Learn more

Great Dune Trails Loop is a 5.4 mile loop trail located near Guilderland, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 226 feet Route Type: Loop

Easy sand trail, free of bugs at the moment. The place where the recording takes a different route than the planned path shows where one of the segments of trail was closed.

One the best hikes I’ve been on in a while beautiful scenery and not too challenging had to reroute because of closed trail but other than that the trail is in great condition

Nice path, some contrived bits. No mud to speak of, majority bone dry. Great Albany in town trail, even with road noise.

It was a great trail. Beware of the oodles of ticks for your furry pals though.

Nice trail and pretty easy to follow! Well maintained.

It was a moderate hike with 10 year old daughter. Just a long one. The trail was less hiked and hence it was almost a solitary hike. trails were well marked. We got to see a carcass of deer in the trail which was interesting.

Not the most exciting trails but close to the capital District and you could easily make 10-15 miles out of connecting them all together.

A warm winter day means no skiing so we hike the great dune. Nice enough for warm winter conditions. Some dry pine needle areas and some icy slopes. Bring poles and water proof boots. Ice spikes are needed if it refreezes.

The Great Dunes trail is still a loop trail (red, blue and yellow). It can be accessed by Madison Ave. Extension or. Willow Street. It shares the Madison Ave. Extension with the Madison Ave. Pinelands Trail (aka purple trail). Great Dunes was a pleasant, quiet walk, even with a few inches of snow still in the trail in spots.

Nice trail. Not my favorite of the Pine Bush trails, but worth a visit.

Sun Jul 07 2019

This is a nice trail, but as others have said, it’s no longer a loop. However, it’s still a beautiful place to be even though you have to re-trace your steps.

Fri Jun 07 2019

This map does not reflect the trail route! There is no loop! You have to come back the way you came in on the purple trail. There is one part of the trail I don’t recommend on horseback. It is the section after you cross Siver Rd. Steep decline and incline with stairs! If you are on horseback I recommend turning around at Siver Rd.

Wed May 22 2019

Great trail overall, especially for beginners. it is relatively flat the entire way. No mud on my hike today (mid May). The trail shown is not accurate. The purple trail is a total of 3.7 miles one way. I clocked about 9 miles in 2.5 hours after doing purple, blue, and white trails. My only complaint would be the horse excrement on some parts of the trail. I would expect that if you do this trail and your horse has to go, you would clean it up as a courtesy to others.

Sat Mar 02 2019

3/1/2019

Sun Aug 20 2017

I love this trail! I love the sand! So many wonderful birds & butterflies!!!

Mon Jul 31 2017

The map shown is not the trail route. The trail has been rerouted and it goes off onto Old State Rd and Siver Rd. It's called the purple trail. Nice trail. We turned around after coming to Siver rd. Did not see a loop back option to where we started so we walked back the way we came. Posted a picture of how it routed us.

Sat Jul 29 2017

The map doesn't match the trail.

Mon Jul 24 2017

Took my (2) sons out on part of this trail before my youngest complained of cramping, we did 5.25 miles in total and had an amazing time. This was our second time back. Love these trails.

Fri Mar 10 2017

3/7/17 this trail and several others in the pine bush are closed, check the website before making a trip out there.

Thu Aug 25 2016

I have ridden on these trails for 40 years and they keep getting better and better! Sandy trails make for wonderful footing even after heavy rains. Trails are managed now by the Albany Pine Bush Preserve and they do a great job of opening new trails and keeping the old ones clear and well marked. Bridges over wet areas are all horse safe. Well worth a visit. Happy trails.