Great Range Loop Trail

Great Range Loop Trail is a 16.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

A challenging ADK hike starting from Huberts Parking area to the West River trail to Lower Wolf Jaw, Upper Wolf Jaw, Armstrong, Gothics and Pyramid. Returning via the Wedge Brook trail. This is a challenging hike that starts out at the Huberts Parking area and then follows the West Brook trail to Wedge Brook Trail up through some beautiful woods to Lower Wolf Jaw (ADK High Peak @ 4175'). The views from LWJ are very limited during leaf on conditions. From Lower Wolf Jaw you will head over and average terrain trail including an intermediate peak to Upper Wold Jaw (ADK High Peak @ 4185'). The summit of UWJ includes a small outcrop that offers some nice views. The trail from Upper Wolf Jaw to Armstrong (ADK HIgh Peak @ 4400') can be a little challenging and includes a few rock scrammbles as well as a very fun ladder. The view from Armstrong is excellent. Armstrong to Gothics is fairly easy and the view upon arrival is fantastic. Gothics to Pyramid (not an ADK High Peak - 4515') may look daunting while standing on the summit of Gothics but it is worth the effort to get over to it as the views are the best out of any of the four you just summited. As you crest over Pyramid you can choose to go on to Sawteeth or you can descend on the trail to Rainbow Falls Trail which will take you to the falls along your way. This is an all day hike of approximately 15 miles with significant gain and it is very challenging. Cell service is very limited in the ADK's as well as water sources so you should be prepared with a properly packed daypack, a map and a compass (and know how to use them) and always sign in at the trailhead and let someone know where you are going. It is never recommended to hike alone. Beware that no dogs are allowed and this restriction is strictly enforced. The parking is across the highway from the Roaring Brook access to Giant Mt. and is at the southerly of the two junctions of Rt. 73 and Ausable Rd. (not "Ausable Club Rd.") On a busy weekend, you will likely have to park on the highway. From the parking area, walk 1/2-mile up the road past a golf course. Just before reaching he large clubhouse, turn left and down between two tennis courts to the gate house and trail register.

sawteeth pyramid gothics and armstrong loop. awesome. left parking lot at 830am and back to parking lot at 6pm. forgot to turn off recorder when back at parking

Great hike, even in the rain. We started at St Hubert’s and followed Lake Road out to Pyramid. We summitted Pyramid, Gothics, and Armstrong in the rain and wind. Even though we missed out on the views this time, it still felt like a great accomplishment. The weather broke around noon, so we had sunshine on Upper Wolfjaw and Lower Wolfjaw. We took our time and were cautious in the rain and wind, so it took us about 12 hours. Excited to hike this loop again in better weather.

Didnt hit the entire range this trip but did create a lolly pop loop with Saddle Back and Basin. Started early at the Garden trailhead, hiked along Johns Brook and then cached my gear at a campsite just past JBL on the right. The hike along JB is a peaceful easy climb, about a 1000ft in 3 miles. Good warm up for the steeps ahead. After lightening the load, headed upstream about a mile then turned left at Bushnells Falls. This is where the pitch starts to steepen a bit. Steady climb to Slant Rock then another left toward Haystack and Basin. Some cool views of Marcy and Haystack along this section. Turning left again at a trail split is the final ascent up Basin. Some ladders and super steep sections then summit. The climbing is hard although its worth it! The views from Basin are some of the best. Haystack, Marcy, and Skylight are front and center. Johns Brook Valley sits below and the rest of the Great Range is laid out like dominos to the right. Its breathtaking and at the same time daunting, glimpsing the rugged path ahead to Saddleback. Its another mile to Saddleback, culminating at the infamous Saddleback cliffs to summit. Steep, exposed, and definitely anxiety provoking. The sights from Saddleback are great as is the view of Gothics sheer face as you make the descent to the Orebed Trail split. After summitting 2 peaks, i pointed toward base camp. Orebed trail follows the path of a newer slide which allows some nice views of the valley and Big Slide in the distance. I crashed at camp for the night, then hiked out in the morning. Long and challenging but an awesome hike.

