Great Range Loop Trail

Great Range Loop Trail is a 16.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

A challenging ADK hike starting from Huberts Parking area to the West River trail to Lower Wolf Jaw, Upper Wolf Jaw, Armstrong, Gothics and Pyramid. Returning via the Wedge Brook trail. This is a challenging hike that starts out at the Huberts Parking area and then follows the West Brook trail to Wedge Brook Trail up through some beautiful woods to Lower Wolf Jaw (ADK High Peak @ 4175'). The views from LWJ are very limited during leaf on conditions. From Lower Wolf Jaw you will head over and average terrain trail including an intermediate peak to Upper Wold Jaw (ADK High Peak @ 4185'). The summit of UWJ includes a small outcrop that offers some nice views. The trail from Upper Wolf Jaw to Armstrong (ADK HIgh Peak @ 4400') can be a little challenging and includes a few rock scrammbles as well as a very fun ladder. The view from Armstrong is excellent. Armstrong to Gothics is fairly easy and the view upon arrival is fantastic. Gothics to Pyramid (not an ADK High Peak - 4515') may look daunting while standing on the summit of Gothics but it is worth the effort to get over to it as the views are the best out of any of the four you just summited. As you crest over Pyramid you can choose to go on to Sawteeth or you can descend on the trail to Rainbow Falls Trail which will take you to the falls along your way. This is an all day hike of approximately 15 miles with significant gain and it is very challenging. Cell service is very limited in the ADK's as well as water sources so you should be prepared with a properly packed daypack, a map and a compass (and know how to use them) and always sign in at the trailhead and let someone know where you are going. It is never recommended to hike alone.

muddy but totally worth the hike. View is awesome on Gothic and Armstrong. But so so for upper and lower Woftjaw. Totally doable for a day hike

Not a bad hike at all. Climbed the 5 on a mildly warm and sunny day. Didn't start until 8 am- a late start for me. As some people had mentioned, the 3 miles out to the base of Sawteeth/Gothics can be a bit tedious. Sawteeth offers a good view of Pyramid, Gothics, and the upper Great Range (basin, haystack, etc). Pyramid is where most of your elevation gain on the range seemed to be acquired going up. Gothics has an amazing view in all directions and is the highlight of the 5. Armstrong has a small lookout. Upper WJ has a small balcony facing east towards Giant and Noonmark. Lower WJ just sucks. Little to no view and what feels to be an almost unnecessary amount of elevation gain and loss.

Wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. Maybe having just recently finished the Sewards, Santanoni's, and Marshall- I was a bit spoiled with a comfortably wide and (relatively) dry traverse. Took a little over 9 hours (including summit time) from St. Huberts back to St. Huberts parking lot. I would definitely do the traverse again- minus Lower WJ.

Crazy long hike. My favorite peaks for the hiking were Sawteeth and Lower Wolf's Jaw. Views were wonderful through much of it. Walk back on the road was really long.

Toughest trail I've ever taken. I run about 30 miles a week and go to the gym regularly so I'm not out of shape and this trail kicked my butt. The up and down that this trail presented was the hardest part and there was some very minor rock climbing to do on this trail. I started at 7:45am and didnt end until 6:00pm. Granted I also climbed Saddleback and Basin. I talked to some 46ers on the trail and they all agreed that this was one of the hardest trails that the ADKs have to offer. Views are worth every second of hiking! This is one trail everyone should try in their spare time.

We camped a few hundred feet away from the park, on the reserve, got woken up and ticketed for trespassing, despite the late start we repeated our 3.5 mile walk down boring road and started up sawteeth. Then pyramid, gothics, Armstrong, and upper wolf jaw. Would have run out of daylight on top of lower wolf jaw, so we headed back down. Bring at least 4 liters of water and plenty of food. And make sure to camp on state land not private reserve land, bill o'Connor the mall cop in the woods is a real nozzle.

Me and my friend did Sawteeth, Gothics, and Armstrong yesterday and instead of getting the Wolfjaws decided to head down the Beaver Meadow Falls trail and save them for another day.

Trail was very fun. Challenging at points but nothing you can't handle. Definitely muddy though but that's what I get for going the day after a torrential downpour.

This was my second hiking this trail except this time I didn't do the whole loop we just hiked Sawteeth, Pyramid Peak, and Gothics. Very nice hike with outstanding views. The trail was very muddy in sections along with wet rock. Overall it was an excellent hike.

Great sporty trail with nice views.

The best on the east coast : )

This was an amazing and difficult day hike. It took my brother, sister-in-law and I around 12.5 hours to complete. Walking the road by the golf course was not very interesting but it was a nice warm up at 7:45 AM. Hitting Lower Wolf Jaw, we took lunch, then it was off to Upper Wolf Jaw and Armstrong before another break. From Armstrong we hit Gothics and Pyramid, then we took the trail from the junction to the summit of Sawteeth. On our way down we stopped at Rainbow Falls to admire the cascading waterfall from both above, and below. By the time we got back to the road it was 8:10 and night was quickly approaching. Definitely a highly recommended day hike for those who are up for it. The best recommendation I could provide is bring plenty of food and water, and START EARLY!

This was a real demanding trail. The walk down Lake Rd wasn't too interesting, but you'll see a nice view of Nippetop. I ended up hiking Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong, and the Wolf Jaws. This hike ended up being 17.2 miles as one big loop. The views from Gothics were nice. There were people out on the trails today. The day was a nice day to hike. If you decide to try this loop and hiking 5 of the high peaks plus Pyramid Peak bring plenty of water and be prepared for a long day of hiking.

Absolutely insanely difficult trail. Knee breaking scrambles seem endless and some "controlled" slides necessary around gothics and saddleback. Provides amazing views of the peaks and surrounding lakes. A must do hike for experienced hikers. Pack at least 5 liters of water.