Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Hadley Mountain Trail

Hadley Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hadley, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hadley Mountain has an open summit with good views to the east, south (including the Great Sacandaga Lake), and west, but it also has a restored fire tower which allows great views in all directions. The trail is never very steep and is in generally good condition. The area around Hadley mountain has had a history of forest fires. There were several in the early part of the twentieth century. The mountain is still slowly recovering. One thing you'll notice on this hike is the many patches of bare rock that begin early in the climb. This is due to the thin soils left by all the fires. The only trail begins from the trailhead parking area next to an Historic Marker and begins an immediate climb. The hiking register is reached within a couple of dozen yards of leaving the trailhead. A moderate climb following red trail markers leads through woodland on a mostly bedrock trail. Crossing back and forth over a small creek (dry in summer), the trail continues steeply past interesting boulders and cliffs to a level shoulder at about 1.0 mile. Following this brief gentle section the trail steepens and continues mostly on bedrock to the summit. The fire tower is open, but good views can be had without climbing it. The Great Sacandaga Lake is the body of water to the South.

Too many flies. but view worth it

Challenging and steep in some places, billions of flying bugs that want to be in your ears and nostrils. They bite.

Fantastic trail, but OMG the Deer flies! They were swarming, made it very difficult to see. Definitely bring a net hood, bug spray has no effect on those. The nice thing is that they aren’t. on the firetower!

Pretty fun, moderate hike. A lot of rocks and mud so watch your step! Check out the map at the fire tower!

Very dog friendly trail, got someone like myself who is a little out of shape it was pretty steep the entire way up. It will definitely give you a good workout. I did this hike in 2.5 hours with about 30 minutes at the summit. I would recommend this for the amazing views at the top as well as the fire tower!

Well marked and really well maintained, even for early spring. I was expecting more mud...if actually wasn’t too bad. The fog was thick as pea soup, so there were no views to be had, but the hike was nice regardless. Definitely not for the faint of heart. My husband and I are not unfit, but have been more fit in the past. We were also lugging a 30 lb toddler in a backpack. We made it, but not without some breaks to sit a minute and switch the pack, and we are sore a few days later. But it was very doable for us. Took us 2.5 hrs up and down. The toddler’s weight slowed us down significantly haha. And we are not super regular hikers (especially coming into the spring time). I can’t imagine how nice it would be in the summer or fall with all the leaves changing color. We enjoyed it.

Very easy to follow and a good first mountain if you’re in experienced. As an experienced hiker it help no real difficulties and was over hiked and fairly vandalized however it is doable to hike up for sunset which is an amazing experience and there is a patch of rock sculptures at the top for any of those willing to bush wack for it.

recorded Recording - Apr 29, 03:57 PM

Great hike. A Monday in late April and I only saw a few other people on the trail. The view is beautiful and the hike is fun but steep.

Well maintained, good views from the top. We hiked in April, so it was a bit muddy. The trail parallels a series of streams or is actually in the stream at some points, so wear good waterproof hiking boots. At this time of year the streams are running strong from small ponds of leftover winter snow melt. I have hiked this trail in the summer and most of the streams are dried up.

Great trail, the rain put a lot of water on the trail but still wasn’t a bad hike. Great views from the summit and fire tower.

Beautiful trail! Super muddy and windy because of the season. But a fun and relaxing hike.

Completed this hike in January. The trail was packed down well enough so I only needed my microspikes. This is a beautiful winter hike

I love the view from the top, I've seen it in the early summer and in the mid fall. it is a steep climb, I suggest caution if you have problems with knees, back, or ankles, but worth it just take your time. to me its kid friendly if they are old enough and not clumsy lol. it's a must do if you can

quite the incline! it's a haul uphill, and the trail is mostly rock and stream, super muddy and some pretty treacherous spots that are snow and icy, making conditions super slick. but wow it's worth it!! our round trip was about 2.5 hrs we moved at a steady brisk pace. passed at least 10 parties coming back down on our way up, and I think probably 5 going up on our way down. surprised folks were still heading up on our descend at 6:30. great invigorating hike, and such a rewarding finish with the views at the top! we climbed the tower, incredible views, SO high up!!

4/4/19. Still packed, need spikes only for parts. Good hike with a great view. Lost a black north face glove if found would be greatly appreciated!

Extremely steep in spots but mostly levels out at the top. Please wear spikes!!! I slipped on my way down and I had them on... can’t imagine doing it without them! The top of the fire tower is sealed off but still good views.

When I got to the peak with the fire tower I got to whatch a couple of jets fly through the valley and it was awesome! I would recommend this trail to anyone who is somewhat active due to the incline at parts of this trail. It can get a bit windy up there but all in all a good moderate level hike definitely one a beginner can do.

3/25. Well packed. So only spikes needed. Quick hike. Beautiful views.

Incredible views.

Beautiful hike today up Hadley. Only needed crampons ...

Beautiful hike, it is a challenge (short hike, very steep in spots) but well worth it.

Hiked 3/1/19 Great winter hike but don’t let the distance fool you! Almost all uphill climb except for about 2-3 flat parts by its false summit Views were Amazing anywhere you looked from the top!

Hiked in 8/18/18. Id consider this hike pretty difficult. It kicked my 13 year old sons butt! Saw some neat mushrooms along the way but nothing overly spectacular, in comparison to some of the other memorable firetower trails. Great workout, but your eyes are on the ground the majority of the way because of the extremely rocky terrain. We had to stop mutiple times along the way because this hike works your legs!

Be prepared for icy trials. Overall great winter hike.

As other reviews state quite rocky and steep right from the get go. Ankle support and good tread this time of year is necessary. If you’ve hiked before it should be no problem. My husband had a hip replacement a yr ago and we made it up in an hour and 15.

Great hike! A lot of rock...I mean a lot. Would try to have a good pair of hiking boots, ankle support recommended, but it's up to you. Wind and cooler temps at the top, so I always bring an extra layer, (when hiking in the Fall, and early Spring). Don't let the elevation fool you. Good photo opportunities at the top. Good photo opportunities on the way up as well. Be safe and have a good hike! Don't forget to let someone know where you are!