My daughter and I hiked the loop July 16th, left parking lot at 8:45am & returned to car at 8:45pm as planned with just enough daylight. We traveled up the lake road abd cut right to cross river at the canyon bridge (sweet crossing) then on and crossing 2nd bridge by the waterfall (another sweet spot and worth the detour) whenever I can avoid the lake road and walk in the forest I take it. Traveled up to the split and to the right up to lwj, then back down and to the right to and up uwj (slightly better view than lwj) theses 2 you just have to do to check them off the 46er list then down and across and up to Armstrong(some fun climbing and scrambling, gives one the inspiration to try rock climbing) and @ the top some sweet 180 views, then down across and up Gothics sweet view then on to Pyramid which I just don't understand isn't a 46er although it's the highest peak on the loop, nice drop offs and views, have to say the weather was clear, sunny, warm and a but humid in the trees, but a cooling mild breeze to dry up the sweat. Down Pyramid (I hate having to go fown, cause you know it's going to cost you on the next accent up to Swateeth. We then back tracked down the Cascade Brook to Rainbow Falls, then onto the dreaded never ending lake road and down to the parking lot. Although there are a good number of wet, muddy areas nothing so great that can't be out maneuvered if. not jumped over and considering all the rain we've been getting it was drier than I had expected. The week before we did Dix and that was mud city. The views of the lake from atop the peaks was fabulous. It was a long hike for the day, plus we stopped often at the tops for photos and conversation with a few of the other hikers, given a summer weekend for the most part we felt almost alone in the wilderness so quite peaceful you just feel the awesomeness of God's creation. I wouldn't consider the loop as difficult but we did break a sweat, so challengingly moderate simply because of the total distance.

muddy but totally worth the hike. View is awesome on Gothic and Armstrong. But so so for upper and lower Woftjaw. Totally doable for a day hike

Not a bad hike at all. Climbed the 5 on a mildly warm and sunny day. Didn't start until 8 am- a late start for me. As some people had mentioned, the 3 miles out to the base of Sawteeth/Gothics can be a bit tedious. Sawteeth offers a good view of Pyramid, Gothics, and the upper Great Range (basin, haystack, etc). Pyramid is where most of your elevation gain on the range seemed to be acquired going up. Gothics has an amazing view in all directions and is the highlight of the 5. Armstrong has a small lookout. Upper WJ has a small balcony facing east towards Giant and Noonmark. Lower WJ with little to no view has a wooded summit.

Wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. Maybe having just recently finished the Sewards, Santanoni's, and Marshall- I was a bit spoiled with a comfortably wide and (relatively) dry traverse. Took a little over 9 hours (including summit time) from St. Huberts back to St. Huberts parking lot. I would definitely do the traverse again- minus Lower WJ.

Crazy long hike. My favorite peaks for the hiking were Sawteeth and Lower Wolf's Jaw. Views were wonderful through much of it. Walk back on the road was really long.

Toughest trail I've ever taken. I run about 30 miles a week and go to the gym regularly so I'm not out of shape and this trail kicked my butt. The up and down that this trail presented was the hardest part and there was some very minor rock climbing to do on this trail. I started at 7:45am and didnt end until 6:00pm. Granted I also climbed Saddleback and Basin. I talked to some 46ers on the trail and they all agreed that this was one of the hardest trails that the ADKs have to offer. Views are worth every second of hiking! This is one trail everyone should try in their spare time.

We camped a few hundred feet away from the park, on the reserve, got woken up and ticketed for trespassing, despite the late start we repeated our 3.5 mile walk down boring road and started up sawteeth. Then pyramid, gothics, Armstrong, and upper wolf jaw. Would have run out of daylight on top of lower wolf jaw, so we headed back down. Bring at least 4 liters of water and plenty of food. And make sure to camp on state land not private reserve land, bill o'Connor the mall cop in the woods is a real nozzle.

Me and my friend did Sawteeth, Gothics, and Armstrong yesterday and instead of getting the Wolfjaws decided to head down the Beaver Meadow Falls trail and save them for another day.

Trail was very fun. Challenging at points but nothing you can't handle. Definitely muddy though but that's what I get for going the day after a torrential downpour.

This was my second hiking this trail except this time I didn't do the whole loop we just hiked Sawteeth, Pyramid Peak, and Gothics. Very nice hike with outstanding views. The trail was very muddy in sections along with wet rock. Overall it was an excellent hike.

