Hackensack Mountain Loop

Hackensack Mountain Loop is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Warrensburg, New York that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Started at prospect st parking lot and went up orange summit trail. Pretty steep in some sections but it only took about 22 minutes to get up. Then went over the top and followed the orange trail until the purple trail. If you keep following orange you end up on Hackensack st. Great quick hike for me and my dog. 55 minutes for the whole thing.

Great views from the top with various lookout points on the east side and at summit. Problem here is the trail branches off in multiple directions and more than once and at those branches, their is literally no direction as to where that branch is going to take you. I advise you use your GPS or download the AllTrails app and use that to help guide you to reaching the summit otherwise you could easily get lost and get going in circles. The pond was more like a swamp; total letdown. East side climb (trail on the left side of the Prospect St. trailhead parking lot) is STEEP! If you want a really easy climb, take the trail to the right (where the big rocks are) of the Prospect St. parking lot and walk around the backside of the mountain to the west side and then climb. Short but steep (totally doable) climb from there to top.
The trail that starts on the right of parking lot is super, super wide and has four wheeler tracks everywhere; not a typical ADK mountain trail...and it would be quite good for trail running.
Finally, throw some serious deet on for this hike; I skipped it, like a moron and so far have pulled 5, yes 5, ticks off of me, all around my head and neck. So yeah, there's that. I'll try and post a pic of one of the ticks so you know I'll telling the truth. I started pulling them off at the summit; first sign of them there.

My wife and I started from Hackensack Rd and went over the summit. We took the trail down to the Prospect Rd access and that part of the trail was the best part. If we do it again, we will to it the opposite direction so we can experience the accent from the Prospect Rd entrance. It is much steeper and more challenging on that side.

Great hike to take your dog on, make sure you watch the trail markers though its easy to make a wrong turn. The pond is a great stop.

Sunday, August 30, 2015