Gothics via Pyramid Peak

Gothics via Pyramid Peak is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

19 minutes ago

was it hard?!
yes it was one of the hardest trails I ever did but keep in mind I'm a heavy guy and amateur hiker.
would I ever do it again?! yes 100% in fact I'm planning to work hard to make full great range loop in the future.
it was an amazing experience!!!

Great trip!! View from Pyramid is amazing and the Gothics view is pretty stellar. Large chunk of the hike is along Lake Road. Sawteeth summit is a short distance from Pyramid...worth a trip as well

Hello everyone. Could you please recommend some nice spots closer to the summit for the tents (probably 2)? Planning a 2 day hike. Thanks

Awesome. Probably the most challenging hike I’ve done to date. It involves many instances of climbing over some large and loose boulders. I wouldn’t recommend unless you were in very good shape. We summited in a little under three hours (both of us are/were athletes in college.) The only lame part is the fact that you have to walk ~2 miles through a road and country club if you access it from the free parking zone.

The one-star rating is only because the map and description do not show the parking correctly. Check all the other AllTrails.com descriptions for hikes in this area, and those do show the correct, legal parking.

did the Gothics via beaver falls.(parked at the Ausable Club) Taking this way is pretty unforgiving, once you hit the falls its an unrelenting climb to the summit. The trail itself is well maintained but I wouldnt recomend this route for a novice hiker. Its a challenging hike but man is it pretty! much easier on the way down than on the way up!! After the slide you can pretty much trail run back to the falls. Take some time to soak your feet in it ;)

GORGEOUS HIKE, but its tough. Probably one of the hardest hikes I've done in the ADK. The beginning of the hike is fine, first sections are on a dirt road and very boring, but we saw deer so I was entertained. It is a decent haul to even hit the base of the mountain, once there it gets steep fast (that is what I struggled with). We hiked to Sawteeth then continued to Pyramid Peak, which was by far the best views! You see Gothics and others, I enjoyed this very much. The hike to Gothics can look intimidating but it wasn't so bad. Continue to Gothics and if you have time/energy hit Armstrong and Lower/Upper Wolf Jaw. I was slow with this one and we were running out of light so we ended up going to Armstrong then heading down the Beaver Meadow Trail. Overall an awesome hike and you can knock off some high peaks (We did 3, but you could do 5 if you wanted).

Hiked in July 2017.
Follow me on Instagram for pictures of the hikes and other adventures @wildrumpfie

One of my favorite trails in the ADK. The trail starts at the Ausable golf course so the first mile or so is a walk along a dirt road, which makes for an easier start and finish, especially when tired. Once you reach the bridge, follow the signs to the left - there will be a "Scenic Route" sign. You'll walk along the lake and slowly gain elevation so take time to enjoy the views. The summit of Sawteeth is tree'd, so much so that I never saw the marker or really realized I had hit the summit. You can either turn back here or continue on to hit Pyramid Peak (Not a 46er, but has some amazing views) and Gothics. I would HIGHLY recommend you continue on to Gothics as the views are amazing! You can see much of the ADK and have a great view of the Ausable lake below. Take time to enjoy the views from Pyramid Peak to Gothics - just turn around at any point along that trail for great views.

Great hike with impressive views of the high peaks.
We started around 6:45 AM (early start to allow for a leisurely break at the summit). Walked about a million (5) miles on the road to reach the trailhead. Before beginning our ascent, we stopped at Rainbow Falls. Highly recommended, only a few minutes off the main trail.

The next couple miles up to the junction between Pyramid and Sawteeth was a steady incline, but not too difficult. The final 0.6 push to Pyramid was challenging but the views are worth the effort. At 4500 feet, I’m counting it as the 47th high peak, even though it is considered too close to Gothics to qualify.

The trail from Pyramid to Gothics looks intimidating but goes quickly. Views on Gothics are also very impressive offering 360 views and a large, mostly bald summit. Ideal spot for a lunch break if I do say so myself.

Descended down the beaver meadow trail, with a quick stop to cool down at Beaver Meadow Falls before our 5k stroll on the road to the car. Finished around 4:30 PM. All in all a fantastic hike with rewarding views. Highly recommended. 10/10 would hike again.

Beautiful hike ,but long ! I didn't do saw teeth peak ,

Perfect day, perfect hike!

The coolest high peaks trail in my opinion. Great exposure moving up the cable or the summit. Beware of the false summit, because when you think you’re done, you’re not.

