Hadley Mountain Trail

Hadley Mountain Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hadley, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Hadley Mountain has an open summit with good views to the east, south (including the Great Sacandaga Lake), and west, but it also has a restored fire tower which allows great views in all directions. The trail is never very steep and is in generally good condition. The area around Hadley mountain has had a history of forest fires. There were several in the early part of the twentieth century. The mountain is still slowly recovering. One thing you'll notice on this hike is the many patches of bare rock that begin early in the climb. This is due to the thin soils left by all the fires. The only trail begins from the trailhead parking area next to an Historic Marker and begins an immediate climb. The hiking register is reached within a couple of dozen yards of leaving the trailhead. A moderate climb following red trail markers leads through woodland on a mostly bedrock trail. Crossing back and forth over a small creek (dry in summer), the trail continues steeply past interesting boulders and cliffs to a level shoulder at about 1.0 mile. Following this brief gentle section the trail steepens and continues mostly on bedrock to the summit. The fire tower is open, but good views can be had without climbing it. The Great Sacandaga Lake is the body of water to the South.

Great views & foliage today - fire tower was locked at the top unfortunately but could go to the landing.

Somewhat challenging and felt like it was almost entirely an incline ! But the views made it SO worth it !

Not too long of a hike but was definitely difficult in some areas due to the continuous steep incline. We made sure to take a few breaks. We arrived around 930am, parking area was full. It wasn't too highly trafficked until our descend. I would say the earlier the better to get started, however you may end up with cloudy/hazy views. Views are great from the firetower. Insects started to become a little bothersome at the summit. All in all, a nice hike.

Best hike yet! Definitely worth with uphill hike when you get to the beautiful views at the top. Plus the Seward is very nice, knowledgeable, and kind offering to take pictures and answer any questions. He made the experience unforgettable!

Great hike with a spectacular view from the top. I feel there should be markers along the way to let you know what distance you are along the trail.

Although parts of the trail up is steep, the views are so worth it!

Awesome view and tower, can check this one off the list!!

Andre the Steward was great. He was repairing the tower when my family and I arrived and was very knowledgible and courteous... even stopping his work to take a pic for us. I've hiked the trail many times throughout my life but this was the first time there was someone there to explain the area's rich history and surrounding terrain. Keep up the good work, Andre.

As for the trail, it was more challenging than I remembered ( I hadn't done it in almost 15 years). Good thing my wife and I had our 9 and 11-year-olds to push us along. Fun day, though. Great, 360-degree views from the top. Well worth the hike.

The view from top is amazing. I am not fit so this was a challenging hike for me. We were lucky enough to meet Andre, the steward. He was amazing and very knowledgeable. He was an added bonus to our hike. Great guy!!

This is definitely a hike to put on your to do list. Sunset would be amazing up there.