Goodnow Mountain Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newcomb, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great hike that would’ve been a lot easier had it not been for the frequent mud jumping. The views from the tower were stunning and I even saw a guy hiking in sandals

Snowy, muddy and slippery today but still a great hike. Gradual climb with lots of bridges and stairs.

Did goodnow today. Very nice hike. Fire tower was in good shape. Nice view :)

10/13/18 Trail was covered in the changing leafs but pretty easy to follow. The top of the tower was so beautiful. Saw a rainbow on the top! Must go for sure!

This was the 4th fire tower challenge for my 5 year old an I (brought the wife along on this one).

Day was wet, so that along with the leafs covered rocks and ankle breaker roots made for slow going. Took us 2h up and 1.5h down.

There is one section near the top where you enter an evergreen grove that is covered with hanging moss. The day we did it the mountain top was fogged in. When we entered this section my boy stopped us and said "it looks like we are on another planet". He was right.

The fire tower is super tall, unfortunately for us, we did it on peak color change, but had no view.

We will probably do this one again on our way to completing the fire tower challenge, just so we get to see the view.

A little overgrown, but very passable. Nice views at the top...fall color change underway. The change from deciduous to conifer on the way up is so sudden it's amazing.

One of my favorite hikes ever. View at the top is so beautiful, trail is very nice the whole way up, not a very difficult hike but you really get up there feeling the Adirondack vibes.

It was incredible!!!

Lovely hike; very diverse forest; trail conditions on 9/13/18 were wet but completely manageable. A fair amount of overgrowth over the trail in some spots but still passable. A little jungle-like! As far as difficulty, I’d rate it as moderate for the average hiker; easy for die-hards; and moderate to difficult for newbies because of roots and rocks and foot placement. There are a number of boardwalks on the trail which lends a friendlier, easier feel to the hike, and offers a nice reprieve from tricky foot work just when you need it, it seems! This is an interpretive trail but I failed to notice many of the markers. There is a surprising descent-then-ascent near the summit prior to reaching the tower. The tower itself is smaller than others I’ve climbed and incredibly sturdy and safe to climb. The cab is very small. I’d say three adults would be crowded! But as I had the cab and summit to myself, it was perfect. A 360 degree view of the ADKs. Incredible and absolutely one of the best I’ve seen so far.

I was visited by a pine marten in the little patch of conifers at the base! He climbed the trunk and stared right at me for about fifteen seconds. I have NEVER seen one in person and to see one this close (maybe 12 feet away), is somewhat of a wildlife marvel, I believe!

Family friendly for sure. Large parking lot. Enjoy!

We hiked goodnow on September 9,2018. Temperatures were in the low to mid 50s ideal for a hike.
Our lab, Stella hiked this with us.
The trail itself was about as good as any we have hiked in the Adirondacks. Conditions were dry and the trail was in excellent condition. There was a number of boardwalks over ravines and probable wet spots. And there was a number of stone and wooden steps cut into the trail, along with wooden traps to slow and divert rain runoff.
No views to speak of until you reach the summit. And at the peak, the view is limited. But once you climb the Sixty foot fire tower the view is awesome!!!
Kind of a scary ascent, narrow stairs and only some chicken wire to keep u safe. But oh so worth the climb.
This is a great hike, not too strenuous, yet a pleasure to walk to it’s conclusion.
And lots of hardwood trees, in the fall this must be stunning!

Second fire tower today. Views from atop tower are well worth the hike. It was fairly crowded being a Saturday on a holiday weekend. Great for the whole family.

We really enjoyed everything about this hike. We got an early start so we enjoyed the summit and tower for over a half hour all to ourselves. The hike is gentle on a well maintained trail. This is one of the nicest views that I have seen from a tower, and the cabin is set up so you can peek into the windows and take a trip back in time. This is a must do if you enjoy fire towers.

Me and my two daughters Tessa (10) and Nora (8) did this hike today and it was well worth it. Took about an hour to reach the top and the views were great at the top. Not a bad hike at all, would definitely do it again

Was able to do the whole trail right around 2 hours up and down. Definitely a great trail for the short distance.

