Great Dune Trails Loop

Great Dune Trails Loop is a 5.3 mile loop trail located near Guilderland, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 209 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice trail. Not my favorite of the Pine Bush trails, but worth a visit.

This is a nice trail, but as others have said, it’s no longer a loop. However, it’s still a beautiful place to be even though you have to re-trace your steps.

This map does not reflect the trail route! There is no loop! You have to come back the way you came in on the purple trail. There is one part of the trail I don’t recommend on horseback. It is the section after you cross Siver Rd. Steep decline and incline with stairs! If you are on horseback I recommend turning around at Siver Rd.

Great trail overall, especially for beginners. it is relatively flat the entire way. No mud on my hike today (mid May). The trail shown is not accurate. The purple trail is a total of 3.7 miles one way. I clocked about 9 miles in 2.5 hours after doing purple, blue, and white trails. My only complaint would be the horse excrement on some parts of the trail. I would expect that if you do this trail and your horse has to go, you would clean it up as a courtesy to others.

3/1/2019

Sun Aug 20 2017

I love this trail! I love the sand! So many wonderful birds & butterflies!!!

Mon Jul 31 2017

The map shown is not the trail route. The trail has been rerouted and it goes off onto Old State Rd and Siver Rd. It's called the purple trail. Nice trail. We turned around after coming to Siver rd. Did not see a loop back option to where we started so we walked back the way we came. Posted a picture of how it routed us.

Sat Jul 29 2017

The map doesn't match the trail.

Mon Jul 24 2017

Took my (2) sons out on part of this trail before my youngest complained of cramping, we did 5.25 miles in total and had an amazing time. This was our second time back. Love these trails.

Fri Mar 10 2017

3/7/17 this trail and several others in the pine bush are closed, check the website before making a trip out there.

Thu Aug 25 2016

I have ridden on these trails for 40 years and they keep getting better and better! Sandy trails make for wonderful footing even after heavy rains. Trails are managed now by the Albany Pine Bush Preserve and they do a great job of opening new trails and keeping the old ones clear and well marked. Bridges over wet areas are all horse safe. Well worth a visit. Happy trails.

recorded Great Dune Trails Loop