Good Luck Mountain and Lake Trail

Good Luck Mountain and Lake Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Caroga Lake, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Well worth it. The review below is very helpful, especially the note about the sign for the cliffs which is very easily missed for being so high.

This is a very enjoyable hike. The first 1.5 miles is very easy, some rocks and mud here and there, but nothing terrible. Once you see the lake from the trail you are nearing the turn to the cliffs. There are a couple of side trails to campsites and the shore of the lake as well. Once you continue on you will cross a small snowmobile bridge, and shortly after you will see a second one, the turn to the cliffs is just before that second bridge on the right. It would be easy to miss the sign pointing to the cliffs as it higher than expected. The trail up to the cliffs is what you might expect from any Adirondack mountain trail. Nothing terrible, roots and rocks, and some soft muddy spots and blow downs. The trail up is not well marked, but is well worn and easy to follow. I saw three blue trail markers on the way up and down. Take a mental note of where you arrived on top, as nothing is marked and you could start to descend in a different spot. The location of the cliffs is obvious, and very nice. Overall a nice 4 mile hike. Gets the heat pumping.

Great day trip. We spent about 3 hours total hiking around. The climb to the cliffs was steeper than we expected but doable for me, my 12 year old daughter and our flat coated retriever. Tree roots make it for the most part, natural stairs so it’s easy to keep footing. Also hiked to Good Luck Lake. I’ll be going back. Only a few slightly muddy spots. Overall pretty dry.

A group of 6 of us really enjoyed this trail yesterday morning. Nice and flat for awhile then a steep incline, but the view is worth it. A bit difficult getting down, but not too bad. Plenty of water in streams available for dogs.

This is my third time doing this trail...The sign moved, so I walked two hours in the wrong direction past the trail, haha. I included a photo of the sign to show you where it is so you don’t miss it. I absolutely love this hike! The trail is easy to follow (if you keep your eyes open) and not too difficult, so I’m not sure why it’s rated as “hard”. It is very muddy after the rain we’ve had, but boards are randomly placed to help maneuver through in most spots. The view is decent at the top but has grown in a lot since the last time I was there; Beautiful nonetheless. Good Luck Cliffs is a great taste of the Adirondacks and super dog friendly ♥️

There are 2 entrances, one for the lake and one for the cliffs. We made the mistake of initially heading into the lake entrance not even looking at the sign. Got off the trail and had to find our way back to the road to get to the correct entrance to the cliffs. Once on the correct trail, it was beautiful. A little muddy in spots but not bad at all. Trail markers are limited so you definitely have to pay attention but overall a fantastic hike! Definitely gets your blood pumping!

I must have screwed up somewhere because we never found a peak at all, and ended up on the snow mobile trail the entire time. Good workout, but I wanted to get to the top... all flat, no steep inclines like I was looking for. What did I miss?

The hike in to the cliff trail turn off was super easy... the cliff trail was challenging for this novice hiker. It was difficult to see the markers. Once we made it to the top the view was great. Total hiking time was 90 minutes in and out.

This trail was a bit challenging after doing another short hike earlier in the day. I’d recommend wearing boots. We found the cliffs/view, but was uncertain at first due to the lack of trail markers. When you reach the top, the cliffs are straight through the not as heavily forested area. The view was extremely beautiful however.

Close to Pillsbury and was a perfect backup when Pillsbury Mtn was closed. Nice hike and view. would do it again.

Fun short hike... gets more challenging once you turn off towards the cliffs but nothing too hard. Nice view from the top but not spectacular.

Great hike. It's very up so be prepared. At top of cliffs keep pets and Children from edge. The rock formations are phenomenal!

Good view at the top. Lots of roots and mud. Pretty easy hike. Whoever was lucky enough to steal my ray bans I accidentally left and went back for... awesome for you.

First we got lost and went a lot farther than we had to. The sign for where you turn for Good Luck Cliffs was very small and high up. Do not pass the larger of the bridges, its about 20 feet long the second of the real bridges. There are bears around just to warn. Last of all it is very wet the ground is very mushy, I thought the people in the reviews went after it rained but that's not true it's just very wet, and very steep!

Excellent hike, really gets the blood pumpin. It's great cardio substitute and the view is gorgeous whether it's Summer/Winter/Fall/Spring HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Beautiful hike. Starts mild but very slushy. Wet rocks and roots make for a slippery trek - definitely advise wearing hiking boots. A good walking stick or trekking pole is helpful - especially on the descent. We did the extra little bit to see Good Luck Lake. That was nice but you can't really get to the edge of the lake due to the surrounding marsh. We saw a few orange newts and a tiny orange frog. Other than that we didn't come across any critters. The cliff rocks at and near the top are really cool. And the view at the top makes it worth the climb.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Great hike, stay to right after you pass first snowmobile bridge. This will bring you to the summits of the cliffs. Really muddy on the travel up and down so wear a waterproof hiking boot. At the top of its populated not much room for privacy, the look out are is not that large. I hiked at 5pm and no one their. Great short hike with a rewarding view.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Decent hike as long as you don't miss the turn to start the ascent, trail sign is above eye level

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Very good hike starts easy and closer to the peak it's very steep, I went on a muddy after rain day and there was perfect amount grip with all roots, my Labrador did not struggle at all, the top wasn't wet glorious and it was small space giving less privacy if there is more than one group up there. Besides that it was a good hike!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

I loved this hike and I plan to go back when it's drier. My only issue was that I missed where the trail to the cliffs diverges from the main trail. It's not well marked and I continued for about a mile before I realized my mistake and turned around. A bit after you pass the lake on your left you'll come to a small snowmobile bridge followed by a second, larger bridge. Right before the second bridge, there is a small sign on the right hand side (it's well above eye level) with an arrow that says Good Luck Cliffs, next to another tree with a blue trail marker. The rest of the trail is unmarked but easy to follow.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

I got completely lost just shy of the cliffs, never made it. Walked completely out of my way on an old snowmobile trail (secondary 81 trail) for a few hours hoping to find a road ended up calling rangers to help me out phone was just about dead and was alone. Turned into a ten mile adventure hike :) all in all it was a good day. Minus the "Goodluck" part.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Tough climb, but beautiful view at top!!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Nice trail needs to be marked better. We went to the cliffs it is a challenge,

Sunday, April 16, 2017

I loved this hike, my beagle/basset, niece and I hiked it yesterday. The view is breathtaking!

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

we love this hike and the incline at the end makes you appreciate the top..

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Great trail to start the spring/summer season. Once you get the to the turn off (blue markers and clearly marked) for the cliffs it turns into an advanced hiker trail. As of 9 April 2017 micro spikes aren't needed but come in handy on the trip down. Parking is clearly marked and was not busy.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

I decided to hike this trail on a warm day in February. The trail was clearly traveled and was easy to follow with the white snow underfoot. The incline does increase as you get closer to the cliffs.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Couldn't find the path to the summit with 4 inches of snow on the ground, no foot path to follow. Still a nice hike.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Beautiful and challenging as well! Great for dogs. Trail needs better markings. Trail marked better on the way down. Quite soggy until you start heading up. Well worth it!

Thursday, October 20, 2016

got married here the beginning of October