Good easy hike with family and small dog!

Hiked this trail on 8-2-18. It is.not difficult for anyone in normal health I was with two 50 that were able to easily complete the trip.
The trail was well maintained. The views are very nice. There is some interesting moss hanging from the trees. More like something you’d see in Louisiana. The top was busy with people chatting and relaxing. The fire tower offered nice views to many lakes and ponds as well as the mountains. I had binoculars with me which mad viewing even better.
I would do this hike again.

A very well-maintained trail with beautiful views from the fire tower. We thought it was perfect; challenging but not too steep. We arrived at 10:30am on a Saturday in early August. The parking lot was half full. When we finished, the lot was nearly full. Out and back took us 3 hours with a leisurely break at the top. We met a lot of friendly hikers. We stopped at the Adirondack Interpretive Center for a picnic lunch on the way home.

Beautiful hike. Not a fan of climbing fire towers but I did it! Worth every step!

Nice gentle ascent to the top. Nice views when you climb the fire Tower.

We did this hike as part of the Adirondack Fire Tower Challenge. As Fire Tower hikes go, this one is a nice one. It is well maintained (Both Trail and Tower) and it has 180 degree views. If you haven't spent much time in the area, I suggest you take the time to visit the VIC and if you paddle, Rich Lake!

Hiked the trail a few days ago with two family members, great trail but my only qualms would be with the other hikers.

There was some litter on the trail and kids not being supervised by their parents. One was running down the trail, cut through our group and tripped and fell hard down a 3 foot dirt embankment. Another caught up to us and turned to leave the trail!! We told him to stay on the trail and he listened.

Note to anyone thinking of doing this hike:please follow the basic rules of hiking:

What you carry in you carry it out. Don’t litter!!

Minors should be supervised at ALL TIMES.

Never, EVER leave the marked trail.

Step aside for the people descending.

Also if you hike a mountain with a fire tower realize that when you get to the top there could be people waiting to climb the tower. They are finite space so wait and ask the other people I the summit if they’re waiting. Don’t overcrowd the tower/stairway/landing!!

As others have stated, an incredible 360 degree view from the fire tower, with no scrambling! FYI signs posted today 7/13 at the trailhead stated the trail will be closed 7/16-7/20/18 for trail maintenance. If you're looking for another hike in the area with great views (no fire tower) I highly recommend Moxham Mountain.

This was a fantastic, short hike with extraordinary views from the fire tower. Bang for your buck, it might be the best views for such a short hike. The trick is to get there early, because by 10:30 AM the trail is very busy. We arrived at 8 AM and there were only two people on the mountain ahead of us. There were absolutely no bugs on the way up. I would easily recommend this for beginners and families with young children. It was one of the sturdiest fire towers I’ve yet to see.

Great hike, not at all difficult. Did it 6/30/18 with my wife, 7 and 10 year old with no issues at all. Trail is pretty wide, no bouldering at all and the incline really was mild with plenty of more level segments to get a rest if you need it. Really interesting "octopus tree" with roots growing over a boulder early in the hike. Then towards the summit there is an old damaged horse barn which made for some cool pictures. The fire tower is open and well worth the view. If you bring a map you can locate the various lakes and other notable peaks. That was an activity the kids loved! We were up and down in about 3 hours and the bugs weren't too terrible. We started out early so there were only 3 people on the summit and that let us spend as much time in the tower as we wanted. On the way back down, around 10:30 am, the trail was starting to get much busier.

Family friendly trail. Nice and wide for when there is the occasional traffic. Fantastic fire tower at the top for a 360 degree view

Nice hike highly recommend. Easy start and mild up hill all the way nothing crazy.

Great hike, bugs were awful!

Great hike! Rather muddy at the bottom and the flies were pretty bad so bug net and bug spray is highly suggested.

Very good hike to the top. Very easy and i loved it. Weather was perfect

Amazing views of entire High Peaks wilderness! Firetower is a large one, and was open! Stunning views well worth the 4.0mi moderate climb up! Highly recommended.