Beautiful views from both Pyramid and Gothic. Unfortunate that you have to walk on the road so long before getting onto the trail (nearly 3 miles) but I suppose I'll take that instead of more uphill hiking. Closer to 14 miles round trip, took almost 9 hours with stops on both peaks.

We did this hike on sunday 22 of april . Starter at 7:15 on a very nice rising sun . Headed to the rainbow Falls at about 3miles from the parking . From the Falls we hike up until we reech an intersection that we had to take a right . So we did . There was no foot steps . We open the trail .Good thing we had braught our snowshoes. Guiding ourselves with openings in the forest and looking for the blue tags on the trees .It was a chaleng to find the trail. We reeched the summit . It was covered of snow . The view is awesome. Its Worth the effort . My wife my son and I were very proud to have done this hike . Got back to the car 5:00pm . +/- 13 miles .

This hike was a ton of fun! Completed it on 12/2/17. Decided to do Sawteeth as well. Our route went as follows: parked at the Ausable Club and hiked up Lake Road to the dam at the Northern end of Lower Ausable Lake where we crossed the bridge and began our ascent. Hiked up to the trail junction where we turned left to first summit Sawteeth. Around 8" of snow at the summit there. Then, we headed back to the split and went up toward Gothics via Pyramid. On this trail there was over a foot of snow the entire way (already!!) with drifts up to 2 feet. Made some hot cocoa up tip and had a near-death experience as I slipped and fell and slid at the peak of Gothics. If it weren't for a rock sitting on the summit I would've slid right off the peak. Word to the wise: ALWAYS WEAR SPIKES AT EXPOSED SUMMITS. Overall a great hike that ended up being about 18 miles round-trip.

Incredible views! Well worth the difficult hike!

A Gothic Adventure:
Adirondack Park, in Upstate New York, is six million acres of beautiful mountains and lakes, an area so big that Glacier, Yosemite, the Great Smokies, Yellowstone, and the Grand Canyon National Parks could fit inside it. There are over 2000 miles of hiking trails in the Adirondack Park, the largest trail system in the US. Adirondack Mountains, which lie in-side the park, are growing faster than the Himalayas, one foot every 100 years. Hike Peaks Wilderness area has some of the highest peaks in the park, over 4000 feet in elevation. One such peak is Gothics Mountain, at 4734 feet, with its sheer rock face resembling Gothic architecture.
We decided to hike Gothics mountain on August 12th and began researching the various trails leading up to the peak. Hiking up to Pyramid mountain via Weld trail and then to the summit of Gothics was the shortest route up. For coming down we decided upon the relatively gentler but longer Beaver Meadow trail, making it roughly 6 miles round-trip hike with nearly 4000 ft of elevation change. Now, the access to these trails is from Ausable Club, which adds another 6 miles or so of relatively flat terrain to the total hike. This would prove to be more tiring later!
On a cloudy Friday afternoon, with thunderstorms in the forecast for Saturday, 4 of us left on a six-hour drive to St. Huberts NY, where we had booked a cottage for two nights. We reached our destination just as the evening light was fading away. After a quick dinner at a local diner we were in our beds, checking the weather forecast once again for the next day. It called for afternoon thunderstorms so we decided to get an early start to our hike.
By 6 AM we were out on the road, driving to a small parking area for Giant Mountain, Roaring Brook Falls, just 5 minutes away from our cottage. Once we made sure we had all our hiking gear from the car, we crossed the road to enter the Ausable club access way. After about 0.5 miles of walking by a golf course and some tennis courts, we reached a ranger station where we signed in at about 6:30 AM. Then we passed through a gate to get to an unpaved road which would lead us to the trailhead. Lake road, as it is appropriately called, goes up to Lower Ausable Lake. We reached the lake by 8 AM and took some pictures of the beautiful surroundings. Then we crossed a wooden bridge, overlooking a dam, to get to the actual start of the hike.
The trail quickly became rocky, as we proceeded through the woods. We made a quick side-stop to Rainbow Falls, which is 150 feet of cascades in a narrow gorge. Back on the trail, it was a steady incline all the way. Soon the rocks became larger and the trail steeper. Around 10 AM we reached the intersection of Pyramid and Sawteeth mountain trails. We turned right towards Pyramid mountain as we were engulfed by clouds. The vegetation was more arctic and in certain spots our only hope of climbing up was to hold on to the trees and push ourselves up. We were on our fours by this time and the trail was very arduous. After an hour and a half of relentless climbing we reached Pyramid Mountain whose summit was a large smooth rock amongst the dense vegetation. The surrounding view was blocked by clouds but we got some glimpses whenever there was a break in the clouds. We could see the sharp rock slides beneath us and the series of lakes in the distance. The view was hallucinogenic.
After a brief halt where we rested our tired backs, it was off towards the summit of Gothics. The trail descended over the col and then climbed steeply again. We were dealing with a muddy trail from earlier rain and it was tricky to circumvent the wet sections. By 12:30 PM we finally reached the summit of Gothics mountain. Perched on the rocks was another hiker who had climbed over from the other side on a trail that involves chains.
This was a good spot for a lunch break, though I found it tough to eat anything due to dryness in my throat. We all made phone calls to our family members and even did FaceTime to share the incredible view from above. By this time the clouds had rolled away for us to enjoy the view. After half an hour, we slowly headed down by Beaver Meadow trail.
Going downhill posed its own unique challenges. The muddy trail and slippery rocks made the going very slow as we would cautiously approach each turn. A small misstep could send us hurtling down the steep sides. We held on to vegetation for support at each step. Some larger rock sections had wooden ladders placed over them to make it easier to climb. We crossed bogs of mud as we slowly continued our descent. This trail is more frequented and we met groups of people heading up the way. By this time, we had split into two groups and as usual I ended up bringing up the rear. My bodybuilder friend who had kept up with the pace so far had started cramping in his left leg and found going downhill tougher.
After a long couple of hours, we reached a trail junction where the other two hik

