in answering everyone’s questions. Lots of dogs and kids on the trail that day, which was nice to see. I would definitely hike it again.

Love hiking Hadley in the fall. Awesome views!

Nice hike with a great 369 view. Trail was easy to follow but a steady slope starting right at the trail head and continuing to the top. Trail was dry throughout the climb today, buggy at times.

great hike, kind of steep, but not extreme. good hike to get warmed up early in the season for longer, more strenuous hikes.

Pretty straight forward hike. Harder than I thought. View at top was worth it.