Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Grass Lake Overlook, North Ridge, and Sugar Shack Trails Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(23)
Indian River Lakes Conservancy

Grass Lake Overlook, North Ridge, and Sugar Shack Trails Loop is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Redwood, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 288 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Big rocks. Old sugar shack remains. Trail is narrow in places. Lots of terrain changes and views. Last bit of the loop is on the road to get back to the parking lot.

Great, well maintained trails!

It was wonderful. Loved the view at the bench on top of the hill it was so amazing. I love hiking to see views like that. Other then that me and my friend ran into a Porcupine. Been on the lookout for wild animals since.

Great trail! Even in the rain. Grass lake is lovely!

recorded Recording - Oct 11, 2:54 PM

Lovely trail but please remember that dogs are to be kept on leash!! Not sure why some people feel above this rule for these trails? It’s safer for your dog, my family to include my dogs, the wildlife and ecosystem in general.

I hiked this yesterday- a very good trail! From the parking lot I headed north and the trail starts on the right hand side of the road after a few minutes' walk. This is part of the Grand Lake Reserve trail system. Everything was well marked. The trail markers were just far enough apart to make me pay attention, without feeling like someone was holding my hand the whole way. There are lots of very cool rock formations and the lake overlook was very peaceful. It took me about an hour to complete. The trails markers are yellow, going clockwise from the parking lot, then change to black to get back to a different parking lot. Walk up the road 0.5 miles to get back to the original parking lot. You can also take a slight detour following the white markers which will catch back up to the black markers. I didn't do this however. The trail initially was overgrown but not impassable. I wore pants, boots, and long sleeves. Most of the trail is a narrow, single file trail. All low lying areas were dried up yesterday, no mud.

Proper footwear is a definite for this trail. Very rocky in sections. Some spots are slightly over grown but not impassable. Trails are well marked although in a few spots on the yellow trail we had to stop for a minute to find the trail markers again. Super peaceful sitting by the lake.

Beautiful trail it's 4 miles. I almost step on a timber rattlesnake it was five feet from me back up slow thank God I seen it before I walk on it

Mon Sep 03 2018

There are several good viewing points on high terrain. I really like how the trail isn't laden with thick brush and you can easily identify markers to keep you on the path.

Sun May 06 2018

A great set of trails!Well planned with beautiful overlooks.Very few wet spots even after heavy rains. I have been across it a couple times this spring.Will provide a good workout.Quiet and pristine.Black fly season but still worth the time.

Mon Feb 05 2018

This trail is fantastic in the height of summer and colors of fall. The terrain and flora are extremely diverse, from a stand of shagbark hickory, to little gorge-like valleys, to rocky overlooks, to hilltop maple strolls with cast iron-strewn ruins. The length of the trail is perfect for a morning or afternoon walk. Some of the trail gets waterlogged, so footwear with that in mind is probably a good idea.

recorded Recording - Jul 10, 11:49 AM