We actually left out of the Garden parking lot and went up Saddleback and then Gothics. We hit some downpour at the stairs and some of the slopes were a little tricky due to the amount of water, but it was still a great time. We went with some newer people and they did not move as fast as we were hoping... we tried to go back the south side of the river to save some time, but we got to a point where the trail was washed out. We later saw that warning on the sign at the split... we all missed it on the way out. Saddleback had great views at the top - the wind was whipping but the clouds were flowing over the mountains pretty quickly. We were in a cloud on top of Gothics so no view but fun to climb the ropes in the fog. Overall a great fairly challenging hike.

What a great hike. We took the West Creek trail from the gate at the Ausable Club, but weren't sure if it would connect with the Beaver Meadows Trail (it does), so we turned back and crossed to Enchanted Rocks bridge and used the East Creek trail to access the trail up to the saddle between Armstrong and Gothics. Very steep ascent to the col, then a quick ridge run to the summit of Gothics. Great views from the summit although it was somewhat raucous and crowded. On descending the Range Trail to pick up the Weld Trail, we overshot the cutoff (sign was not at the intersection but a bit down to the south, out of view) and ended up at an unnamed overlook with great views to the east. We found the Weld Trail and descended to the col between Gothics and Pyramid. The ascent of Pyramid looks longer and steeper than it really is, and the view of Gothics, Saddleback and the Dial, Nippletop, Blake and Colvin peaks is quite remarkable from the summit. The descent from Pyramid was arduous. Upon reaching the foot of Lower Ausable Lake we stopped to view Rainbow Falls before crossing the dam and walking out four miles on the Lake Road. The road went on forever and was boring, but after 11 plus miles of hiking on trails, the footing was easy. We hiked over 9 hours and about 15 miles. I ran out of battery for my phone, so my GPS track stops abruptly on the descent on the Weld Trail.

I thoroughly loved this hike! It's a nice climb at the beginning with soft terrain, and becomes more challenging towards the top when the trail becomes rockier. Pyramid Peak offers great views of the High Peaks, and the river below provides amazing scenery as well as a wonderful waterfall near the end (or beginning depending on which way you start the hike). Also, the trees really provide shade on the way up which is great on sunny days. I highly recommend this hike as it is well-marked and strenuous, but not a killer hike!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

awesome trail. one of the hardest and streneous ones from what I have hiked so far.

Monday, July 03, 2017

An amazing hiking trail with outstanding views..But this hiking trail is not for beginners

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Incredible hike! Me and a friend hiked this guy in 6 hours total of hiking. I would just like to point out that if you use the directions they give here, you end up at Ausable Country Club, and you are not allowed to park here, the actual parking is down the road about half a mile past Ausable, and then you can hope on the Lake Road and get onto west river trail and be on your way!

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Exceptional views from Pyramid but noticeably steeper and harder than other highpeakes in the area such as Giant. Quite strenuous.