Goodnow Mountain Trail

Goodnow Mountain Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newcomb, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Was able to do the whole trail right around 2 hours up and down. Definitely a great trail for the short distance.

Good easy hike with family and small dog!

Hiked this trail on 8-2-18. It is.not difficult for anyone in normal health I was with two 50 that were able to easily complete the trip.
The trail was well maintained. The views are very nice. There is some interesting moss hanging from the trees. More like something you’d see in Louisiana. The top was busy with people chatting and relaxing. The fire tower offered nice views to many lakes and ponds as well as the mountains. I had binoculars with me which mad viewing even better.
I would do this hike again.

A very well-maintained trail with beautiful views from the fire tower. We thought it was perfect; challenging but not too steep. We arrived at 10:30am on a Saturday in early August. The parking lot was half full. When we finished, the lot was nearly full. Out and back took us 3 hours with a leisurely break at the top. We met a lot of friendly hikers. We stopped at the Adirondack Interpretive Center for a picnic lunch on the way home.

Beautiful hike. Not a fan of climbing fire towers but I did it! Worth every step!

Nice gentle ascent to the top. Nice views when you climb the fire Tower.

We did this hike as part of the Adirondack Fire Tower Challenge. As Fire Tower hikes go, this one is a nice one. It is well maintained (Both Trail and Tower) and it has 180 degree views. If you haven't spent much time in the area, I suggest you take the time to visit the VIC and if you paddle, Rich Lake!

Hiked the trail a few days ago with two family members, great trail but my only qualms would be with the other hikers.

There was some litter on the trail and kids not being supervised by their parents. One was running down the trail, cut through our group and tripped and fell hard down a 3 foot dirt embankment. Another caught up to us and turned to leave the trail!! We told him to stay on the trail and he listened.

Note to anyone thinking of doing this hike:please follow the basic rules of hiking:

What you carry in you carry it out. Don’t litter!!

Minors should be supervised at ALL TIMES.

Never, EVER leave the marked trail.

Step aside for the people descending.

Also if you hike a mountain with a fire tower realize that when you get to the top there could be people waiting to climb the tower. They are finite space so wait and ask the other people I the summit if they’re waiting. Don’t overcrowd the tower/stairway/landing!!

As others have stated, an incredible 360 degree view from the fire tower, with no scrambling! FYI signs posted today 7/13 at the trailhead stated the trail will be closed 7/16-7/20/18 for trail maintenance. If you're looking for another hike in the area with great views (no fire tower) I highly recommend Moxham Mountain.

This was a fantastic, short hike with extraordinary views from the fire tower. Bang for your buck, it might be the best views for such a short hike. The trick is to get there early, because by 10:30 AM the trail is very busy. We arrived at 8 AM and there were only two people on the mountain ahead of us. There were absolutely no bugs on the way up. I would easily recommend this for beginners and families with young children. It was one of the sturdiest fire towers I’ve yet to see.

Great hike, not at all difficult. Did it 6/30/18 with my wife, 7 and 10 year old with no issues at all. Trail is pretty wide, no bouldering at all and the incline really was mild with plenty of more level segments to get a rest if you need it. Really interesting "octopus tree" with roots growing over a boulder early in the hike. Then towards the summit there is an old damaged horse barn which made for some cool pictures. The fire tower is open and well worth the view. If you bring a map you can locate the various lakes and other notable peaks. That was an activity the kids loved! We were up and down in about 3 hours and the bugs weren't too terrible. We started out early so there were only 3 people on the summit and that let us spend as much time in the tower as we wanted. On the way back down, around 10:30 am, the trail was starting to get much busier.

Family friendly trail. Nice and wide for when there is the occasional traffic. Fantastic fire tower at the top for a 360 degree view

Nice hike highly recommend. Easy start and mild up hill all the way nothing crazy.

Great hike, bugs were awful!

Great hike! Rather muddy at the bottom and the flies were pretty bad so bug net and bug spray is highly suggested.

Very good hike to the top. Very easy and i loved it. Weather was perfect

Amazing views of entire High Peaks wilderness! Firetower is a large one, and was open! Stunning views well worth the 4.0mi moderate climb up! Highly recommended.

Hiked this yesterday (4/28/18). The trail was very muddy for the first mile which wasn't bad. As you get higher in elevation the trail is covered with packed snow/ice so bring micro spikes. It started to rain on the way down and parts of the trail became waterlogged and at times it was like a waterfall. Had a great hike and enjoyed the rain!

I climbed this trail with my bro, both equipped with snowshoes! In winter, this trail is beautiful! We took some amazing pictures! The view from the fire tower is phenomenal! It was really cold and windy up there, but it is so worth it!

Great view from the tower and a nice little cabin at the top to read up on its history! Just a few days after the storm (3-11-18 hiked) so snowshoes were a must. First time snowshoeing and I’m glad it was done on Goodnow! A couple little icy streams along the way. There was another cabin of sorts about 3/4 of the way at the top but it appeared to have mostly collapsed under the weight of recently accumulated snow.

Have hiked this trail at least 20 times starting as a youngster. It never disappoints and views from the fire tower will are amazing!! If it’s a windy day, the tower does shake. Climb anyway!!!

Beautiful hike today up Goodnow! Great views from the tower, with hardly any ice on the trail (I was fine without micro spikes, just wore my trail runners). What a great day to get outside.

Awesome trail with awesome views...was alittle icy but nothing you couldn't get through. I'd say this trail is a strong moderate.

Great view from the tower!

One of my all time favorite hikes! Beautiful scenery on the way up and the views from the fire tower are amazing. I agree with the moderate ranking but well worth the hike.

We went for sunset and sunrise in mid October.. Took 2 hrs round trip. The view is beautiful , totally worth it. Mind you it is muddy so bring water-resistant hiking boots. Bring extra clothing for the top of tower as well since it is very windy .

Just gorgeous and very well maintained trail.

Awesome hike , fantastic views was 2.0 miles to tower

A 4 mile round trip this hike is considered moderate. We thought it was a bit over moderate. Lots of rocky uphills and mud. The view was amazing!

The trail was great, a little thin at some point where we had to walk ourselves and our dogs in a line. A touch muddy at some point but mostly solid with tracks around the mud pits. The view from the top is amazing and well worth the quick hike!