Gorge Trail

Gorge Trail is a 0.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Newfield, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Unexpectedly beautiful and unique. Well worth it

Absolutely beautiful trail tucked in middle of the city. Hard to find this much scenery in such a short trail.

The falls are magical and there’s great picture spots all along the way.

*PLEASE NOTE THE TRAIL CLOSURE SIGNS. IF THIS TRAIL IS CLOSED AND YOU TRESPASS, YOU WILL BE FINED*

...I learned that the hard way.

Okay, so I made a huge mistake and ended up getting bucked off an open trail and onto a closed trail. Upon arrival, I noticed the Gorge Trail closure was clearly posted. So I took off on the Finger Lakes trail instead, hoping to catch some good Top-Down views of Lucifer falls.

Well folks, I ended up missing a trail marker, headed off down a deer path and wound up on the Gorge Trail. I was stopped maybe an hour later by a state trooper who had been monitoring trail traffic. I received a citation and was escorted out of the park.

Please keep an eye out for trail markers if you're here off season.

I thought a citation was a little harsh especially as there were other hikers out on the Finger Lakes Trail and the Rim Trail. Since I wasn't from the local area, I had assumed since I saw other hikers that I was in fact, on the OPEN Finger Lakes trail. Unfortunately for me I must not have navigated a junction properly and it cost me.

tl;dr - watch where you're going here. if the trail is closed, they do not post markers at every junction, but only at the trail heads.

Enjoy the pictures I took though! They only cost me ~$500 in fines :)