Hadley Mountain Trail

Hadley Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hadley, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Hadley Mountain has an open summit with good views to the east, south (including the Great Sacandaga Lake), and west, but it also has a restored fire tower which allows great views in all directions. The trail is never very steep and is in generally good condition. The area around Hadley mountain has had a history of forest fires. There were several in the early part of the twentieth century. The mountain is still slowly recovering. One thing you'll notice on this hike is the many patches of bare rock that begin early in the climb. This is due to the thin soils left by all the fires. The only trail begins from the trailhead parking area next to an Historic Marker and begins an immediate climb. The hiking register is reached within a couple of dozen yards of leaving the trailhead. A moderate climb following red trail markers leads through woodland on a mostly bedrock trail. Crossing back and forth over a small creek (dry in summer), the trail continues steeply past interesting boulders and cliffs to a level shoulder at about 1.0 mile. Following this brief gentle section the trail steepens and continues mostly on bedrock to the summit. The fire tower is open, but good views can be had without climbing it. The Great Sacandaga Lake is the body of water to the South.

I'm pretty fit and active and I found this mountain a challenge. pretty steep the whole way up with little relief but the views make up for it. didn't stay at the top for very long as the flies were killer!

Took my sister up for her first hike ever. Incredible views! Trail was well marked and easy to follow. Black flies up top we’re insane though!

another great little hike.. great views at the top.. with a bonus Fire Tower.. up and down in an hour and 45 minutes.. there are some steep sections though.. would definitely recommend this hike.. to anybody in good condition

A good workout for a nice day

Loved the trail. Beautiful view on the top. It was a little steeper than expected

I would definitely recommend this hike to anyone who's physically active. I, however, just had a child, and was not prepared for how steep the trail was. all in all, it was a beautiful hike, the trek back down was a little unnerving though due to the steepness.

This 50 something just started hiking a couple months ago and it was a little ambitious for my 5th or 6th hike.

The wet bare rock was slipery so it took me a little more time than it should have because I was being very careful.

Unfortunately there was heavy fog so the effort to the top didn't reward me with the beautiful views.

Much steeper than I expected, it was very beautiful even though it was extremely cloudy that day. Hike down was easier than I thought.
The tower was ok very narrow. Not great for my fear of hights

A family favorite! Nice incline and you're up in one hour! The fire tower is a bonus as is the annual summer steward. Last year's steward was ah-mazingly friendly and always offering to take group photos. He also gave us a tour of his "home" at the top - that was a first. The group that maintains Hadley Mountain is second to none. It is always pristine. Parking lot is typically full but lots of parking on the road, always available.

This hike was tougher than we anticipated for 5 relatively fit adults and kids and a small dog. Markers would have been useful. Amazing views from the top of the mountain and always people willing and able to take pics. Overall a good hike but make sure you have good hiking boots and plenty of water! The way down needs quite a bit of concentration as the terrain is rough, slippery and steep..

We hiked Hadley yesterday (May 12th) Although, it was a bit chilly, it was a perfect hike. The trail is well marked and clean. There was no snow or ice and almost completely dry. It would be a good hike to do with kids... not very difficult at all. It took about an hour or so up and about 45 min down. Beautiful view. The fire tower was closed, but you can still climb it.

The quality of the view totally outweighs the climb up! Consistent, but no rough sections. We should have to work harder for a view like that! Climbed the Firetower on a windy day for a memorable experience!

Great 2 hour hike, lots of fun. Good views at the top with an accessible fire tower. Slippery in some area because of recent rain fall but, otherwise, a lot of fun.

Hiked on 5/2/2018 in beautiful weather low 80’s. Trail was pretty groomed and very rocky in some spots. Once at the summit the views were amazing. Windy as all hell but still went to the top of the fire tower. 3 hours round trip!

Just did this, great views little mud no ice or snow nice hike

Hiked Sunday 4/22, trail definitely needs some love but decent hike. Still a bit of snow in places but more than do-able.

Great hike. But when we got to top it was freezing raining out and cloudy. We couldn't see anything.

Road to trailhead was not plowed, trailhead was icy but rest of trail was packed and didn’t need snowshoes. The first half of this hike is very steep, 2nd half was an easy incline. Views from fire tower are the best, but it’s pretty sketchy up there and it was locked. Nice hike, spikes needed.

Trailhead was super icy and slick. The rest of the trail had packed or melting snow which was easy to navigate. The views were terrific.

Road to and parking lot are plowed. Trail is nicely packed, fire tower is in good condition and the views were spectacular! Enjoy!

I snowshoed this last year after we got a huge snowstorm. The parking lot wasn’t plowed and when I got out of the truck the snow was almost to my knees. This was my very first fire tower and my first time snowshoeing up a mountain. The hike up seemed to never end. Once you reach the fire tower the wind was bizarre! I was amazed by how many surrounding towns you could see from it and there’s a nice little map in the tower to tell you. I would hike it again when there’s not so much snow.

View is absolutely amazing! The hike was very very hard! Takes about 2-3 hours to go up and 1to go down! I hiked half the mountain barefoot because my shoes gave me blisters! Definitely recommended hiking shoes! Absolutely worth it! Just hard so be prepared

I left parking lot and temp was -1... I purposely did not put too many layers on as I knew the type of climb that was coming...I was cold for first 1/2 mile then was plenty warm until I reached the summit. I highly recommend snowshoes. ..especially ones with spikes and/or metal teeth.
Light snow was falling so visibility wasn't great at top...it was -10 so I wasn't wanting to linger very long anyway.
it's a fairly strenuous hike so make sure you bring ample water, even in Winter.

My husband and I took our 5 year and 7 year old up. I also carried our 3 month old. It was longer (3.6) than expected and had icy rocks to be careful of. The firetower was closed at the top. Good hike overall. Will do again in warmer weather.

Pretty easy hike overall steady uphill go. I did this after it had rained and it was foogy so no views but it was nice to just be hiking in the adk. I will do again on a clear day . Another fire tower down

Excellent trail of average difficulty. It is a steady incline all the way to the summit, but should be manageable for most people. Some sections of the trail are over smooth granite which will be slick if wet. Fire tower at the summit provides excellent 360 degree views of Great Sacandaga Lake and Adirondack Park. Would not recommend making the climb on a cloudy day. The views are decent, but can only be truly appreciated on a clear day. Arrive early as the parking lot tends to fill quickly.

Great hike but harder than expected. It goes up up up with no switchbacks. View was awesome.

Amazing views at the top but it can get crowded fast.

this trail is quite steep but child and dog friendly. The only concern about the trail I had today was the lack of parking as there were so many people there today.

Great views & foliage today - fire tower was locked at the top unfortunately but could go to the landing.