Great sporty trail with nice views.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

The best on the east coast : )

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

This was an amazing and difficult day hike. It took my brother, sister-in-law and I around 12.5 hours to complete. Walking the road by the golf course was not very interesting but it was a nice warm up at 7:45 AM. Hitting Lower Wolf Jaw, we took lunch, then it was off to Upper Wolf Jaw and Armstrong before another break. From Armstrong we hit Gothics and Pyramid, then we took the trail from the junction to the summit of Sawteeth. On our way down we stopped at Rainbow Falls to admire the cascading waterfall from both above, and below. By the time we got back to the road it was 8:10 and night was quickly approaching. Definitely a highly recommended day hike for those who are up for it. The best recommendation I could provide is bring plenty of food and water, and START EARLY!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

This was a real demanding trail. The walk down Lake Rd wasn't too interesting, but you'll see a nice view of Nippetop. I ended up hiking Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong, and the Wolf Jaws. This hike ended up being 17.2 miles as one big loop. The views from Gothics were nice. There were people out on the trails today. The day was a nice day to hike. If you decide to try this loop and hiking 5 of the high peaks plus Pyramid Peak bring plenty of water and be prepared for a long day of hiking.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Absolutely insanely difficult trail. Knee breaking scrambles seem endless and some "controlled" slides necessary around gothics and saddleback. Provides amazing views of the peaks and surrounding lakes. A must do hike for experienced hikers. Pack at least 5 liters of water.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Very hard trail. Walked Lake road to the end to lake. Went up Sawteeth Scenic Way, gorgeous views but hardest part of 21 mile hike. After Sawteeth, went to Pyramid, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper Wolf Jaw. Camped by the creek just .5 miles down hill of some cross paths. Completed Lower Wolf Jaw in morning. Long two days but worth it. Pack Ibuprofin.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

did june 2015. went in through the AMR. LONG dirt road. to and check out rainbow falls. amazing. after hiking pyramid. gothics. sawteeth. used beaver meadow falls to relax. long hike. long day. great memories.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

So beautiful!

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Sawteeth, Pyramid and Gothics only. Completing the five lower great range in winter as a day hike may be extremely challenging, if not impossible. Would recommend waiting for summer to hit all five when you can travel quicker and lighter. This was definitely a tough hike in the snow. Breaking trial from Pyramid to Gothic was quite a chore but the views are worth every sweat and bruise. Also if you hike in the winter, be prepare for extreme cold and bring backup clothing. Your water will freeze, but great news, plenty of fresh ice to quench your thirst.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Awesome view once the cloud lifted.

Friday, November 13, 2015

The views from Gothics (including pyramid) are probably the most impressive and awe inspiring in Adirondacks. They are borderline uncomfortable because they are so immense. I would definitely repeat, even though the rest of this part of the range was not much for views. It began to rain as we began our descent, so getting down was slightly terrifying because Holy Steep. I was very happy there was a cable.

Friday, August 07, 2015

We did Upper Wolf Jaw and Armstrong and they were very difficult and challenging. Make sure you are in great shape if you tackle these. We used the WedgeBrook Trail to go up and came down the Gothics Trail. The conditions were very wet and we were not prepared for the long, arduous soggy conditions. It took a toll on our feet.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

This is a long day hike. Bring plenty of water. When I did it, there was very little mud. The views from Pyramid and Gothics were amazing. The Ausable Club and Lake Rd are very nice but some of the people are rude. The parking area is at the end of the gravel road right off route 73.

Friday, July 10, 2015

Very steep at ore bed brook. Cable is a fun addition.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

For a 23 year old who hasn't hiked in 10 years and doesn't regularly exercise- I found this exhausting but more than worth it. A fun challenge.

Saturday, January 03, 2015

We reached the summit of Rooster Comb, Hedgehog, Lower Wolf Jaw, Upper Wolf Jaw, Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback, and came within 100 ft of the top of Basin. We missed out on Little Haystack, Haystack, and Marcy because Basin was impassable. We spent 4 days doing the hike which most people don't bring full packs, but it was amazing!

Monday, November 17, 2014

My fiancé and I completed this hike bit added on Sawteeth for a total of 17.5 miles, which took us 13 hours with the ice and snow at the higher altitudes. We started at St. Hubert's parking area at 5:30am in the dark and took lake road to rainbow falls and hiked up to sawteeth first, then pyramid, gothics, armstrong, upper wolf jaw and lower wolf jaw, that's 6 mountains, 5 of which are 46ers. It was one of the most beautiful hikes we've completed due to perfectly clear weather conditions. We wore microspikes at the lower elevation and switchef over to crampons at the higher altitude. The last hour and a half were spent in the dark but we were off the steep section. Just an FYI if you do the same trail when toy get to lower wolf jaw do NOT continue on, just go back the .5 to where it originally split. I talked to numerous hikers that said the 2 sections of .3 that run parallel are vastly different in terrain. The eastern trail is much rougher I'm told (the side that goes up to lower wolwolf jaw). All in all one of my favorite hikes !

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Gothics is one of the most imposing 'daks to look at, and the final 200ft of scrambling don't let you down.