Hadley Mountain Trail

Hadley Mountain Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hadley, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Hadley Mountain has an open summit with good views to the east, south (including the Great Sacandaga Lake), and west, but it also has a restored fire tower which allows great views in all directions. The trail is never very steep and is in generally good condition. The area around Hadley mountain has had a history of forest fires. There were several in the early part of the twentieth century. The mountain is still slowly recovering. One thing you'll notice on this hike is the many patches of bare rock that begin early in the climb. This is due to the thin soils left by all the fires. The only trail begins from the trailhead parking area next to an Historic Marker and begins an immediate climb. The hiking register is reached within a couple of dozen yards of leaving the trailhead. A moderate climb following red trail markers leads through woodland on a mostly bedrock trail. Crossing back and forth over a small creek (dry in summer), the trail continues steeply past interesting boulders and cliffs to a level shoulder at about 1.0 mile. Following this brief gentle section the trail steepens and continues mostly on bedrock to the summit. The fire tower is open, but good views can be had without climbing it. The Great Sacandaga Lake is the body of water to the South.

Much steeper than I thought but worth it at the top. It was my first fire tower. I believe it to be more hard than moderate, but I am starting to get back in shape again. The more I do I hope the easier they are.

It was a little more than moderate I feel. It was pretty steep most of the way!
Maybe we shouldn't have picked it as our first hike of the year and getting back into things! We did have to stop and rest more times than I'd like to admit on the way up. Took us 3.5 hours total time.

Great views at the top! What a reward!

Great short hike with an excellent view from the fire tower. Caught one of the best sunsets ever from the top.

I wish I'd had spikes for the descent, there's currently scattered spots of packed snow/ice at higher elevation which make for tricky footing, but it's truly a fun hike with a rewarding view.

Great hike, steep enough to break a sweat but not too much for young kids. Great firetower and views

Love This hike!! Looking forward to spring so I can tackle it again.

Nice hike for the time of year. Trail wasn't too bad. Might suggest using YakTrax or other gripping device though.

Nice beautiful clear day. Didn't need snowshoes but others out today had them. Took me about an hour to reach the fire tower. View from the peak was spectacular, great view of Great Sacandaga Lake and surrounding ADKs. Definitely worth the trip!

Was an icy walk up the rock for sure. spikes made a huge difference.. incredibly calm at top today.

I like it

I really like this hike for a lot of reasons. The view is beautiful, there is a fire tower, it is close to the capital district, it is quick (2.6 mile) and yet strenuous with moderate elevation gain. This is not strenuous for people who do the 46 and regular HIKERS, but for the average PERSON this would be considered strenuous. I typically start my year for mountains on this one and also end on this one because of how quick and close it is.

4 of us went up and back right after Christmas. The trial was packed snow and ice. We all had microspikes. Trial is well marked and and runs right up to top of the ridge and the across over to the fire tower and the old care taker cabin. About 2 hours up and an hour back counting lunch. Nice view of Lake Sacandaga and surrounding area up top.